Do people downvote on here just because they hate the person?

:P I notice people getting downvoted even when what they said wasn't even remotely offensive. Like they were just saying what their favorite food was and boom! A bunch of downvotes for what? 😂 Just curious. I thought the downvote button was for disagreeing, but people use it to rate their like or dislike for gagers now? Okay.

0|0
25|24

Most Helpful Guy

• I am not sure sometimes I get a random downvote for a seemingly non controversial comment - The only reason I can think of is that the person has an issue with me - I have never experienced a bunch of downvotes so I don't know if it carries to general group level though I have seen seemingly personal downvotes in operation on people that I think come from a place apart from disagreement with the person. There are times when I think GaG degenerates to schoolyard politics where petty jealousies and some picking on may take place.

2|1
    1|0

Most Helpful Girl

What Guys Said 23

• 3.bp.blogspot.com/.../Ricky-Gervais.gif

I don't pay attention to downvotes it's not that serious.

2|1
    1|0
  • I do not, though I know sometimes I get downvoted by some of those who hate me. I don't care, they all know what they gotta do if they hate me.

3|2
    1|1
  • I will downvote if they are wrong or use an illogical argument, I try not to downvote if they just have a different opinion but sometimes I can't help myself, though it might be that I think their opinion is wrong.

I will also downvote for spam, but I don't really see that a lot.

I tend to upvote when I agree with them or they explain something really well, or if it's funny.

I'll actually upvote someone even if I don't agree with everything they say, because I agree with them on that point, and often have tried to upvote people who have blocked me over something stupid. So I can't say I would downvote someone for hating or even disliking someone, that seems immature.

1|0
    0|0
  • I'm pretty sure there's some hardcore hatred out there. There has been some users who get downvoted regardless of what they say.

4|1
    4|0
  • Sadly, I think you are so right. I've noticed several downvotes for quite innocuous comments or opinions, all of them male!

2|0
    0|0
  • I don't know. But I was just blocked yet again after having a conversation with a couple people after merely asking the asker to rephrase his question. Apparently, he got all bent out of shape and blocked me because he failed to completely state his question properly. And he didn't want to (rephrase)? If only he clarified, I would have answered his question. Oh, well. I move on when that happens.

1|1
    0|0
  • I can't lie.

I feel most of my downvotes are from people who dislike me as a person and as a user, instead of disagreeing with my opinion.

I'm used to it. :-P

2|0
    0|0
  • Sometime I do not gonna lie but mostly its cause I didn't like how they made a wrong statement and tried to pass it off as fact

2|0
    1|0
  • Yeah I have one person who downvotes me regularly on all kinds of stuff too. Just ignore those idiots

1|1
    1|0
  • I hope not... I don't :D

2|0
    1|0
  • A person can technically disagree with anything.

But a lot of downvotes are probaly because of disliking the person or something about what they typed.

1|0
    0|0
  • im sure i get those downvotes often

1|0
    1|1
  • some people definitely do b

1|0
    1|0
  • I downvote stupid opinions, but I also downvote those people who I hate, because if they are not EXTREMELY WICKEDLY UNBELIEVABLY stupid and annoying, I will not hate them.

1|0
    1|0
  • i donwnvote because theyre stupid opinions that aren't funny.

1|0
    1|0
  • It's haters acknowledging your success more down votes = more success

1|0
    0|0
  • I never remember names here so I couldn't even if I wanted to.

1|0
    0|0
  • I think some people do, it's not right, but it is what it is

1|0
    0|0
  • Yes the downvote is for disagreeing. Why would it seem like it's not?

1|0
    1|0
  • This up voting and down voting business is a load of bollocks.

1|1
    1|0
  • yeah people are nerds

1|0
    1|0
  • When really genuinely I hate a person, their opinion is probably already too dumb not to downvote.

1|0
    1|0
  • I in the past

1|0
    1|0

What Girls Said 24

• Well when I share my opinion and it gets a lot of likes, like over 30 in total... there's always those people that down vote it for the sake of being a total ass. Oh and i'm prepared for an army of my haters to bombard me with dislikes. But i'm prepared, i've already searched their addresses :-))

1|0
    0|0
  • I feel like that happens to me sometimes. But I could also just be paranoid.

To anyone who may hate me: I'm sorry!😣

1|1
    0|0
  • some people downvote because they disagree and others because they dislike the opinion owner
    33.media.tumblr.com/...llvqieBvTs1qbi8qco1_400.gif

1|0
    0|0
  • LOL p much. I have a random male downvoter and it's just like ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

1|1
    0|0
  • Absolutely!!! Sometimes I get downvoted for absolutely NO REASON lol, just a few minutes ago I got 2 downvotes on a question about what would I like to name my kids in the future lol xD

1|1
    1|0
  • Oh, I definitely think that's why some people get downvotes. It isn't just to show disagreement, though I guess people who hate another user will dislike whatever that person says. Hah.

1|1
    1|0
  • I've never downvote for that kind of reason hahaha

I wish I could downvote the people that have blocked me tho XD

1|1
    1|0
  • Sure some people do. But it may be the fact that it's an opinion that they disagree with (even about preferences) and they show their disagreement by downvoting.

1|0
    0|0
  • I don't like it at all but than i just think i gain enemy thats the price of FAME! HAHAH lol

1|0
    1|0
  • Yeah lol it happens.
    Haters gonna hate. :D

1|1
    0|0
  • I am pretty sure I have.

1|0
    1|1
  • I don't remember usernames enough to effectively hold my grudge, haha.

1|0
    0|0
  • lol I've have my fair share of random ass down votes for no reason.

1|0
    1|0
  • Totally people like to get catty on here

1|0
    0|0
  • That's so true! Most if the down votes make no sense XD! I got down voted for loving my dog more

1|1
    0|0
  • İt happens too but it also happens they dont truly agree.

1|0
    0|0
  • I think people downvote because they disagree with what the other was saying
    I don't know :D

1|0
    0|0
  • If I could downvote your question, I would. 👎

1|0
    0|0
  • I'm sure it happens. I had a troll following my for quite some time down voting everything I posted.

1|0
    1|0
  • Yeah I have noticed this.

1|0
    1|0
  • Some people do it.

1|0
    1|0
  • Nah I never did that

1|0
    1|0
  • That's funny. I assume it's just an accidental press of the button or they strongly disagree with other people's favourite food lol.

1|0
    1|1
  • It's downvoting season.

1|0
    0|0