Why does G@G ban people who talk about suicide?

I've been feeling suicidal for most of this year, yet whenever I try to talk about it on here, G@G bans my questions. Do they think doing that will help someone?

Most Helpful Girl

• I didn't know about this. That sucks!
    FUCK YOU GAG, I HATE YOU

• Are you on Tumblr, Amy? Do you follow any fandoms? Some time last year there was a group of girls who went around saying they were suicidal. Then they were committing suicide, but don't worry their SUPER DUPER BEST FRIENDs FOREVER were there to liveblog the entire thing! There were reports of stomach pumpings, daring escape attempts, ripping of stitches, etc... It got completely absurd and what started as two or three stupid people turned into like TWENTY people. And do you know why?

Suicide. Is. Contagious.

What started as three selfish, selfish children whining for attention turned into four people actually *killing* themselves. That's why GaG deletes suicide posts and links the posters to resources where they can get *real* help.

• Nah, thanks you hot stuff XD

Most Helpful Guy

• I had no idea that they did that. That's pretty awful. I hope you get the help you need.

What Girls Said 9

• They also send you resources to places where you can get real help instead of asking random people. You need to talk with professionals about your suicidal feelings. Not us.

Cries for help online: Suicide
    Please visit National Suicide Prevention Lifeline for assistance on how to deal with these sensitive situations. You may also call NSPL at 1-800-273-TALK (8255); the call is free, confidential and they are there for you 24/7/365

http://www.girlsaskguys.com/faq/account

• Whatever. I guess I don't really want to talk to people about this. They all give me the same answers anyways.

• So do you need like a dictionary link or?

• Are you saying I'm making assumptions about you? Is it incorrect to say you don't understand me? If you did, you wouldn't say those generic cliche things you tell every person who tries to kill themselves.

• You want fix your depression or sucide thoughts? My quick fix! I start with a dream a reachable dream I wanted! Mine for example is cross-country or long distance! I gave myself this dream and I work on it! I don't care rain or snow~ I would be jogging slowly outside! Why? Because I wanted to show myself I could do it! I wanted to do something for me if I ever pass away! Something I can be proud of! Did I accomplish it? Not yet. But as a result of my effort I lost 40lbs and I got a clear mind! I started watch self-help video! Kinda taught me an importance of begin positive and kind to oneself. I won't say I am postive everyday of my life but I do try to think it! I do have bad day where I can't breath or get to nervous! When I am afraid! I don't have any friends not anymore and I never worked and school well its horrible and I am lying to my parents about school and I am afriad of calling for help! And the only thing I find positive is my excersing! My slow pathetic jogging! The only thing that makes me feel like I am going somewhere! I don't know why I am alive but I have a mini dream it might take a while but I know maybe in a couple years al reach it! And when I reach it its gonna be impossible to kill someone who fought so much to live! Cus deep down we want the pain to go away. Deep down we want someone to love us and we want be happy and proud. Death does not guarantee happiness. at least when I am alive I jog and I can dream and I cry and I watch my favorute show and Crush man hard on a guy on the internet and I can actually plan a trip to hawaii! I have me and only me! No-one else! Me against the freakin world and I want be happy fighting it off. Whats the point of life? To be happy because i am tired so damn tired of begin sad! I want risk it all! I am gonna dream my mini dream and meet people to change my world and hopeful I can give them love that they didn't think it was possible! When I die I want be so happy with all the time I wasted begin happy!

• Because people on here aren't trained therapists who can help you. We are just human and having the burden of needing to help a suicidal person is very big. It puts us in a very difficult and unfair spot as we cannot always equip you with the needed help on a very serious issue such as suicide. People might not take you seriously, might make fun of you or be unhelpful and just hurt you more. This isn't really the platform to help people like that.

• I agree. Their policy is really bad but every social networking site in this world bans suicidal questions. My advice is to read the gospel of matthew / mark / luke / john and give your life to Jesus.

• They shouldn't do that

Unless of course people start writing hateful comments towards the person who asked the question

May make them feel even more fragile

but other than that, talking about it actually may help, so why ban the questions?

