How many of you receive private messages on gag criticizing you personally for your beliefs or opinions?

This has happened to me multiple times and I just find it very strange. People are entitled to form opinions of others and decide to like them or hate them, whatever. But what do they hope to accomplish by personally telling you what they think if you?
Apparently "a lot of people on here hate me" but at the end of the day I say what I believe or what I've experienced. Aren't different perspectives why we come here?

I'm not changing who I am unless I see it as a change for the better. Sorry haters that's just who I am. Rant over.

How do you all deal with these kinds of messages?

Most Helpful Guy

What Guys Said 44

• I receive numerous private messages on GAG but it's just once that someone decided to take on me to criticize me on one of my opinions and that was long ago.

The private messages I get are more for asking questions on their situations.

Well if someone crosses a line then they are reported with proof ;) :D

• I can't imagine criticizing you handsome lion!

• Thank you, beautiful young lady :) I cherish that and your kind words :D <3

• Thank you again for the up vote too :D (missed that - too excited and hit the submit button lol)

• Sorry it has degenerated to this - If I got a private message like this I would weigh up the person whether they want to engage in constructive discussion or maybe might be not that bad, we could part on an "agree to disagree" - If I didn't think that was possible I would ignore and if it persisted I would block.

• That's as I left it. It would make more sense if he attacked a specific belief rather than just you're a terrible person. 😔

• Ah I think I would see a clear road sign to blocking if it was as blatant attack as that

• I'm on it!

• Hmm I'm very good at getting my point across in a very diplomatic way. I have a talent for not getting under people's skin. That and men don't usually get unsolicited messages on here I don't think. I've never had negative messages.

I've had people who've asked me questions about things I do or don't believe in because they were curious. Some of them have come off slightly hostile but I think it's just because they never met anyone with my views before. Some of those conversations were really interesting.

• Not since I made my profile private, no.

Anyway, I highly doubt it's got anything to do with you. Those people are just assholes looking to stir the pot.

And I totally agree about valuing different perspectives. For example, I have a feeling that you and I are diametrically opposed when it comes to many political issues, but nevertheless I find you to be one of the nicer, more admirable people here.

How would I deal with it? I'd either block them or send them something sweet in return. That kinda thing royally pisses people off, 'cause they didn't getcha. LOL

• We could still hang out and have a great time... just not at a political function lol.

In reality I bet you and I agree on most things but our methods of achieving them would be different.

Thank you 💙

• Hey, not true! We could both poke fun at Trump and Hillary. LOL

I think you're right, Belle. I hope more people on both (all) sides can see that we're driving toward the same goal. And you're very welcome. :)

• We certainly could 😂😂😂

• Mostly no. But got one that was lower than whale shit. I PMed you that one.

• Has never actually happened to me. But if it were, it'd be like a prime opportunity to troll the idiot.
    38.media.tumblr.com/.../...ygwiak1h1qcx1e9_500.gif
    Not my fault they chose to waste time on lecturing me. Might as well have fun.

• Didn't you have any better question? No one hates you. It's impossible.
    _______________________________________
    No one dares to challenge me OR everybody loves me :3

• no one has fucked with my inbox for a long time. before random people would pm me and just start talking mad shit lol. i went along with it and that must've caught them off guard cause they stopped.

• I once posted an opinion that women dont care to see men in lingerie the same way men like to see women in lingerie and that male lingerie is something that would appeal more to gay men.

Then I got a 3 messages in my inbox...

Girls like half naked men u ugly fuck
    Tue, Dec 22 09:05 PM
    It's not limited to gay men idiot. It's like saying lesbians like women more than men.
    Tue, Dec 22 09:05 PM
    More than men do

• naah.

But i'd be flattered to. It means they lost the argument, and just goes after you as a person. Besides, having enemies means you're standing for what you mean.

But i guess being well known has its price...

• Haven't gotten anything like that... not that I remember. If they wanna message me to criticize me, they can do it, I don't care, they're just wasting their time xD

Poor losers hahaha
    Don't change Belle :-*

• That sucks, but when you voice your opinions, you're going to get haters.

• I've never had any message me to chew me out. All of mine want more personal answers or just to chat

• I never got a message like that, but if I did I'd just ignore them and keep my thoughts. I would make sure that the person who sent the message lost time writing it :D

• Lies, how can anyone hate or dislike you?

