If someone you don't know messages you... do you stalk their history first before replying?

Or at least before giving out too much details? I never really thought much about it but recently a couple of people I don't really know started messaging me. I like meeting new people on GAG so that's no problem but I wanna know who I'm talking to so I usually check their profile first. When did they join? What questions did they ask? And I take a quick look at their opinions. I usually just pay attention if it's mostly sexual stuff or not.
This site has too many catfishes and I had already a few messaging me so I like to be careful now, even if it looks like they just wanna chitchat.
How about you?

• Yes, I like to know who I'm talking to
  • No, I don't care. Stop being paranoid
it's funny how most girls check but the guys who are at a much higher risk to get catfished don't give a fuck :P

Most Helpful Girl

• Usually, I can get a pretty good feel for the person just by what they message me. Every now and then, I will check ahead of time, though.

Most Helpful Guy

• I know where you are coming from - If someone I didn't know messaged me I would be cautious enough in early messages until I got a feel for the person which probably would include looking at their profile and posts.

What Girls Said 21

• Actually, 99% of the time I don't respond to people I haven't interacted with before or seen them around. Can't be bothered.

• I just see how many followers they have usually. I don't like the guys that try to sext me and won't take no for answer, so they usually only make it a fee messages before I block them (sad but true).

Is it a red flag for you if people have a private profile?

I only message on GAG anyway. Don't give anyone personal stuff (except sometimes my Instagram, but even then that's rare).

• nah private profile is no problem... I can bypass that mostly with google :P

• You don't seem like a creeper. Just a stalker 😝

• haha okay... good to know lol

• No I don't do that! But once I did and it was so gross! This guy had the most inapproprate stuff on his profile! I want to barf!

• I do the same sometimes. I don't like giving out much personal information to begin with so I understand where you're coming from.

• I've never had a catfish experience. All the guys I've talked to are who they say they are lol

with girls... maybe I've been catfished but I don't know. If things get weird I ignore people

• yeah as a girl you have less problems with that lol

• I do the same thing... of course I answer a lot more sexual questions I think just because they tend to he more interesting than the how do I look, or what race blah blah questions... hmmm... could be why I get weird messages 😛

• yeah I can totally understand you... the "hey I'm 13, is my 8" dick small?"-questions are much more interesting :P

• You do have a point... people are obsessed with their dicks... so weird! 😂

• I do! I think anyone who has been hurt in same way or another or let down would check to protect themselves.

• Most of the time I don't respond to people. Occasionally I do but honestly I forget to reply. A few times I have had some message me repeatedly but I ignore it.

• I don't check their history but these days if I get a message from someone I don't know then I won't respond. 90% of the time they turn out to be pervs.

• I always respond out of respect but then I check their opinions, especially if I find the convo we re having interesting.

• I don't tbh haha !!!

• you should have before starting to talk to me :P

• hahah No your faced looked good I didn't care about the rest lol <3 :p Plus you were already interesting ;)

• haha okay thanks ^_^

• Nah im assuming everyone is lying

• yes i do lol. i do exactly what you do.

• Most times yes I do check.

• Yes that's something I totally do.
    I message them back asking what tpe of person they are

• No... lol. Why would I? And just because you do some "research" doesn't mean that that person on the other side is truly that person. So it's a futile attempt in my opinion.

I go with the flow.

• Yeah, I mostly do that.

• I usually send a reply saying hey or whatever & then I creep their profile

• "creepy, weird and a big perv
    like 99% of the other guys on GAG"

• yes, just being honest :P
      but I'm nice, not a catfish and don't lie ;)

• Ha ha considering you have a pic of toad 😂😂@Toad-1

@Asker yeah at least you're honest and it's good that u at least talk to them in the comments. I don't like talking to people on here through private message so Im good.

• well then you don't have that problem anyway :P

• Im assuming when chatting that im dealing with a catfish

• No, I will reply, then check out their profile afterwards.

Like on GaG, if I see someone comment, or ask questions I find informative or funny, I'll try to message them that I hope they don't mind the follow. I'm not trying to be weird, but I know it can be awkward. There are also some that do not allow messages unless they follow you, so I feel weird just following without letting them know. I might just be weird, though.

Nothing wrong with being cautious though. There are a lot of people on here (well, the internet) that are looking for something sexual, catfishing, or trolling. Others are just trying to connect and aren't super creeps.

What Guys Said 13

• Yes, I do a little bit of checking as well.

• I always look at the user's history, they have a profile for a reason!

If the profile is private, I request a follow!

• Sure, that's not a question of stalking. Some people try to use GAG as a dating site and message all of us.
    I check out their history to see if they ask questions and give opinions. If yes, and if the message is friendly, I'll reply.

• Nope, I talk to everyone but I'm generally skeptical if I haven't a clue about the person

• I don't really care too much about who messages me, whether it's random or someone I know. I don't often follow people back either, and when it comes to catfishes, I usually give them the benefit of the doubt until proven that they are indeed a catfish.

• Stop being so paranoid BC the last few questions don't tell you all about the person

• no, but if the account is new, has a hot pic of a girl and the questions are only sexual stuff à la " I like showing off my boobs in public, is that bad" and all the opinions are dirty sexual stuff, then there is a very good reason to be suspicious. It's not that I don't talk to them but I'm careful with what I say. I had at least 3 who deactivated as soon as I asked for a proof.

their history doesn't tells you for sure if they are real or not, but it gives at least a good indication.

• haa thats a classic cat fish and yes they are common

• I usually click to check if they're a catfish or troll (new account, few followers, extra sexual post, etc.) but the last time I didn't check I was like "fuck it whatever" annnd it turned out to be another catfish trying to sex up and get me in trouble with the NSA and shit. So now I check again

• I don't, i base my opinion on the way they write me the message and about what the topic is about.

• No I don't.

• I'll take a look, but won't stalk them

• that was of course a little but exaggerated ;)
      you see how I meant it in the description

• Yeah. I want to get some kind of idea who I'm talking to.

• yessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

• I never get messages

• maybe you should stop posting anon :P

• lol wow... that's impressive haha

• Yeah, I love the anonymous feature <3