Should we be able to access people by nationality? Gag should have software for this, n'est-ce pas?

Recently I posted about Aussies being such a pleasant presence, and someone asked me how many there are. I don't keep track of that information when I answer questions.. it would be nice to be able to get a list of all the Aussies, just for example.

Most Helpful Girl

• no tthat wouldn't be fun! I want speak to everyone around the world!

• Well of course, but sometimes, wouldn't it be nice to be able to find people of a certain nationality to ask about their culture?

• yes they could make a search button!

• Awesome! THANK U!

Most Helpful Guy

• I say yes and no because invasion of privacy. But if a user wanted to say what nationality they are then have a option to if they wanted then that would be good. Another issue would be about users that are mixed would they select one or more option of what they are mixed with.

• Well right, we wouldn't force people to state
      their nationality,

• Thank you very much for selecting my answer as the most helpful opinion.

• Horray ok!

What Girls Said 4

• My concern is that how that list would be used and updated. Like do you get added when your IP address is from a certain country or when you select that country on your profile. And whats to stop pervs from going through and contacting all the people from a certain country? There are also a lot of people that choose to not share their country. How would they fit in?

• The pervs shouldn't be the ones deciding how we do things, should they? And they already target those of certain natinalities here often. True, a list would make it easier for them to target ALL of them; now they mostly hit frequent posters.

People wouldn't be forced to state their nationality, and it wouldn't be derived from where you are located. Me, I'm in China, but I'm Irish-Italian

• No, you don't need to store them by IP, that's a very inefficient approach. I would just add a drop-down menu of the countries, user picks a country and it gets stored in the database. When another user tries to reach people from a certain country, only people from this country can answer. Everybody can read the question and the answer. In the drop-down menu, I would add "Undeclared" for people that don't want to disclose this information. Unfortunately, there's no way to stop pervs on the internet. Due to the current architecture of the web, there's no full-known approach. There are only 2 types of banning, first one is by placing a cookie in the browser which can be bypassed by deleting the cookies. The second one is by banning the IP address, IPs are dynamic by default and keep changing and whoever gets the old IP of someone who got banned before will be banned by default so, it's a bad approach that's besides, anyone can use proxies and VPNs.

• Sorry, "there's no full-proof* approach"

• NOPE because this would cause division

• I think it would work rather well for the UK, Canadians and Americans. It would promote a snobbery club or class.

• Why would it be so much different from now..t it would just make it easier to find those
      who aren't frequent posters, but are of a
      certain nationalit.  We can do that now
      with the frequent posters.

• Nationality doesn't mean Asian 😜

• Filter by nationality? Heck GAG won't even let us filter by age.

What Guys Said 4

• Another filter, after sex and age?
    Why not by state or province, even town, maybe neighborhood? Why not religion too, Only Baptists, no Roman Catholics? Only Pastafarians?

• Doesn't seem necessary to be honest lol.

• Ya that would never be used for nefarious purposes.

• It's a nice idea, but there are so many countries! Keeping this updated will be tedious.

• With a computer, no work involved, people when they sign up would have the option of giving their nationality.