Dear gag: can we have the option to block anonymous users permanently? would anyone else like this?

personally, I'm sick of guys who ask questions, get upset over my opinion, rant, then block me, yet I'm unable to do the same. where's the fairness in that? for that matter, when going to my own list of blocked users, I should be able to see who has blocked me as well.

• yes, to permanently blocking anon users
  • no

Most Helpful Guy

• I think you should be able to block anonymous users, yeah. But in order to protect people's anonymity, those profiles shouldn't appear under your blocked list.

Most Helpful Girl

• That would actually be a good update so we can't have that.

What Guys Said 16

• This makes no sense whatsoever. If you don't want to answer questions to anonymous people, then don't post on their questions or opinions. This is 100% preventable. Therefore there is no reason to block them. When they reply to you on your opinion, they can not be anonymous, and you can already ban any anonymous opinions on your questions, so that part doesn't make sense either. The only way for an anonymous person to stay anonymous when talking to you, is for you to have started the conversation with them, or at least allowed them to post on your question.

That would defeat the purpose of the anonymous feature which is critical for a site like this. On a site that has so many personal issues, harming the anonymous feature would greatly limit the questions and opinions given.

• I have no issue answering their questions, or they answering mine. the issue is some people who like to harrass or troll users hide behind the anon feature. being able to block them back at least would be fair. I don't like making my questions not allow anonymous users, so being able to just block an individual completely would stop certain user from going out of their way to start trouble on any questions I ask, not just the one.

• That would be good. It would be a win/win situation.

• Thank you very much for the upvote. I hope they allow users to block anonymous. It would be nice to know who blocked you.

• like an old chatroom?

• Yes and you could chat with anybody you want kind of like a yahoo chat bar thing. They use to have a chat room to.

• Yeah that would actually be a nice update but because of that point it means we won't get it.

• No, you should not be able to block anonymous users - ill tell you why

1. By default it can potentially reveal who they are by lack of posts or opinions in the
    or you not geing able to 'like' opinions (however the feature works) - think about that for a second.
    2. You might block someone you dont want to just because of one opinion, which makes no sense.

Anonymous is not a separate account, its like a shadow account, secondary account that everyone can use at their discretion, you should only be able to block actual username accounts so there are no mistakes

• anyone I block, I block because they're harassing me, it isn't because of one opinion.

• number 1 can be figured out with programing.

"friends" shouldn't go anon and be jerks to each other.

• yea why not display nucear launch codes because of 'programming'. Or why even have a gag password because of progamming - that is a very very poor excuse to justify something you want. You are completely missing the point

Reality - friends do and might go anon to be jerks

• Yes, but don't you think it will only encourage users to block more people? of course I agree some people deserve to be blocked.

• but i love messing with chu :P

• I know there is some valid reasons to post anonymously, but I think it is heavily abused here. The one big problem I see with your proposal is if you were able to block an anonymous person for all posts, under the way the system works now, their real user name would appear in your blocked user list. I would, however, like to see a way to block that person from all future posts without disclosing their ID, but there would be no way to unblock them. I'm starting to reply less often to anonymous posts unless there appears to be a very real need for anonymity in their post.

• I'm sure they could find some solution to that. put them somewhere else, or simply put it as anon user.

• If you block them permanently, you will be able to see them in your Blocks list which will kill their anonymity. And the functionality will easily be abused in which you can just block the Anonymous person, reveal their identity, and then unblock them again. For GAG to work around this, they will need to add changes to the database in which if the user blocked was anonymous, it wouldn't show up on the list. So, that's a lot of coding required for a functionality that is not so important.

• No, that's not a good idea, because it would reduce the number of answers.

• Um no, cause if you blocked someone anonymous than their real name would show up under blocked users, defeating the purpose of being anonymous.

• Totally agree with blacking anon users.

• Why do you want to see the people who block you?

• People can block you on your own question? I might roast anyone who does that on my questions

• your blocked list? lollllll you're lame

• Why do you care who blocked you?

• I don't really. though, sometimes I go to comment on someone's opinion and find out they've blocked me. it'd be nice to know before writing out a long well thought out response to them that I've been blocked.

• I see your point. Does this happen very often? I think I've been blocked maybe twice.

• I'm very opinionated. yes, many people don't like that.

• You can stop people from posting anonymously on your question

• I don't want to. not every anon answerer is an ass. also, in this case, an anon questioner was what prompted this question

• You can't block them because it would reveal their identity of course.

What Girls Said 12

• Yes that would be great.

• I'd be good with that but it'll NEVER happen.

• I don't block people so It doesn't make a difference to me

• You should be able to see who blocked you, but we should still have anonymous users.

Just because there are a few bad eggs, doesn't mean we should have to take away the safety the anon feature presents.

• I don't get how so many of you are interpreting my question as can we get rid of anonymous users... ?

• I particularly like the part of being able to see who has blocked you.

• I like asking things anon sometimes. I like to get help sometimes in a way where my friends can't find my awkward questions

• I'd definitely like to see who has me blocked so that I can return the favor.

• no bc im usually one people block lol

• Yes. There are a few anon users I'd love to block permanently.

• No. People should just stop encouraging GaG admins to make any further updates.

• People have a right to remain anonymous.

• I never suggested they don't. that's not even the issue here. try actually reading the question. ;)

• I don't think any site show's who has blocked you, just saying. I don't think gag is goig to be the first site to start that.

• I'm fine with that. the option to permanently block anon users would be nice though.

• I think though the problem with that is, many people get annoyed or mad with someone and block them. Several days/months later they want to unblock them but if you had them permanently blocked you couldn't do that

• you can always unblock people. I've done it.