Why exactly do you up/down-vote?

From an outsider's perspective looking in, most of you seem to use down-votes because of a mere difference of opinion. Even with opinions that essentially boil down to personal preference. What's most frustrating is that they don't even give an explanation most of the time. Another case of circle-jerking, it seems to be.

Let's say there is an opinion that you don't agree with but the person giving the opinion has clearly put in the effort to show you their perspective. Would you up/down-vote?

So, I have to ask: Why do you up/down-vote?

• I up/down-vote depending on whether I agree with them or not
  • I up/down-vote depending on how well they presented their opinion
  • I up/down-vote depending on whether I like/dislike the person giving the opinion.
  • I up/down-vote depending on how everyone else up/down-votes
  • Other

Most Helpful Girl

• I upvote if I agree, I comment so they know I saw their opinion or if I have something to say.

I only downvote if they're being rude/ignorant/idiotic

• Lol

(filler)

Most Helpful Guy

• Upvote: if I agree or if it made me laugh

Downvote: if I strongly disagree, if it's a stupid thing to say, if it makes no sense, if it was a shitty attempt at humor, if it was a commonly said thing that is still shitty...

What Girls Said 4

• I upvote if I agree, I leave it alone if I disagree but the answer isn't belligerent or hateful in any way, and I downvote if the answer is unnecessarily rude, inappropriate, or obviously the work of a troll.

• I upvote everyone! hahah!

• I rarely vote either way.

• I up vote if I agree with someone, or sometimes someone posts something funny. I don't down vote often, only a few times. What that user said was pretty terrible and antagonistic.

What Guys Said 6

• Many to most users here downvote because they personally feel offended. They should have a middle finger button so people can hit that instead of the downvote button should they feel offended.

• I would upvote a well thought out opinion and only downvote an abusive opinion

• Upvote if I agree

Downvote if I think that answer is a bad influence, or just generally disagree to the point where I think it should be shown in terms of numbers to others that this opinion should not be agreed with.

• I'll up vote if I agree with the opinion and it's clearly stated. I seldom down vote, and only if I think an opinion is factually wrong or substantially misleading.

• I don't usually upvote or downvote a opinion, but if I do, I do that based on a few factors

• I voted 🙂

• Now I'm going to down-vote this because it doesn't contribute anything to the discussion.