• I don't get PM's period, unless i solicit them. But ehh, you're much more popular/well known/tagged than i am on here, and I've been here longer than you. Sounds like someone was trying to get under your skin, but in actuality.. you're one of the most liked users i'd say

• I love your solicited pms 😉 some of my favorites.
      Yeah he did get under my skin... but I won't let that feeling last 💚

• well, im glad at least somebody does.. ha..

stay strong

• Naw, no one pm's me with criticism, which I guess means everyone is happy with my salacious, often inappropriate and sarcastic comments!

• They're fucking retarded that's why.
    It's an opinion for a reason you inbred. (Not you, this is aimed at the people) ❤💋😘

• I usually ignore them. I'm so vocally anti-feminist I have my share of detractors. But who cares, it's their problem, and if they start to annoy me (just one person so far) I just block them. What are they going to do control alt delete you?

• Once a month, maybe.

• Yes that seems about right. That surprises me with you because you're always so courteous and nice!

• I get much more hate and insults in the opinions section than in my mailbox.

• Rarely, but I have an Oscar Wilde view of critique :)

As for your experience, water off a ducks back lass, most if not all have a healthy regard for you here so channel their feeling for you and dismiss the irrational ones :)

• No, not PMs

I do wish more gag pink texts were like you tho!!

• Yeah I don't mind the comments here or there. It just surprises me that someone would go out of their way to message. 😕

And thank you 😘

• Lol I get it all the time. I had one girl who deleted her on account here message me a essay almost in MLA format telling me I'm a terrible person. I shit you not it was almost a novel.

• Ha! It's never happened. I had some idiotic, alpha nerd randomly comment on something I said but that's it. He had more brains in his tits than his head though so it didn't mean anything to me.

• What else do you expect on the internet, full of pretty much nothing but keyboard warriors.

• Haha, they don't send me any messages, they just go immediately for the Block button.

• Oh wow sorry to hear this happen to you! 😕

That happens to be extremely rarely.

• You've been around for a long time so I'm glad to hear it hasn't happened to you a lot. How do you handle it?

• I'm frankly good at ignoring these people, although I may ask them why they feel so strongly against me just out of intellectual personality.

If these talks get to the point of verbal abuse, do what I do; make use of the block button!

• Yes. Thank you.

• Yeah I receive them quite often =D It's because I have controversial opinions. But soon enough the tables will have turned, and they will be the controversial ones.

• Nope, never have had any of those.

• Lol many times, people think that they can change you for some odd reason.

• More from Guys
    14

What Girls Said 22

• People critiquing me probably do so half half through pm's or via opinions. I mean... I just came home today to see that some Anonymous chick had tagged me and posted my current profile picture hating on me... I get a lot of critique for how sexual I am in terms of things I've done with my boyfriend, or otherwise. Which irritates me to no end but I'm definitely not going to change in any way just to appease some people who are doing nothing but proving how backwards their thinking is.

How do I deal with it? Usually just counter their 'points' by saying sure, that's how I am. If they could give me any universal, non-subjective evidence that there's anything 'wrong' with that, to please do so. If not, I just ask them to stop rambling in circles or simply ignore them.

• Confront it head on. That's awesome

• lol yes, that's what I always make sure to do. It's always a huge pat on the back when the conversation goes on for ages then I realize they blocked me because they clearly realized they were fighting a losing battle. :P

• LOL! Wow. That takes pride and ego to a whole new level. There's nothing wrong with disagreements but to send you a message and further enforce a disagreement or act like they have a heaven or hell to send you to by criticizing you? I guessed you missed the memo where your life purpose was to please and impress them. ;p

I've never had anyone message me like that. I have had someone message me in a very respectful, courteous tone simply wishing to discuss a disagreement that happened between us in the past but never something quite like that. If someone messaged me something like that, I'd probably respond along the lines of ". . . . okay?" then if they kept talking I'd say something like "The great thing about being individuals is we're all different with contrasting ideas and that's okay." and if they kept talking, I'd say something like "Darling, I think you have me mistaken for someone who gives a fuq."

• I agree! The funny this was we didn't even have an argument over anything. 😕

• Did you tell him directly that you don't appreciate that?

• Basically I told him he was free to make his own judgements but I felt like he was totally wrong about me.

• I think I've only had like two or three people contact me that way. And it's just like: lol.

I don't know why people do it. Your opinion is obviously your opinion. It's not going to change and unlike them you're not trying to ram it down anyone's throat so it's obviously better.

