Why do people ask questions if they can't take criticism?

I don't understand why people ask questions if they can't see other viewpoints (I'll admit I've done this a few times too in the past). I mean if someone says that disagree with them, they'll get all mad and pissy about it. Why ask a question if you can't take criticism? Why come on a website about opinions if you can't handle differing opinions?

Do do these people just want justification? What do you think?

Most Helpful Guy

• A myriad of reasons.

In some cases the person is looking to confirm some preconceived notion. In some cases it's an innate but all-too-human tendency to dislike being wrong. In some cases it's because the reply was delivered with rude and insensitive language.

And finally, in some cases the truth is very painful. Pain, both physical and emotional, has been shown to make your less intelligent. I recall there was a guy on gag who had a bewildering number of profiles yet almost always the same profile pic. He kept asking how he looked, and the overwhelming response was "unattractive." He frequently argued the point, and became very angry and sad. Many gagers were compassionate, but many weren't. A few wondered why he was getting upset, claiming they were only telling him the truth. What was he supposed to feel? Happy and thrilled that so many found him ugly? Put yourself in his shoes. Can you say with 100% certainty that you would remain stoic and calm if you discovered you were ugly to the majority? Could you say with 100% certainty that you would never lash out if you felt this pain over many decades? People might do well to remember this when they must tell a very painful truth. The person hearing it is in pain, which has been demonstrated time and again to make people less intelligent.

Most Helpful Girl

• Maybe you're right... some people may be looking for reassurance. Also just because they don't take criticism well doesn't mean they won't take that advice after thinking about it. I know I can be like this in real life sometimes, and I will go back and thank the person that helped me see something.

It's worth mentioning that some people on this website are far from constructive with criticism so that doesn't help. Some insults are completely uncalled for, and some people on this website turn everything into a debate. I guess it just depends! There are also very bitter people who ask questions too so it's a bit of everyone playing a role.

What Guys Said 15

• I agree with you. You can defend your opinion but not fight against people for having a different opinion :o

• To have their view further supported by like minded people and have their egos stroked for being so on ball with everything and right about life end of story as they think they are.

• Lots of people on gag have massive insecurities. And personality disorders.

• I wonder the same thing. I'm guessing they'd prefer to hear what they want to hear and anybody who says different is insulting them - according to themselves.

• They want they ego stroked nice a slowly and if not they block ya like a little ___

• some people ask questions just for validation!

• I don't know... if I have a strong opinion about something and think it's the only right one then I don't need to ask a question to get different ones lol

• We have too much pride. We don't like when our personal views loose the sense.
    It's very painfull to fell we failed. A believe is the most personal thing we have.

• xD when they like the answer they want to hear, but downvote the others
    GOOD GOING people!

• People ask for confirmation, if someone disagrees it bursts their bubble and they get pissy.

• I wish if i could give a mho to this question. ..

• these people just want justification. yes, i copied that, but it was the most accurate.

• we like criticize but dont like anyone to abuse here.

• cos humans..

• Beats me, I wish i knew

What Girls Said 10

• Because they're essentially just looking for approval or confirmation of what they believe to be/hope is reality. When people tell them how it really is, it feels like a slap in the face to them.

• It is very rare to find people on the Internet who are open to listening to all sides. Even some who are polite tend to get pissed off if they read an answer different than their own opinion.

• They ask the question with a specific answer in mind they want to be right so any other different answers are automatically bad and wrong as a result.

• They are seeking validation, not advice.

• Some people ask questions because they need to vent, some people need someone to pat them on the back and say they agree with them. in my opinion, both of those types are annoying and unreasonable. You can vent by writing in your diary, or you can write a poem, song etc. And those who need validation, they're just plain insecure and they don't trust themselves enough to do what they think it's right so they wait for someone to tell them it's alright to do what or think this or that.

• because there morons hahah jk I don't know bunch of babies.

• Some people can't separate their mere opinion from whom they are as a person so they take your different perspective as an insult.

• I don't know why girly i don't know why 😐

• bc they want to know what other people r thinking

• This is a damn good question.