Why has G@G been reinforcing the idea that girls = pink and guys = blue?

Everyone is so ready to hate. Such sad people.
As I said to @Dragon09, I'm not for or against blue/pink. It can be easily argued for both ways. If why, then why not. If I was against blue/pink, I'd have to ask why only guy/girls and not transgenders, right? But as a website that is for the community at large, which obviously has a certain agenda, then what's their take? And how do G@Gers feel about it. The Chrismas G@G header feels diff, so I was wondering how the whole site would look like if the genders were attributed diff colours.

Most Helpful Guy

• Yeah its sexist see how the media and the gov try to control and tell us what to do all the time. Wear this wear that, go hear go there, buy this buy that, eat this eat that, talk like this talk like that, have this body size, have this height, have this weight, have this boob size, this race is attractive this is what you should think is attractive, the news be scared of this be scared of that. Swine flu out break scare I didn't know one person those years who got the swine flu, ebola outbreak telling us this is what we should fear.

What Guys Said 20

• Seriously?
    Its too deep in our psyche to fight:
    In Europe and the United States, pink is often associated with girls, while blue is associated with boys. These colors were first used as gender signifiers just prior to World War I (for either girls or boys), and pink was first established as a female gender signifier in the 1940s. In the 20th century, the practice in Europe varied from country to country, with some assigning colors based on the baby's complexion, and others assigning pink sometimes to boys and sometimes to girls.
    Many have noted the contrary association of pink with boys in 20th-century America. An article in the trade publication Earnshaw's Infants' Department in June 1918 said:
    The generally accepted rule is pink for the boys, and blue for the girls. The reason is that pink, being a more decided and stronger color, is more suitable for the boy, while blue, which is more delicate and dainty, is prettier for the girl.
    One reason for the increased use of pink for girls and blue for boys was the invention of new chemical dyes, which meant that children's clothing could be mass-produced and washed in hot water without fading. Prior to this time, most small children of both sexes wore white, which could be frequently washed. Another factor was the popularity of blue and white sailor suits for young boys, a fashion that started in the late 19th century. Blue was also the usual color of school uniforms, for boys and girls. Blue was associated with seriousness and study, while pink was associated with childhood and softness.
    By the 1950s, pink was strongly associated with femininity but to an extent that was "neither rigid nor universal" as it later became.
    One study by two neuroscientists in Current Biology examined color preferences across cultures and found significant differences between male and female responses. Both groups favored blues over other hues, but women had more favorable responses to the reddish-purple range of the spectrum and men had more favorable responses to the greenish-yellow end of the spectrum. Despite the fact that the study used adults, and both groups preferred blues, and responses to the color pink were never even tested, the popular press represented the research as an indication of an innate preference by girls for pink. The misreading has been often repeated in market research, reinforcing American culture's association of pink with girls on the basis of imagined innate characteristics

• That's nice trivia. And my question says 'reinforcing'.
      I was hunting for a background story to G@G, like why they chose those colours. What was their stand on it. Cos a G@G with the green and red right now feels different, and I imagined how the whole site would look like if the genders were attributed to different colours. I'm not for or against blue/pink. It can be easily argued for both ways. If why, then why not. If I was against blue/pink, I'd have to ask why only guy/girls and not transgenders, right? But as a website that is for the community at large, which obviously has a certain agenda, then what's their take?
      And I wanted to know how G@Gers felt about it.

• Thanks for the clarification. I see your point now, sorry if I came across as a bit of a dick, not my intention.

• The very NAME of the site is GirlsAskGuys. It makes sense for the site designers to have a color to identify these 2 genders. The opinions that are given to a question are divided by gender. When you're putting together a question there is the option to restrict answers to only one gender. The color scheme is a traditional one. There's nothing wrong with it. Of course the PC LGBTQ+ people are going to have shit fits about something like blue for guys and pink for girls. ("It's just SO 'binary!'") I can just hear them seething in pissed-offed-ness because the site isn't called GirlsAskGuysAskTransMalesAskTransFemalesAskAsexualTransNonBinaryTransvestites.

• Don't let these people get you down. This is a good idea. You never see the boy or girl who doesn't feel like their color represents who they are and people saying "that's just how it is accept it" are the worst because it's literally just that they're too lazy to do anything whatsoever to build something new...

• Naw. Nothin' here's gonna let me down. :P This is too restrictive a community anyway, yet a community nonetheless. So I just wanted to think how the community itself feels about something they seem to be propagating by using this site that also appears to propagate some idea about genders. There have been some nice arguments and debates on here, while at the same time, lots of hating and quick judgements. So it's a question to nibble. Spit it, eat it, or taste it, it's your call. I'm interested in reactions.
      If I really was a feminazi, I wouldn't even be using this site.

• true, there's a war going on and I'm leading the Rebellion

• Blue for guys and pink for girls is just an understood custom, at least America, I don't know about elsewhere. Enforcement of gender neutrality is very low on my priorities and really not something worth getting up in arms about. It's important to accept and respect that not everyone subscribes to gender roles, pink/blue, LGBT stuff and whatnot, but the vast majority of us do fall in line with more "traditional" gender roles and customs, so I think we should just roll with it and not think too deeply about trivial stuff like what color represents who. Just understand that it's a symbolic thing, while maintaining acceptance and respect for those who don't fit the description, but I'm sure they'll be just fine if GAG continues with the pink and blue system.

