Can we have downvoting back? it doesn't make sense to have one without the other?

• bring back downvoting
  • get rid of upvoting and downvoting
  • keep just upvoting
also, the mho star is too close to the comment button.

Most Helpful Guy

• Yeah I'd be okay with it back. It was interesting to see which of my comments got downvoted, especially because I never knew which ones WOULD be downvoted.

• I accidentally gave you mho. I meant to click on the comment thingy.

anyway, I feel the same. most people don't comment on opinions. it's fun to see how many people simply agree and disagree with you.

• Haha.
      I DO like the feature that shows if the Asker upvoted, cause now we can see if the Asker is being a twat by upvoting fucking every post.

Most Helpful Girl

What Guys Said 16

• I actually really like the downvote function.

Here's why:
    A bit of a random example, but let's say someone asked the question "How do I look?" and then someone makes an incredibly racist comment that happens to not get hidden (I've seen em plenty of times before). Normally, in old GAG, that would be downvoted to oblivion for just reasons and there would be maybe 2 or 3 people with similar prejudiced mindsets who agree.
    In new GAG format, all we can see would be the likes and comments. Hardly anyone ever wants to comment and start a fight with people, so people (like OP) would see the racist comment and the 2-3 upvotes/likes. That's like saying that the racist people are right in what they said and condones their behavior.

Another example:
    Let's say someone asks a question like "Does she like me?" Then, a user comments and decides to totally give awful advice to his question. Normally, people would read the bad advice and downvote, sometimes commenting. There would be maybe like 2 upvotes from people who thought the opinion was funny or are just trolling and upvoting to screw with people. Now under 18 OP is going to see the awful advice and be like "oh wow I guess this is what I need to do" considering the upvotes.

Yeah, these are possibly specific/outlandish examples, but to say this couldn't happen now is a lie.

Considering the nature of this site-- advice, downvoting is necessary. This, at the heart of it, is not a social media site like Facebook. Being able to agree or disagree with certain opinons/comments/questions is dire importance to an advice website such as this. It tells what opinions are good and what opinions are bad. Looking at only upvotes does not give an accurate representation of good and bad.

I appreciate the effort of GAG for trying to bring updates to the site. Some of them have been really nice actually. The "like" feature for questions is good in my opinion. But the downvote abolishment is quite bad. It is turning it into Facebook, and GAG should definitely not be like Facebook.

• Real talk. Absolutely absurd decision to remove it.

• My opinion on this might be idiotic, but how would I ever know now?

• I think that way of thinking is idiotic. There ya go 😊 But by no means do I think you're an idiot, if I remember correctly you gave me some sound advice a while ago.
      It weeds out the whimps who don't stand by how they feel.

• @jwhit haha, that's fair, I do appreciate the aspect of requiring a written response. I'm not considering the potential cowardly shit. When I get down votes I definitely think "well, fine, you disagree, but WHY?" I wonder if there could be some kind of middle ground. Like your down vote would only register if you included a response. But that's probably overthinking it, haha.

• This place is now reminding me of those shitty schools where all the kids are winners, everyone gets 1st place! LMFAO

• BRING BACK THE DOWNVOTE OPTION!

• I want it back too. I very very rarely downvote, but I liked that option.

• I like it this way, keeps dumbasses for downvoting unnecessarily. Now if you really got cojones you can just straight up tell the person why you disagree, but we all know that rarely happens.

I'm waiting until marriage for sex... Downvote, like really? This is for those who would downvote my opinion but can't 🖕🏽😜

• I do it actually, when necessary. sometimes I disagree, but don't have much to say, so a downvote is good enough.

• What good is downvoting an opinion, it doesn't open up things for discussion to try and see why people think a certain way.

• Exactly. It makes no sense what do ever to get rid of one but keep the other. This sites already going down the drain, but I guess they're making sure it reaches the bottom in a more timely fashion

• …what the fuck? I just got back and downvoting is gone? Bring it back.

• I agree, reason why this is better than fbl ol

• While I agree with you, a lot of sites, like Youtube and Disqus have done away with downvoting, I think to spare hurt feelings and upvote/downvote wars. Facebook was said to be coming out with a Dislike button, but that never happened, did it? I just don't see it coming back as that seems the be the direction the tide is going with many sites.

• feelings get hurt on this even without them. I can understand if they go rid of voting altogether, but one without the other makes no sense.

• 2.bp.blogspot.com/.../michael-scott-no.gif
    No, the decision is final! Downvotes stay buried in the depths of hell, where they belong!

• They are trying to keep it postive. I agree with you though.

• 2|1
  • When did you lose downvoting?

• Now it is more like Facebook but of you disagree you will need to leave a message which may be more helpful than a strainght downvote.

• no, people will still not leave a message because most here like to remain totally anon.

• Now I don't know if my trolling is working

What Girls Said 6

• Keep me happy! (: Upvote!

• I definitely want down voting back

• that's sad. now we can't have games like, "who can get the most downvotes!"

• I want it back too!

• Yes!!! I remember when Yahoo! Answers did this and it only lasted for about a week or so. I think it's way too politically correct and down votes can kind of help in a way (say someone asks for advice and someone is either trolling or giving horrible advice that is guaranteed horrible results), because they can kind of give the asker an idea of whether or not that really is a good idea, if you get what I'm saying.

• WE WANT DOWNVOTES! WE WANT DOWNVOTES!