Why do you want downvotes? Just why?

Aren't you happy that there's less hate on this site now? Aren't you happy that someone won't get upset and feel hesitant in posting honest opinions? Aren't you happy that you can now finally get rid of downvoter stalker trolls? Aren't you happy with the advantage of earning +3 xper? Aren't you happy that... it's saving your precious time?

Why do you want downvotes? Just why?
Why are you all so desperate to hate each other? Isn't it like real life now, because in real life, when you love someone's opinion, you admire them, adopt them, follow them. And if you didn't, you just ignore them. Do you indulge in fight or stamp on their head that this person shouldn't be taken seriously?

Do you think it helps the asker? It is nothing but ego boost. This guy's post got 50+ downvotes and everyone was nothing but excited and he got MHO.
http://www.girlsaskguys.com/dating/q1233924-should-girls-with-aa-cups-just-give-up

You guys are saying that it decreases "debates".
But that's not good for the site. This site needs more debates so that there'll be more discussions, more communication, more controversy.
I support #TheGAGAuthority
[Update 1.1]
It increases* debates.
(Thanks DivaMonae for pointing that out)

[Update 2.0]
Keep sharing your thoughts and opinions. Admins ARE listening. Have faith and patience.
Selecting MHO was extremely difficult.
Runner-ups: ObscuredBeyond ; Anonymous (18-24) girl
Second runner-ups: DangerDoge & HandsomeRaj ; DivaMonae

Most Helpful Girl

• I think having the downvotes taken away. People are forced to say what they really think. As in why they hate what you said. Though majority of people are too cowardly to speak out in that matter. So instead of running away and hating in the shadows. They are forced to bring it to the light if they dare to even say it. Though majority of the people that downvote don't have the balls to even say why they didn't agree.

Honestly there are times when you should debate about a certain subject you disagree with. Then there are times you shouldn't bother to say anything or do anything towards what you disagree. Meaning with really stupid comments or questions. They should just be 100% ignored. So no downvotes, messages, etc. They will never get acknowledge this way. So hopefully the really dumb questions and commits might die out. Since nobody willl say or show any signs of caring.

Plus i believe the gag community lost the privilege of having downvotes. Since so many people kept downvoting just because they hated the person. It wasn't based on what kind of comment they made. Even on good ones people would downvote which was stupid. It didn't make any sense for it to happen. So thanks to those people everyone is paying the price. So this is our punishment for those idiots that love to downvote others 24/7 because they are sour cunts.

Most Helpful Guy

• Honestly, I don't generally vote for things either way unless I'm really compelled to, and even then it's usually an upvote. I just think that on an advice site, it's pretty important for advice to be able to be seconded OR disagreed with, and that doesn't always necessitate a verbal response. I mean, first off, I couldn't give a fuck less if someone down votes me, that really shouldn't bother people. There are people from all over the world, from all different cultures and backgrounds, so we're not always going to agree with each other. But if someone dispenses terrible advice, we should have the option to simply disagree with a vote, rather than have to be like "I disagree, and here's why..." Does it mildly frustrate me when people down vote and don't explain? At times, sure, especially when I feel like what I've said is very reasonable. But I mean, someone could have accidentally hit the button on a touchscreen device, so whatever. And in any case, I can never lose sight of the fact that this is the Internet, and things that happen on the Internet simply don't matter. So I just can't care enough about it. And I understand the idea of inspiring debates, but I think most of us just don't have time to do that to that level, every single time we disagree. I tend to just move on and think they're wrong, but many would probably like an option to down vote. And just in general, taking away options from anything is usually a bad thing.

I don't know what the logic was behind the move. But if it has anything to do with some soft and sweet PC shit about not hurting people's feelings, that's everything I stand against. Just be real at all times, for better or worse. No one's protecting me from anything in real life, I don't need people protecting me on the Internet aka "fake life." If it's an anti-trolling measure, trolls will still be as active as ever, just looking for actual responses even without the down votes. I'm not going to set anything on fire over it, it doesn't really affect me much personally, but I think it's a definite downgrade for the site.