• It's about creating a product that is marketable to their target demographics.

The fact is, men and women have different preferences as a result of biological predisposition. We weren't socially engineered to identify as either pink or blue because of some looming oppressive force that aims to marginalize minorities.

Male toddlers identify with toy trucks and superhero action figures, whereas female toddlers identify with dolls and playhouses. We don't market these things because we are forcing a label onto an entire gender, we market them because they appeal to the psychology of the vast majority, therefore are profitable and worthwhile for business.

• That is so funny.

• "It's about creating a product that is marketable to their target demographics." : Yes. True. And I do see that as the basis of G@G.
      "We weren't socially engineered to identify _____" : Crap. You think male toddlers automatically identify with trucks and females with dolls? :')))) Joke.

• You haven't done much studying.

• Often these things are not thought about - When it was being set up and they were picking designs, I presume blue/pink were picked for their traditional connotations - I suppose all I can suggest is raise awareness of the issue and if you get enough support take it to admin. I would have to say I am quite neutral on it , I wouldn't mind new colours but I wouldn't lose sleep if we didn't get them.

• I'm not out to be a revolutionary. I'm still neutral on it myself. Maybe it would be nice to let us pick our own colours with a chosen palette. But ah well.
      The whole interface is built on gender connotations. It's also about what G@G wants to project about itself. The fact that they can become more but choose not to also says something.

• I would actually like some admins and mods to post their opinions.

• Because it's an easy way to differentiate between genders on a site that is based on one gender asking the other questions.

• That's the way it is. There really isn't that big of a problem. For those who oppose pink/blue, do you oppose marking bathrooms with:
    arnoldzwicky.s3.amazonaws.com/GenderSymbols.jpg

• It's just a color they are just there so people know who's who and it is called girls ask guys so you know they are going to use colors best suited for each a mascons color and demons color.

• Reusing colors with known associations..
    Marketing. Business. Really it makes sense.
    If you stop to think about it

• What colors would you prefer they use?

• I don't know. I imagined what it'd look like if the Christmas header colours were used throughout the site and guys were green and girls were red. That still makes guys a 'cool' colour and girls a 'hot' colour. Then I thought about black/orange and it felt like a gamer site. And purple/yellow is maybe too complementary. Then I wondered what if they had an algorithm that for every 1000 posts on the website, the colour became a bit darker or edged to a different hue. :'))) That would be cool, but then it'll be hard to follow if you logged in after a few days.
      But what if they reveresed it? That would be interesting to see, but guys will hate seeing their name in pink. :)))
      So yeah, I don't know. :P It was just a thought. I'm no expert.

• Because they are part of the repressive Patriarchy, determined to destroy and enslave women, that's why!

• How does it equate to patriarchy?

• I know it was a sarcastic. It just felt a bit too extreme. But nice explanation. :P

• Sarcasm often includes hyperbole.

• Because it's so much easier

• Just the colours traditionally associated with each gender

• Heh, I really don't care much for firs world problems like this. They can do as they please where this is concerned

• well vaginas are pink and weiner blood is blue.

• please stop trying to change things its been like this forever everywhere not just here , deal with it

• That's just the way it is.

• cos they're not politically correct.

• Lol I guess pink is misogynistic smh

What Girls Said 10

• I'm going to guess that they didn't think too much on it. The colors were associated very strongly in their minds, so they thought it would be an obvious way to distinguish which gender is which on the site (and they were right)

I'd kind of prefer different colors, but I don't really mind.

• It's girlsaskguys and the two genders will be separated into two different categories... The colors are just gender short hand.
    Pretty sure some hospitals give girls pink blankets and boys blue blankets.

It's just a social norm and you can't please everyone.

• Thats how the site is set up. People gotta calm down and accept it.

• Uh, no they don't? She's making a valid point and you're basically just saying shut up and take it. That's not right as a woman. That's not right as a human. That's not right as a young person who will soon have the power to change the world. Boys like Pink. Girls Like Blue. Do you not realize how basic html and color palettes work? They could easily give users more colors to express their individuality in like two seconds...

• @pavlove Better said than how I was thinking.

• Im not stupid. I know the point she's making and I've studied this shit. Im saying people gotta get over it. U dont wanna be blue, make a pink account. u dont wanna b pink, make a blue account, what gives? @pavlove
      Im also entitled to my opinion as u r to urs. I've noticed that everytime someone doesn't agree with u, u tell them they aren't right as a woman, man, human.. Who the fuck u think u r? Get over yourself. No one is being swayed by u lol.

• Because it's owned by some Turkish guy that is pretty into misogyny and restrictive gender roles, I'm guessing.

• It's kind of ingrained in society that blue is a 'boys' colour and pink is for 'girls'. I don't think they have some kind of sexist agenda behind it, if that's what you're thinking.

• Lol, I dunno and don't care. I like to go with the flow.

• I know dude, I don't like that. Same color for all of us would be better

• The whole idea behind gag is girls asking guys questions
    Thr colors emphasize the gender recognition of each user
    It's more symbolic of two genders coming together
    A juxtaposition

• Its just a colour, get over it.

• stop being a feminazi and get over it.