Why do people ask normal or somewhat normal questions as anonymous?

I answer a lot of questions on here, usually relationship related, and just don't understand why they post anonymously.. Thoughts?

Most Helpful Girl

• Some people have serious harassment issues so they try to stay anonymous, other people want to be trolls, and some people are just shy.

• Great answer! Didn't take into account the shy perspective..

• Thank you for saying so! There's all sorts of people on GaG so you never know :)

Most Helpful Guy

• I know what ya mean and it's profoundly disturbing. Visions run through my head of acne-infested pubescents hiding in the bushes shouting "what's your favorite color?"' "Does he like me?" or "What color hair do you like best?" at unsuspecting passersby! A veritable generation of paranoid, self-absorbed motormouths.

What Girls Said 5

• Maybe they know who they are in the community! Like me for an example a few handful of people know me and i might want hide something too personally. Most of the time I let it all out. I don't like hiding my life!

• Lol, I don't understand it either, but to each their own. I don't really see why it matters that much that their anonymous though. The internet is anonymous. I don't see why people care so much about it.

• Concerned someone they know will log on and figure out its them 😂

• All I can say is you posted an important question and didn't do it anonymously..

• I already told him how I feel so he is welcome to log on and see the reactions to what I wrote if he chooses to snoop on my iPad

• I have been wondering the same for 3 years. No one has ever given me a good reason.

• Maybe they don't want their friends to find out. If you were the type of person who did not exersize but you asked a question that basically said you exersize a lot some people may tease you.

What Guys Said 4

• I just like to be anonymous. I hate attention; even the tiniest bit of attention. I see no point in showing who I am. I will answer answer favourite colour question as anonymous and a normal question without going anonymous. It doesn't really matter to me. Randomness rules.

• Lol I asked about asking questions anonymously.. by the way you said answer answer...

• Yeah I know. I rarely ask questions. It's same for questions & answers. Like, once I asked a music related questions anonymously.

• I've rarely asked any question without going anonymous :P

• Give some examples :)

• I asked the question to get examples from others.. Did you read the description?

• I have thought it odd to ask a lot of the questions I've seen as anon, but I've always assumed it's most likely people that are new to GAG.

It does take a bit of courage to ask questions pertaining to deep seeded emotions. I've been tempted to ask as anon almost every time I ask a question, but then I think "What's the point?" and just post as me. Being honest is makes you vulnerable and while the questions may be "normal" for us, it may be quite a different story for them. Maybe they have never really opened up to anyone. Seems plausible to me.

• Good point. I also see a lot see a lot of anon questions are from late teen to early 20's and remember when it wasn't so easy to open up to others...

• I don't know, whenever I asked on yahoo answers and on here at first, I was always worried someone I knew would somehow figure out that what I posted, and then they'd have some messed up blackmail or think I'm pathetic lol. I've learned that I don't really care anymore, I doubt I'd see anyone I know on here anyways. *knocks on wood* lol

• Haha there's nothing to worry about..

• I just wouldn't want one of my friends to be like "Hey I saw you on GaG!", I'd probably be really shocked and confused lol

• Lol you could always ask them what they was doing on here..

• because if people like you, they'll sugarcoat.

and vise versa.