• Do downvotes even matter?

• Thanks for your time :)

• No doubt, brother👊

What Girls Said 26

• If someone gives shitty advice it's nice to see a majority downvote so that specific advice is taken with a grain of salt. Why are people so sensitive about getting down voted?

She gave the guy MHG because she felt he was honest, even if he had the most downvotes, but at least she could see how many people disagreed. She would prob feel worse not knowing and thinking many people do agree, now all that's left is the upvotes and nothing to compare. Looking at that example now it's 10 upvotes and no one knows how many disagreed so it looks like a great idea.

• No I'm actually not though I'll admit that I do like the fact that we can earn 3 xper points when people agree with us but I don't feel as if that's really connected. They could've allowed that and kept the down votes 😕

And honestly I have to disagree I feel like this is only making the situation worse. Disagreeing with someone is one thing but the fact that we can no longer do that in my opinion only enforces more arguments. It was a peaceful way to disagree with someone or their point of view by taking that away it only results into people forcibly commenting and having feuds. If they honestly think that that's a way to bring down the drama it's quite the opposite.

I was never hesitant to state my honest opinion so it's not much of an improvement for me. I could care less about downvoting stalkers it didn't effect my opinion or where I stood. And as for saving time it's the exact opposite for me. Downvotes were a quick, easy, and non confrontational way to disagree now I'll have to comment more often and state my opinion and why I disagree with them 😒

• Also I'm a bit confused from your question and details it sounds like you like the fact that they took away down votes. But from your update it sounds like you don't support it because people are claiming that it decreases debates and you support debates...

• Ohh why did I write "it's not good for site" 😭
      Now, I can't even update the question any further 😭😭😭

At least I wrote "This site needs more debates" after that. 😓

I need a blanket to hide my face.

• Now you see what I mean 😉

• Being able to downvote saves arguments. Period. It also allows people to vent annoyance a little bit at a time instead of making it build up to the point that people explode. Pushing bad feelings out of view doesn't get rid of them. They're still there.

• Update is for you.

• @ConsultantIsBack Yeah, but no one else does it if I don't. When GaG learns to freaking reverse image search, I'll stop bitching. Because then other people will do the bitching for me :D

• Like it or not they have a voice in shaping public policy, they NEED TO be engaged, otherwise bad policy becomes law.

• by downvoting, i could express myself without starting an argument. now when i see something moronic on here, i am much more likely to start an argument. so really... removing downvotes is going to increase negativity.

• Do you seriously believe that your downvote is equally influential as compared to your debate?

• @Krillanr... so you're depending on yourself or things to be done... in order to remain sane. lol. either way, you're depending on -something-.

anyway, we aren't getting anywhere.

• Point is, I keep myself happy. I don't need somethin to be a certain way for me to be happy.

You're right, we aren't getting anywhere, I was quite enjoying the tennis match we were havin though. XD

But fair enough, I'll leave ya be.

• Society is already becoming PC already, and now a simple button that quickly shows that you disagree is offensive? Honestly I just think it's a convenience and it saves me from having to write a long paragraph as to why I disagree. Plus I rather not get into arguments with people...

I wrote a take on it putting people's reasons as to why it was a bad idea together.

www.girlsaskguys.com/.../a25142-why-removing-the-downvote-button-was-a-for-the-most-part-bad-idea

• There isn't less hate, people are making up for it with starting arguments.. Which is a thousand times more annoying.

• omg that last gif is repulsive!

yeah i never cared much for them, but i can understand why others want it back. after being used to something for so long, it can be irritating not having it around.

• There are more arguments and thus more opportunities for verbal abuse. Now, when I downvote someone, they don't just go "Hmm, someone disagrees with me." They see #downvoted and now that *I* have disagreed with them. This just leaves me open to abuse, really.

• I mean is it necessary and worth it to argue with people to the limits where it becomes a verbal attack just because you don't agree?