• i never get private messages like that because no one i follow is an asshole who personally attacks me.

i get those messages on the threads all the time though, and all i can say is i don't give a shit. people just like to throw around hate onto others. doesn't bother me. I've been here long enough to know it isn't worth my time. before i used to respond to it, now i ignore it. #maturity

• I had someone message me, "Hey,"

and when I didn't reply for 12 hours (12 hour/day shifts, yo) he messaged me again bitching me out about how I'm a terrible person for not responding to him. Apparently he wanted to report something. Sorry, but if you want to report something, you probably should cut to the chase in your initial message lol none of this cryptic "hey" nonsense.

• ME ME ME!!! *Raises hand*

It's part of the reason why I only allow messages from people I follow. That way I have some control over who can contact me without having to block people completely.

I'm the same way as you, Belle. I have my opinions and I respect other opinions, but I don't want to conform to make people happy. I'm up for intelligent debate anytime, but not attacks on my personal feelings.

• I've had it several times and one guy made a new account to send me a extremely rude message then deleted his account immediately. All because I had posted the quote below:

image.slidesharecdn.com/.../...of-islam-12-728.jpg

But mainly I get private messages by random guys asking sexual questions :\

• I haven't received a message about my beliefs or anything. I've had people say stuff to me on comments and such, but never messages. Of course we aren't all going to always agree, but it seems that people here don't know how to agree to disagree. They just want to always be right.

• Fuck what they say.

Pavlove is not fine with the way I live my life but he can go fuck himself. Apparently people hate me too XD

I don't care, I'll keep saying what I want.

• I have received a few of these types of messages before, both times people expressing their negative opinion on me being bisexual. I just simply tell them that it is none of their concern. If they keep pestering me I usually end up blocking them. That being said, after some time, I usually do end up unblocking most people once I feel as if they have forgotten about me.

• Lol as if you're going to read their message and then just say "oh okay I won't be bisexual anymore" 😒 that's crazy

• I know. People just need to mind their own business.

• I don't think I've ever gotten a single pm critiquing my standpoint on things. Kinda shocked people actually do that. Clearly they're spineless pissbabies because they're too afraid to publicly state their counter opinion to yours.

Fuck 'em.

• lol I mainly get horny messages or rate me or asking for advice...
    never this.
    but I am surprised cause I never thought you were controversial or anthng and you always sound nice.
    huh weird people over here.
    look just block them and avoid the drama. less typing, less feel, less energy wasted on rubbish.

• It happens to me, too. Try not to let it get to you! You are an amazing person, and I have found that most of the people who attack others, whether it be for their beliefs or something else, only do it out of insecurity.

• Glad to know I'm not the only one although I'm sorry it's happened to you. Thanks for the comment

• Block and report. Don't even engage. Bye, little annoying flies.

• You're quite smart I believe. Thank you

• You wouldn't be the first to tell me that.

I do enjoy antagonizing people occasionally but it does grow tiresome after some time. It's like "ugh, just accept that you're being stupid and move on with your life."

• that is pathetic and ignorant to go after someone because they disagree with you they are not your parent to tell what to think like a little kid block those losers please.
    This hasn't happened to me but if someone did I would report them.

• Good advice thank you. I blocked him. I won't report him as he was just honestly telling me what he thought.

• Yes I have had this happen a few times. This is my second go at GAG & funny thing the same guy has attacked me both times.

• I didn't realize you had to set up a second account. I guess that explains the 2. Hopefully that guy won't bother you again.

• No I was here 3 years back & closed my account. I came back with a new account a few months later.

• I haven't but this is why i go anonymous a lot

• Adjust your settings

• Luckily, I haven't had that happen yet, but I'm also new here. I agree with you though, different perspectives is why we come here and it is pretty immature to message someone just to criticize them because you disagree on something.
    I would personally try my hardest to ignore the messages, although unfortunately I always have a strong urge to reply to that stuff (I really wish I didn't, but I'm stubborn and always determined to prove that I'm right although that's not a good trait to have).

• What? I can't believe it! You're a sweetheart! Haters gonna hate love! <3

And no, well, not yet!

• I never received this kind of messages

• I think it's pretty ridiculous when someone personally attacks you when they don't agree with your opinion when they asked for your opinion on an opinion based website..
    It's also pretty childish to be targeted and personally criticised on a completely separate topic to what the subject was about.
    I've never received this in pm, but you just need to make sure you don't over think what they're saying. You are who you are and as long as you're being pleasant then you just need to stay true to yourself. Block/Ignore the person and just leave them to their butthurt selves.

• You're right. I tend to over think everything! Thanks for the reminder not to do that here!

• You're welcome! It's difficult sometimes but if you really overview the situation then you'll realise there's no reason for you to take what they're saying seriously!