Do you ever fear opening your notifications?

I have anxiety, so I instantly expect terrible things. Whenever I open my notifications or try to type out a disagreement my heart races and my head hurts. I've even gone long periods of time avoiding my notifications or messages just to keep away that feeling. But GAG is basically the only thing I have to do all day besides school, so I can't stay away forever. Anyone else feel nervous or fearfulw hen opening up an argument?

Most Helpful Guy

• I still do at times. This is why I always go anonymous. When I first started using GAG, I tried never posting anything anonymously as most people find it anons cowards (even if the question itself is genuine).

But now I stopped caring of what other thinks of me and post everything anonymously (only exception is when the asker disallows anons) and do what makes me happy. My anxiety still causes me to fear opening my notifications but it isn't as bad as when I first start using GAG. Anonimity helps out my anxiety a whole lot.

This is the entire reason why I use anonymous. I wish people would stop complaining about the anonymous feature. There would be trolls regardless if it existed or not.

• When I first started using GAG, I tried never posting anything anonymously as most people find posting* anonymously* cowardly* (even if the question itself is genuine).

Sorry. I have a habit to correcting any grammar/spelling mistakes I have.

• That's why I said a lot, it has actually filtered out a lot of rude people (it isn't 100% fool proof though)

• Okay. If it's a question you dont care about discussion so much, then feel free to put it on anon. It might reduce your anxiety. Though at the same time, less people might comment on your questions. Because many people have the "All anonymous users are troll" mentality :)

Most Helpful Girl

• Nope. I tend to have plenty of notifications of arguments I have started or retards commenting with some crap. I don't mind giving my piece. But I've consistently had a lot of them and realized that I was being stupid because I was trying to change people's OPINIONS.

I can't do that and even if I could, I'm not going about it the right way. So I tend not to say anything about someone's opinion... unless if I consider it to be absolutely fucktarded. And if the majority of opinions are like that on the question... I usually don't say anything to people, but give it in my answer.

What Guys Said 7

• I would say anticipation rather than anxiety - I know they can be good or bad - Thankfully the notifications I get are about 95% positive.

• No fear, it's either someone saying something nice it someone wanting their ass kicked. No fear!! 😂😂

• No, I don't fear opening my notifications. Never.

• Never.
    I don't even fear my tax controller.

• no, I'm afraid of many things but GAG notifications are the opposite... I'm usually very happy when seeing them. Unless I said something stupid and I know I'll get hate for it or was arguing with someone

• More like annoyance. It gets tiring having to explain that no, we atheists don't eat children for breakfast.

• I get that all the time, even fb, or texts and even when someone wants to talk to me or tell me something, I actually have an anxiety problem

• Same here. The absolute worst is when you have to go to sleep or leave the house and can't see messages, just minutes after you get an "I need to ask/tell you something" message.

• ik, I always assume the worst, I get insomnia regularly becuz of this constant fear

• I'm sorry you have to go through that, I know how bad it is.

What Girls Said 9

• I don't experience that kind of anxiety but it might be because I've been on here for so long and have become used to people not liking things I say sometimes and being attacked. I think a large reason for feeling anxiety is because in real life we aren't used to people openly disagreeing with us and becoming aggressive about it.

• Oh wow.
    I have received plenty of hateful messages and comments on my opinions, but it never had such an impact on me. I actually like getting notifications and messages. I'm addicted to that orange thingy.
    I'm sorry you feel that way, that ain't healthy :/

• aw poor thing. hun don't think of it that way. u can also avoid the argument if u feel it will just create more anxiety.

• Sometimes, but I think receiving message notifications are what really get me. I have a fear that one day I'll open it up and it's going to be someone going off on me.

• hahah I would fight them off! lol and ask my mod friend to take it out!

• No, notifications on here don't make me nervous.

Try to have some confidence in yourself and your opinions. Why even care if random people from the internet don't agree with you?

• It's more the anxiety than anything else. I don't care about the people disagreeing, it's just the fact that I get into heated arguments. My heart rate increases by that fact alone, I have no idea why.

• I get that- you can't help it. Maybe the more and more it happens, the less it will affect you in the way that it does now? Also, maybe you have social anxiety in general?

• I know it's anxiety, I think it's possible that it's social

• Yes I use to but most people seem nice!

• No... I sometimes don't read them though because I know I have obviously gone against the opinion of the majority of people here and others are going to bash me but I couldn't care less what most people on here think... You shouldn't care either.

• No, but that's probably because I'm not argumentative. :P I'd worry otherwise.

• sometimes it happens with my Facebook messages and notifications.