• I don't think so, but people still do it. You

• I think having down votes gave a clearer picture of general opinion on people's comments. I liked being able to see Iowa many people agreed vs disagreed. Now, all you know is how many people agreed.

• To keep it positive!

• Because now I have to take the time to tell you (I'm using this in general, not you specifically) that you're a moron. Why do I have to? Because I'm a bitch. Sorry.

• That gif is great.

I guess people dislike not being able to show their dislike.

• No. Not having downvotes doesn't mean there's no hate, it just means that There's more censorship. And more censorship usually means less freedom.

• Preach!!! I'm with you on that one. I have nothing to add. I agree with everything. I wish more people thought like you.
    45.media.tumblr.com/.../...clXDuL1rikwsko1_400.gif

• I agree.

"Isn't it like real life now, because in real life, when you love someone's opinion, you admire them, adopt them, follow them. And if you didn't, you just ignore them."

You are wise.

• Because without the down votes I'd probably curse someone out for saying something idiotic in a heartbeat, and would end up banned for it. xD

• Sounds fun xD please do it!

And you are SuperMod so, you know the limits and won't get banned.

• Muahaha 😈 my powers are out of your imagination, Little Taco.

• Taco the Great* and my powers are superior. Nothing can equal them.

• I don't downvote unless it's racist, discriminatory or sexist. Just things along those lines

Otherwise even if I don't like what they say, I don't downvote

• I would like to get in touch with my hatergators

• Down vote helps cause now instead of leaving it at that, those people write more insults.

• cus they get me all hot and bothered

• cause I am sadistic

• I think replying causes more hate

• My wrath must be heard via downvotes!

No, I don't know, I rarely used that feature so I don't care if it's available or not.

• We all know why you don't want the downvotes. Guess you're still butthurt about your "downvoter stalker trolls". I'm willing to bet you'd be singing a different song if that weren't the case. This whole thing makes me laugh so much.

• Instead of down voting or saying I disagree, people instead just say 'downvote', which is so irritating, and just starts arguments so yeah, more negativity actually

• This is the reason why I asked this. This is irritating.

But why people just don't ignore those opinions?

• I don't know for comments its just there, like i kind of feel obligated to respond

• GAG is supposed to be a community of people expressing their opinions. Voting is a form of expressing your agreement or disagreement with something someone else said. Taking away downvoting is taking away a piece of the community. I mean, isn't society becoming PC enough? Extreme feminists are already convincing society it's wrong to express anything except for complete agreement and acceptance, now I can't even give a simple downvote expressing my disagreement on GAG?

I mean really, you consider a freaking downvote an expression of hate? Would you rather me comment a strongly worded argument under every opinion I disagree with? Or would you agree that a simple downvote would be better?

And just so you know, people who float around in real life simply ignoring everything they find wrong are useless. They do nothing to help anything because they're so caught up in minding their own business. I know how to respectfully disagree with others in real life. I don't just go around turning a blind eye to everything I disagree with. That would make me a waste of space, really.

What Guys Said 27

• I actually really like the downvote function.

A bit of a random example, but let's say someone asked the question "How do I look?" and then someone makes an incredibly racist comment that happens to not get hidden (I've seen em plenty of times before). Normally, in old GAG, that would be downvoted to oblivion for just reasons and there would be maybe 2 or 3 people with similar prejudiced mindsets who agree.
    In new GAG format, all we can see would be the likes and comments. Hardly anyone ever wants to comment and start a fight with people, so people (like OP) would see the racist comment and the 2-3 upvotes/likes. That's like saying that the racist people are right in what they said and condones their behavior.

Another example:
    Let's say someone asks a question like "Does she like me?" Then, a user comments and decides to totally give awful advice to his question. Normally, people would read the bad advice and downvote, sometimes commenting. There would be maybe like 2 upvotes from people who thought the opinion was funny or are just trolling and upvoting to screw with people. Now under 18 OP is going to see the awful advice and be like "oh wow I guess this is what I need to do" considering the upvotes.

Yeah, these are possibly specific/outlandish examples, but to say this couldn't happen now is a lie.

