For what reason can you think of that gag would remove downvotes?

I don't see any logical reason they'd remove it. Seems like it was just for the sake of it. So what do you think their reason was?

Most Helpful Guy

• Because they have no clue what they are doing. They think they can run a business through trial and error. They do stuff just to be doing it and see what happens.

In this case they want to try an ideal world full of butterflies and unicorns, and everyone agrees with everyone else. This is one of the most full of shit sites on the internet. But I guess some people want to pretend that all the bullshit posted here is legitimate. Then all the young gullible readers see it and think "Oh, lots of up votes and no down votes. So the moon really is made of cheese."

• Lol you know you can still comment saying why you don't agree instead of hiding behind an anonymous downvote. It actually promotes boldness in my opinion, something people nowadays lack. See I'm actually telling you why I disagree instead of downvoting you.

• @jwhit
      The same can be said of up votes.

The votes can be seen at a glance. It's not just about being bold. It's about dealing with reality. Reality is that the large majority of people won't comment at all. And an even larger majority won't read more than a few comments. Heck, large numbers of people don't even read the question they are answering. They read the title or first sentence then answer.

The vote system is definitely limited, and shouldn't be taken too seriously, but it does provide some feedback. If nothing else, it can make people reconsider what the person said.

• I'll also add that I don't like the comment count. I don't see how that adds anything. It's more like information overload, similar to when the site had separate up/down votes for males and females. I assume that was changed to reduce the clutter.

Most Helpful Girl

• They don't want unnecessary drama

What Guys Said 15

• They want a positive environment for sheltered softies.

BRING THE DOWNVOTE OPTION BACK!

• they don't really need a logical reason to do what they do, but perhaps they're trying to stimulate a more user-friendly environment (theory)

• It wasn't user friendly with the downvotes? How comes? You're an admin, so maybe you know this- did people genuinely complain or feel hurt by downvotes they received?

• Ohh, so what's that little symbol next to your name for? I thought it meant admin.
      Never seen people make a big deal over getting down votes, I thought downvotes were part of the site and part of sharing opinions etc..

• the little u is for Uber Mod. a is for Admin.

ehh i see it happen frequent enough to the point where it would make sense that the developers took away downvotes. it was usually always the same users too, and sometimes I see some hate spark out of a downvote, such as the person calling out anyone who downvoted them and then cussing out everyone for downvoting that person, since it was all anonymous.

• Someone probably tried to sue for emotional damages after their opinion was downvoted.

• boston.barstoolsports.com/.../...1201_743436_n.jpg
    ThePussification Of America, World Tour '16

• I honestly liked how we could both up-vote and down-vote. It also allowed me to tell what was very liked and very disliked by other users.

• There's nothing logical about the design decisions this site makes, never has been. They don't beta test anything or respond to criticism, they just make layout changes on a whim, often creating "solutions" to non existent problems. For a site of its scale, it's the least user friendly site I've ever seen.

• The same reason facebook doesn't allow dislikes for the most part

As much as its great, not everyone is dying to have their comments diskiked. It does indeed create a negative tone. For some people getting 10 downvotes could potentially ruin their day.

But for facebook it goes much further since they have events, businesses, advertisements that dont want to be negatively effected by dislikes

• With Facebook the user can see the person that liked. If the person was shown the dislike, that could cause personal conflicts. With gag the user could just see anonymous down votes that I don't think most users would notice because I bet a majority of us only see a small percentage of our comments that have had much exposure to be liked or disliked.

• so people don't get upset when someone expresses that they don't agree with what they said. its fucking stupid

• The same reason I think Youtube and Disqus did it, to stop upvote/downvote wars. But both of those sites/services still have the downvote symbol for comments, but when you click on it, it does absolutely nothing anymore.

• They probably want positive reinforcement instead of negative reinforcement.

• Who downvotes? Such negativity from the keyboard warriors!!!

• To try to be more positive, by eliminating the "negative" downvotes.

• I think that was pointless tbh to remove it.

What Girls Said 5

• Just to fuck with us by introducing more pointless updates or more likely, to provide an even more pc-friendly environment. Seeing as how a large part of GaG's appeal seems to be providing a way for everyone to get their ego-stroked.

• I just down voted you. ;)

• @CheerGirl38139 hhahah ah well... ignorance is bliss eh? :P

• I've really wondered who got the idea of some updates I've seen. Occasionally I've been surprised at someone thinking some of the changes will be liked at least overall. This is one update I think will be revoked within 3 days or so.

• The PC Police have taken over. Too many people offended. That's my guess lol

• There were multiple reasons for this change. One was simply because of the introduction of the like feature for questions and myTakes, it makes sense to extend that feature to opinions also in order to be consistent. However, we do also want to build more of a positive community atmosphere which was another reason for it. :)

• well for the first one you could have just added up-/downvotes to the questions :P

• If you want a more positive community then maybe you all shouldn't willfully decide to feature questions posted by *known* misogyny trolls talking about how all women who work outside the home are whores and promote takes by editors who tell people that when a woman says she doesn't want to have sex it really means she wants to have sex.

• Because they want to be more like a basement dwelling Magical Girl.

• To stop the trolling.