• It is against the rules to discuss that subject here.

• Because this site is full of trolls who might harm you and send you the wrong direction because they are either sick or they are on here for fun and trolling and not really giving advice. Even those who give u advice, they can't be that helpful and you will be like "ok they all say the same thing" but if you went and talked with someone professional they will be able to help and maybe put an end to it because they know what they are doing and have dealt with lots of such cases.

• Try going to http://helptogo.com/forum/ you won't get banned there...

• Because posts about suicide and glorifying suicide are against the guidelines.

• Yeah, but why? I didn't glorify suicide in any of my questions. I just mentioned being suicidal.

What Guys Said 11

• I think if the site could guarantee a safe response they would leave it up.
    (1) Don't want to be seen to encourage suicide - If someone advise someone to do it non maliciously it could be seen as this.
    (2) Malicious trolls pushing people to it
    (3) If people see certain people getting attention, hoaxers and attention whores would flood the site with posts and genuine cases would be lost in the tidal wave,
    To some it does not seem satisfactory but removing the post and giving links to helplines I feel is the safest route - It is such a serious topic that it can't be left to chance.

• You can look into some stuff that might help here: www.cci.health.wa.gov.au/.../infopax.cfm

As for your question, the guidelines clearly say:

""Suicidal Tendencies
    Posts that glorify suicide, questions asking ways to commit suicide or giving suicide ideas, or opinions that encourage suicide should be hidden with this reason. Example: “What’s the best way to commit suicide? , “Go kill yourself.” These posts are removed and we send the user a help message informing them how to get help.""

You let enough Anonymous peeps on that question, and they'll actually push you off a cliff themselves. Nobody really wants that, so the questions are hidden instead.

• But my questions were none about that. They were not like that at all. I was justing asking about how I was feeling suicidal, and if anyone had felt like that in their lives.

• Because then people become responsible and gag isn't going to let some stranger on the internet put that pressure on someone else and not let someone inadvertently be the cause of someone committing suicide.

• None of my questions put pressure on anyone.

• Some people are on the fence of doing it. It's not as black and white as you're trying to paint it.

• Look, I'm not going to kill myself. I'm just not the type of person who does that. The type of person who would kill themselves always end up doing it, wether you want it or not.

• Well that could be because the admins, mods believe that it brings negativity and a bad image about the community and to the members in this community. They believe that the person who talks about suicide is a negative person with a negative mindset and that's why they decide to delete/ban such questions.

• Because suicide is something that shouldn't be encouraged, and "kill yourself" is a quick trolling response to such a post I guess?

Talk to your parents or doctor about that. There's nothing wrong with suicidal thoughts, but don't go to anonymous people on the Internet expecting to hear sound advice about the topic. They will by and large be the LEAST understanding people to talk to about such a thing.

• Because they cannot "self-terminate". Well they are not permitted to if they really are so certain about calling it completely quits and checking out.

And I think it's because there could be new laws implemented for the internet. Such as that the website owners, administrators, etc. can all be held partially if not completely liable in some form or way legally for such incidents and situations.

• Maybe taking things like your life and putting it into the hands of a mostly sarcastic body on the internet isn't such a good idea and should be left to professionals who can actually help u. Good luck with that.

• What gives you the impression that I haven't tried that already?

• I'd rather have nothing. No pleasure, but no pain either.

• Suit urself!

• When we mods report such questions, and the admins see it, they will send a link to a phoneline that helps suicidal people. They think that sending the link is more helpful than people commenting on your question.

Also, another reason they have us do this is because such posts might invoke others to start thinking like you do--at least i believe.

If you need actual answers regarding the issue, leave out all the explicitly suicidal phrases/words, and your question shouldn't get reported.

• I called one of the hotlines they showed to me...

Next thing I know, I'm surrounded by cops and locked up in a mental hospital for 3 days...

True story...

• Too many pessimistic sick assholes here will encourage suicide instead of helping.

Suicide only became a banned topic about 2 years ago.. the time when this site rebranded and became more social-media-like, and the trolling got exponentially worse and more frequent.

• Because the comments can be pretty dangerous.