Considering the nature of this site-- advice, downvoting is necessary. This, at the heart of it, is not a social media site like Facebook. Being able to agree or disagree with certain opinons/comments/questions is dire importance to an advice website such as this. It tells what opinions are good and what opinions are bad. Looking at only upvotes does not give an accurate representation of good and bad.

I appreciate the effort of GAG for trying to bring updates to the site. Some of them have been really nice actually. The "like" feature for questions is good in my opinion. But the downvote abolishment is quite bad. It is turning it into Facebook, and GAG should definitely not be like Facebook."

In theory, it'd be a good idea to take away the downvote button. One who disagrees would be able to say "Hey, I disagree and here's why..."
    Some problems though:
    -- Realistically, people won't put in the effort for downvote, but people can easily put in effort for an upvote, leading to skewed sides, leading to above examples.
    -- Fights break out more. Many get offended easily and won't listen to any reason.

• Good. But...

#1. Do you think your downvote really do anything. Do they even remotely influence the answerer?

#2. If you just ignore the trolls and sadists, they'll eat dust and die. By downvoting, you're giving them "attention".

#3. Downvotes don't help OP. (Check my example). A lot of times, I got downvoted so badly but still I got MHOs.

#4. Some people give votes, just based on users. If they like you, they'll upvote you, if they don't, they'll stalk you with a lot of duplicate accounts and downvote your valuable opinion, no matter what.

• On the down side, I now have only one way to gauge public reaction to my posts: no responses or likes means I'm ignored, not noticed, or hated, lots of love means someone out there gets it. With the old system, I knew that many out there got the point and others were clueless. It didn't tell me which was which, that's what comments cued me in on. But it did let me have a way of knowing how many raw nerve endings I had to trigger to send the necessary signal. Lots of likes and dislikes meant my message was relevant, even if I had to pull away a few curtains and anger a few phony wizards to do it.

And you're right about one thing: the egos on this site are ginormous!

Case in point: point to literally anything that suggests atheism is irrational, and some will prove my point better than I can by acting like the apes from the Golden Gate Bridge scene from Rise of the Planet of the Apes. And when they won't argue, the excuse basically comes down to "just... don't go there." Meaning, ego. (Validating Romans 1 before I even have the chance to bring it up, so to preach it in that thread further would be pointless!)
    ===========
    There is a plus side to the fact down votes don't exist anymore, and it has nothing to do with my feelings or anyone else's per se:

It's that this site can now differentiate itself from YouTube a little better. In the YouTube comments section, I've grown to expect the locals to act like savages.

A site that was originally built around dating advice has every right to frame itself in a better light than the savagery YouTube has become known for. And let's not get started with 4Chan or any of the other Chans. They... speak for themselves, really.

• Yes. You're right about 'being unnoticed'.
      Thanks for making it difficult for me to choose MHO.

• Is there a sandbox thread for testing that? I've never known HTML tags to work in GaG comment sections. Otherwise, trust me, I'd be using HTML and CSS egregiously to sell my points, not just make my fonts look better.

• Sorry I don't know.

• 1. For me personally downvotes never held any meaning as I didn't see them adding value apart from the assumption that it helped GAG collect some sort of data whose use was best known to GAG
    2. Downvotes on the other hand had something positive too - it helped people vent their frustration, anger etc but w/o having to use words that hurt others more but just leave them wondering what did they say wrong that someone downvoted them
    3. Absence of downvotes on hindsight will / may result in the same cropping up in form of questions, opinions, opinion comments that may do more damage to those that are emotional and the younger generation :)
    4. 'Why are you all so desperate to hate each other' - racism, hatred, anger is very much a part of natural human behavior as anything else that are deemed positive :)
    5. For those that are always nice too there's a gray area 'Man (or woman) in prosperity shows himself (or herself) as he wishes to be seen and in adversity as he (she) is' :)

• Oh my. You point #4 shattered my polemic 😂
      Great points. :)

• Thank you, young friend for both the up vote and your kind as well as generous words :)

• because i want to have the option to downvote stupid opinions than having to comment and give them the time of day to defense said opinion. and i want justification than see the 4 or 5 idiots who actually upvote (or like i guess) their opinions while negating the 30 people who think they're absolutely retarded.

in the same logic, i'd rather just receive downvotes than have to hear from self righteous assholes about how i'm wrong for an opinion i actually don't really care about.

