What do you think about the emphasis on MHO percentage?

I don't have a problem with it, but it does 'reward' people who choose non-confrontational and, let's say it, boring sorts of questions to answer, and avoid making criticisms of the asker.

If your answer is full of nicey-nice 'I feel for you', and 'you'r right, that was an awful thing for him to say', you're likely to get a lot of MHO's.

If you're like me and often tell people they are too full of themselves, that they are spewing Pentagon propaganda about political questions,

that no, it is NOT all right to date a 30 year old when you are 16.。。and the like.

Not that many people who get slammed are going to give you an MHO!

In other words, high MHO people cherry pick their questions and 
avoid contradicting the questioner.

Most Helpful Girl

• In the end it is up to the asker to decide which answer they want to pick. It doesn't matter, in the end, you can't really put on resume that you had _____% MHO on a website for giving advice.

Most Helpful Guy

• I agree with you. People give MHO to whoever spouts their ideas back to them. That's the nature of the asker choosing the most helpful answer.

It would be cool if there was a statistic that basically took all your MHO's, and added up the thumb up/downs from girls and guys to give you an idea of how people feel about your answers.

• There's a bit of irony in getting MHO for a question about MHO.

Thanks!

What Girls Said 4

• Lately I see a lot of users with 18% MHO or higher.
    I think the system has changed and maybe some users have double accounts. Back in the day if you had two accounts you would have immediately be banned.
    Having an MHO average of 18% was a rare occurrence.
    That said I don't really pay much attention to it.

• I find anything over 25% hard to believe, unless you only answer a few, cherry picked questions where you just tell the asker how wonderful they are, wihtout giving any actual advice that they might not agree with.

• Even with that it used to be impossible to break out of 14% or so. Do you remember?

• I agree with you. But there are still people who are going to get some solid advice on here. I guess it really depends what the question asker is looking for.

• I think its okay i guess... its always been there.

• as long as you can still filter by time, i don't care
    i'm more annoyed that masters are still on top even after you filtered

What Guys Said 8

• Just a funny thought. I know we now live in a world of abbreviations, and as such this can at times lead to some confusion over which abbreviation you are referring to. In reading this posting it FINALLY occurred to me that MHO was Most Helpful Opinion, and not My Humble Opinion. I only mention this because while I always like to help people as much as I can I was becoming confused over why my MHO was increasing with the belief that other readers/writers liked my Humble Opinion as opposed to Most Helpful Opinion, which now makes a good deal more sense. :-)

• Over time on the site I have become a "Live and Let live" type of user feeling that with so many on the site that it is inevitable sub groups will develop MHO hunters, Xper hunters, Taggers, Debaters, Stirrers and Comedians. All I ask is that you contribute positively to the site.
    Yes there are negative ways you can become one of these group members but there is also positive/neutral ways you can do it as well.
    To be fair lets invoke the cliché "Nobody is perfect" and say also that there is no such thing as a perfect GaG user. Whatever way you use GaG, you will probably appeal to some users and rub other users up the wrong way but that's life which GaG is trying to reflect.

• I had 5.3% MHO and one day I woke up to a site update and a huge increase. I'm now at 26% and I'm certain that I did not earn it- nor previous to the update had anyone else earned such a percentage.

The system is broken and MHO means absolutely nothing. I'm not even sure how it's being calculated but there is no math involved.

• I see what you are saying.

However, some of the most satisfying MHOs that I have been awarded have been when I took on the asker and explained to them how their preconceptions were wrong.

Giving advice isn't about being combative or being a kiss ass. It s about changing perspectives and changing minds. Those are the MHO awards that I value.

• Yes I also get MHO  at TIMES from those I '
      disagree with or criticize.

But I think most high MHO people are cherry picking questions to avoid having to disagree
      with the asker...

• That's the ultimate catch 22 with MHO. The majority of the time, a viewpoint conflicting with the asker when the asker's viewpoint is talked about, doesn't get MHO.

The issue is, most GaGers when they disagree with the asker, don't answer tactfully.

From my experience, my tact when giving advice, is what has given me MHO even when I conflicted with the question asker. :-P

• I agree. One of my few blocks on here is to a well know gager with a high MHO percentage. I simply didn't want her to be able to respond to my questions. She just says what a person wants to hear, tells some story about how she's been there and understands. All I see in all her responses is a bunch of BS ass kissing.

• Eh I don't care I just say what I think and if someone makes a stupid comment I'm going to burn them with so m as ny jokes.

• I think MHO is okay, however, if the person answers five questions a week, it seems reasonable as long as they do it well, they would have a really high percentage MHO.

Not saying most people do that!