Why do pointless questions get more attention than questions asking for advice?

When people genuinely need advice or help, those questions usually get overlooked by pointless questions or troll questions. Why is that? Why does a question like: "Which ggirl is prettier?" Get more attention than a question like "Feeling depressed. Help me?" That makes no sense to me. I feel like that's the reason G@G put the question limit on the site.

Most Helpful Guy

• Because its usually a long ass question written in one paragraph that will end up suckling me in. The problem with helping the needy is well they're needy. I don't need to get 20 messages a day from a person who is unwilling to help themselves again.

Most Helpful Girl

• true.
    i think people looking for genuine advice might want to word their question better to make it more appealing, as well as write the content in a very direct, concise and relatively short way so that whoever is looking at it will WANT to answer it. that usually helps. a title as brief as 'feeling depressed, help me?' unfortunately, would get skimmed over. maybe something more relatable will draw people in.

'have you ever been depressed? if so, what did you do to overcome it?'

something like that.

What Guys Said 17

• I think the feed has a lot to do with it - A lot of people probably have it set to who they follow - I agree the trend is towards light questions, not sure why maybe people are just escaping and want a bit of entertainment - Why are sitcoms top rated shows over documentaries

• Maybe it's related to the topic they're asked in... I can imagine that any question asked in "dating" or "relationships" will attract more attention since that's more or less the "core business" of GAG.
    And indeed the "does he love me" questions irritate me as well :o especially since you just can't know :-(

• Unfortunately, most people are lazy or indifferent about helping others. You can say it's an example of sloth. However, not everyone you'll come across will be like that. Some people will care and help. You can always tag names of users that have helped you before. I'm sure they'll will help you and other people who need help. I have had some really nice people help. Sometimes I use Quora for help on serious issues like depression or negative thoughts/emotions.

• Yup buzzfeed questions get more attention than everything else. I usually see this question once a week, everyone notices it yet does nothing.

• The way I see it, every question on this website is pointless. Let's face it, we are wasting time here. Silly and pointless questions are more interesting to answer than someone needing help.

If someone needs help then they shouldn't rely on some semi-popular website for it. They may get answers but they shouldn't expect many.

• People are lazy... I think if a question requires too much depth or detail people tend to steer clear.

Best thing to do is simplify the question as much as possible.

• Much like in a social setting the ones that are light hearted and make things fun will get more attention than the depressed party pooper

Kinda the same idea

• Pointless people want pointless questions so they can say pointless things.

"Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools speak because they have to say something."-Plato

• I think it's the way the live feed works.

• It could be that there are a lot more people on this site who need advice than there are people who are able to give advice.

• People are immature and just wanna dick around. Go figure.

• "which girl is prettier?" gives me quick material to add to my wank bank. "Feelin depressed, help me?' does not.

• I don't know, I have no idea. However this is a good question you have asked.

• Probably easier to answer

• To be honest if you're depressed you need to see a professional. On the other hand, if you want to know which girl is hotter, I am THE authority on that.

• Often time no advice can really be given. A lot of questions asking for advice require not only more reading but a clear understanding of the situation. Which most people can't provide. So when people see advice questions that they simply can't answer over and over that start to just avoid them. That and most of the time even if you are given enough information you're about as clueless as the person asking the question.

• How DARE you :D I've given great advice to you and others as an anon all the time> I get MHO fairly often, which always surprises me, because I tend to write LOADS and rant a bit, but I do really think about the advice I give.

What Girls Said 13

• There's multiple reasons why.

1) Some people want to answer as many questions as possible to obtain quick X-per points.

2) Some people are on a time-limit (and cannot read through lengthy questions) they require more thought.

3) Some people are just not great advice givers, so they seek only to answer the easier questions.

• Because writing long advises is fucking boring.

Also.. I used to do that and I got tired of it. Then didn't even comment on my opinion if I asked them questions.

Or sometimes the user has blocked me and I totally lost like 5 minutes of my life.

• I suppose it's cause those questions are easier to answer, there's no long descriptions, etc. People are lazy. And most people don't really care about other people's problems, as sad as it may be. That's life.

• That's just the turn this site has taken. It's been like this for a while now.
    No one wants to read anything longer than a sentence. Any time I see a poll asking people if they flat out skip posts that are lengthy, the majority vote is always yes.

• I blame twitter and vines for reducing people's attention spans. I mean, I understand the need to be laconic but details are needed too.

• I guess because no one is really here to help, just to feed their own egos.

• I think that questions like "Feeling depressed. Help me?" are a bit more complicated to answer and a lot of people don't feel qualified to do so. Also, a lot of people don't like questions with long descriptions I don't think. Questions like "Which girl is prettier?" are quick and easy to answer and are a fast way to get more Xper points.

• I feel like this keeps getting asked, but yet I don't see the people that are asking it answering any of those questions.

• I wonder the same thing.. Maybe its bc people are too lazy to read the description

• That is a good question! I ask this myself a lot.

• Pointless questions are easier to answer

• Well I can't say anything because I be asking pointless questions most of the time 😂😂

• I guess because those questions aren't as 'fun to do' or as 'intresting' as the other ones.

• I used to answer questions about depression but stopped since they dont accept the help.

It gets frustrating.

And sometimes I just don't have the advice.