If someone you don't know messages you... do you stalk their history first before replying?

Or at least before giving out too much details? I never really thought much about it but recently a couple of people I don't really know started messaging me. I like meeting new people on GAG so that's no problem but I wanna know who I'm talking to so I usually check their profile first. When did they join? What questions did they ask? And I take a quick look at their opinions. I usually just pay attention if it's mostly sexual stuff or not.
This site has too many catfishes and I had already a few messaging me so I like to be careful now, even if it looks like they just wanna chitchat.
How about you?

• Yes, I like to know who I'm talking to
    76% (32)56% (9)71% (41)Vote
  • No, I don't care. Stop being paranoid
    24% (10)44% (7)29% (17)Vote
And you are? I'm a GirlI'm a Guy
Updates:
it's funny how most girls check but the guys who are at a much higher risk to get catfished don't give a fuck :P

0|0
22|14

Most Helpful Girl

• Usually, I can get a pretty good feel for the person just by what they message me. Every now and then, I will check ahead of time, though.

0|1
    0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• I know where you are coming from - If someone I didn't know messaged me I would be cautious enough in early messages until I got a feel for the person which probably would include looking at their profile and posts.

0|1
    0|0

What Girls Said 21

• Actually, 99% of the time I don't respond to people I haven't interacted with before or seen them around. Can't be bothered.

1|1
    0|0
  • I just see how many followers they have usually. I don't like the guys that try to sext me and won't take no for answer, so they usually only make it a fee messages before I block them (sad but true).

Is it a red flag for you if people have a private profile?

I only message on GAG anyway. Don't give anyone personal stuff (except sometimes my Instagram, but even then that's rare).

0|1
    0|0
    • nah private profile is no problem... I can bypass that mostly with google :P

• Show All
    • You don't seem like a creeper. Just a stalker 😝

• haha okay... good to know lol

• No I don't do that! But once I did and it was so gross! This guy had the most inapproprate stuff on his profile! I want to barf!

0|1
    0|0
  • I do the same sometimes. I don't like giving out much personal information to begin with so I understand where you're coming from.

0|1
    0|0
  • I've never had a catfish experience. All the guys I've talked to are who they say they are lol

with girls... maybe I've been catfished but I don't know. If things get weird I ignore people

0|2
    0|0
    • yeah as a girl you have less problems with that lol

• I do the same thing... of course I answer a lot more sexual questions I think just because they tend to he more interesting than the how do I look, or what race blah blah questions... hmmm... could be why I get weird messages 😛

0|1
    0|0
    • yeah I can totally understand you... the "hey I'm 13, is my 8" dick small?"-questions are much more interesting :P

• You do have a point... people are obsessed with their dicks... so weird! 😂

• I do! I think anyone who has been hurt in same way or another or let down would check to protect themselves.

0|1
    0|0
  • Most of the time I don't respond to people. Occasionally I do but honestly I forget to reply. A few times I have had some message me repeatedly but I ignore it.

0|1
    0|0
  • I don't check their history but these days if I get a message from someone I don't know then I won't respond. 90% of the time they turn out to be pervs.

0|1
    0|0
  • I always respond out of respect but then I check their opinions, especially if I find the convo we re having interesting.

0|1
    0|0
  • I don't tbh haha !!!

0|1
    0|0
    • you should have before starting to talk to me :P

• hahah No your faced looked good I didn't care about the rest lol <3 :p Plus you were already interesting ;)

• haha okay thanks ^_^

• Nah im assuming everyone is lying

0|1
    0|0
  • yes i do lol. i do exactly what you do.

0|1
    0|0
  • Most times yes I do check.

0|1
    0|0
  • Yes that's something I totally do.
    I message them back asking what tpe of person they are

0|2
    0|0
  • No... lol. Why would I? And just because you do some "research" doesn't mean that that person on the other side is truly that person. So it's a futile attempt in my opinion.

I go with the flow.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yeah, I mostly do that.

0|1
    0|0
  • I usually send a reply saying hey or whatever & then I creep their profile

0|1
    0|0
  • "creepy, weird and a big perv
    like 99% of the other guys on GAG"

0|1
    0|0
    • yes, just being honest :P
      but I'm nice, not a catfish and don't lie ;)

• Show All
    • Ha ha considering you have a pic of toad 😂😂@Toad-1

@Asker yeah at least you're honest and it's good that u at least talk to them in the comments. I don't like talking to people on here through private message so Im good.

• well then you don't have that problem anyway :P

• Im assuming when chatting that im dealing with a catfish

0|1
    0|0
  • No, I will reply, then check out their profile afterwards.

Like on GaG, if I see someone comment, or ask questions I find informative or funny, I'll try to message them that I hope they don't mind the follow. I'm not trying to be weird, but I know it can be awkward. There are also some that do not allow messages unless they follow you, so I feel weird just following without letting them know. I might just be weird, though.

Nothing wrong with being cautious though. There are a lot of people on here (well, the internet) that are looking for something sexual, catfishing, or trolling. Others are just trying to connect and aren't super creeps.

0|1
    0|0

What Guys Said 13

• Yes, I do a little bit of checking as well.

0|1
    0|0
  • I always look at the user's history, they have a profile for a reason!

If the profile is private, I request a follow!

0|1
    0|0
  • Sure, that's not a question of stalking. Some people try to use GAG as a dating site and message all of us.
    I check out their history to see if they ask questions and give opinions. If yes, and if the message is friendly, I'll reply.

0|1
    0|0
  • Nope, I talk to everyone but I'm generally skeptical if I haven't a clue about the person

0|1
    0|0
  • I don't really care too much about who messages me, whether it's random or someone I know. I don't often follow people back either, and when it comes to catfishes, I usually give them the benefit of the doubt until proven that they are indeed a catfish.

0|0
    0|0
  • Stop being so paranoid BC the last few questions don't tell you all about the person

0|1
    0|0
    • no, but if the account is new, has a hot pic of a girl and the questions are only sexual stuff à la " I like showing off my boobs in public, is that bad" and all the opinions are dirty sexual stuff, then there is a very good reason to be suspicious. It's not that I don't talk to them but I'm careful with what I say. I had at least 3 who deactivated as soon as I asked for a proof.

their history doesn't tells you for sure if they are real or not, but it gives at least a good indication.

• haa thats a classic cat fish and yes they are common

• I usually click to check if they're a catfish or troll (new account, few followers, extra sexual post, etc.) but the last time I didn't check I was like "fuck it whatever" annnd it turned out to be another catfish trying to sex up and get me in trouble with the NSA and shit. So now I check again

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't, i base my opinion on the way they write me the message and about what the topic is about.

0|1
    0|0
  • No I don't.

0|1
    0|0
  • I'll take a look, but won't stalk them

0|1
    0|0
    • that was of course a little but exaggerated ;)
      you see how I meant it in the description

• Yeah. I want to get some kind of idea who I'm talking to.

0|1
    0|0
  • yessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

0|1
    0|0
  • I never get messages

0|1
    0|0
    • maybe you should stop posting anon :P

• Show All
    • lol wow... that's impressive haha

• Yeah, I love the anonymous feature <3