How do people who are transgender fit into this website?

I am not sure how they fit in. This site seems so gendered. There is male, and there is female, and nothing in between. How would you react if a male member posts something about his menstrual period?

Most Helpful Guy

• I don't think transgender identify as in between the two. I believe they identify as one gender or the other. This is their biggest complaint when it comes to bathrooms. They don't want a third bathroom as if they aren't real men or real women, they want to be let into the bathroom of their choosing.

• Eh, some people do. Mostly trans people identify within the gender binary, but there are some who identify as neither female nor male. But I think the asker was mostly just wondering about if trans folk would choose their gender assigned at birth or the gender they identify as for this website.

Most Helpful Girl

• Why do transgenders have to be their own special unit? Why they can't they also fit into the male or female categories? I'm not getting why some people have to be special snowflakes. Last time I checked transgender people are born one gender and then want to be the other. There's not some illusive third gender that is hiding in the shadows.

• Not actually accurate. For one thing, gender is separate from sex, so being trans is not a matter of being born one gender and wanting to be another, but rather or being born one gender but assigned the wrong one at birth based on their body. But for another, there are people who are neither male nor female, both in regards to gender and in regards to the traditional sex binary. Some people identify as non-binary, and some people are born with genitalia or chromosomes that don't fit with the generally believed in binary.

• @cipher42 @cipher42 Anatomically, there are body parts most often associated with females, and there are body parts most often associated with males. The associations, for the most part, determine whether the body parts are male or female. That's what people mean by male and female body parts. If you wondering whether body parts intrinsically have a sex, then no, they don't. A body part is just a body part by itself. However, the associations are not meaningless. The associations are not prescribing that all males should have these body parts, but describing that in typical cases males have these body parts. Hence male body parts. Mother Nature is not perfect in crafting bodies, so genetic mutations happen. A genetic mutation does not mean the creation of a third sex or intersex. If a third sex were to exist, then it must be able to have a functional role in reproduction in order to allow the species to evolve. There can be many genders, though. But only two sexes.

• Agreed completely with Asker.

What Guys Said 18

• Saw a similar question a while ago. I totally agree the whole gender binary is complacently incorrect a "purple" option or something would be nice for people who don't identify as male or female. I just don't think there is enough demand for it so it is not likely to be a feature they add anytime soon.

• The site reflects society to a degree so if it became mainstream to have a third sex in outside society then site may adapt. My own personal view is that if user lives their life as a woman they are entitled to use pink profile.

• i'd say they should post according to biological gender and not according to internal gender identity. but ultimately, it's up to them.

• You can't change your gender literally. They'll always either be a male or female. No male has a menstrual cycle to post that

• They can pick one of the two. I personally would go with what aligns with my physical sex, but that's me supposedly being "cisgender" about it.

• Because there are only 2 sexes... Welcome to the animal kingdom

• The transgendered people I've seen here generally pick what they identify as.
    I haven't seen any cases of their biology conflicting with their preference so far.

• I'm fine with it. Half the "girls" on this website are boys anyway.

• I answer the questions I can, and ignore the ones I can't.

• I always assumed trans folk had a better grasp of how both females and males viewed things than anyone else.

Obviously I could be way off.

• Um transgender men do not receive ovaries

• If you're trans, one assumes you'll create the account under the gender you identify as.

• I feel offended there's no "His Majesty Emperor" option for me.

• And what about "shemales"? (I probably don't know that much about them)

• The third sex i guess, they offer their own unique perspective.

• They don't

• The incidence of transgender has not been determined in any authoritative way and it is dependent on the definition of transgender, but most studies in Western cultures estimate the incidence between 1/7,400 and 1/104,000. Why should this website be geared towards a group which has such a low population count and which has other web sites specifically aimed at it?

• How do they fit into society?

What Girls Said 9

• I have noticed that. Though if they are trans couldn't they have their gender of whichever one they identify with? Like a FTM would be a male and a MTF would be a female.

• I am not sure... I think they pick the one they are more like!

• Whichever they identify themselves as.

• Wtf whatever gender they identify as is what they should choose.

• There's a trans man (F to M) on here and he uses the male option. I forgot the username, but you'll see them around. It's a black guy with glasses and a plaid shirt if I remember correctly.

• I think despite the site's name, most QAs on here would be interested in anybody's opinions.

• That already happens here so..

• They can choose the gender they identify as.

• "This site seems so gendered."
    That's exactly the purpose. Where do transgenders fit in here? Nowhere, unfortunately. That's just not in the nature of this site.

• Actually, transgenders don't identify themselves as a third sex. They only identify themselves with one of the genders hence why they identified so much, that they went all the way to change it. So in the end, there is no need for a third category: that would actually be offensive in my opinion...

• I don't see it as sexual orientation where you can be more than one thing. I think that ultimately they have an identity defined.