• Because sometimes downvoting someone's racist, sexist, or otherwise asshole post is easier and far less "hate" inducing than trying to engage in a rational debate which can never be won with an irrational opinion poster.

• Did you "win" anything by downvoting then?

I provided an example where even tremendous amount of downvotes couldn't stop a person.

• Facebook was never really started as a discussion site, so the comparison to this one, which was created for people to ask questions and receive opinions and advice seems like a false equivalency. If GAG wants to be more like FB, then do away with the anonymous postings.

• It's simply because of principle. Disallowing the downvote is them catering to the needs of the overly sensitive. Allowing only one way to express your reaction to an opinion is limiting one's expressive experience.

Why didn't they instead disallow the UPVOTE and just let the downvote remain. That way opinions that are considered good would have nothing while bad opinions would be downvoted? Why not have this kind of system?

Oh right, because that would hurt the opinion poster's 'poow little feewings'

And no, in real life it's naive to presume that you're going to ignore everything you disagree with. That is actually counter productive. A person who says that he's going to drive recklessly on the road is not something you should "ignore". He could kill someone. So instead of ignoring him, you let him know in whatever way you can that he's a dumbass and should not do that.
    So the downvote system has to be there. What if I have no time to write why I disagree with their opinion and instead would prefer to downvote them? What if their opinion is just far too stupid to elicit a written response from me when instead I could just downvote?

• I don't want downvotes because if someone's opinion is inaccurate, incoherent or toxic, I have the choice of advancing an alternative opinion, or simply ignoring them. Either approach is superior to anonymously downvoting.

Also, downvotes were frequently just tools for tools. Downvotes frequently had no meaning whatsoever, beyond "I am an anonymous twat." Removing them is no loss.

• Because their reasoning makes no sense.

If their reasoning is to lessen the hate, then they got rid of a quick and easy way to disagree with something and both people go about their business, and instead just want us to argue in much more detail instead which will probably lead to verbal attacks

If their reasoning is to promote more discussion, then why is there still a like button? Wouldn't getting rid of the like button generate even more discussion, and more positive discussion at that

So yeah, it just doesn't really make any sense

• Good. by the way like button is to promote and appreciate good content. To reward good people.

• ? I remember that Manuel guy was all depressed as usual and he wrote a question asking if it was a good idea that he had decided to never get married. Someone responded yes it was a good idea and he shouldn't have any kids either as to not pass on his awful genes. This got quite a few likes. I guess that was just good content being promoted and appreciated by good people

• We live in a mean world :(

(Got your point)

• Because a numerical statistic that shows just how invalid people think that opinion is is a much faster way for seeing that "ya know maybe you should take it with a grain of salt" than having to read a train of debates where people get blocked mid-sentence.

Now I can post anything offensive but not TOO offensive and people won't be able to show their disagreement in a simple manner. They'll see that 7 people agreed though! It must be a great post on how women are all gold diggers or something.

• I think it helps because it provides a means for gauging the usefulness or otherwise of any given opinion. It also shows people took the time to read it and decide whether they agree or disagree with it. It's not foolproof but it is a useful guide. Plus, it is much more certain that people DIDN'T like something. It's harder to tell at a glance now if something is good advice nobody's voted on, or bad advice that nobody can take any appropriate action on apart from ignoring it (but how are they to communicate that to YOU?)

• Don't you know people upvote just because they're friends and downvotes because they hate or jealous of specific person?

Check Mustachkitteh's opinion

• I believe that the best way to tackle trolls/bullies is to ignore them. The more downvotes they'll earn, the more their ego will be boosted.

But I know from where you are talking.

• Trolls want a reaction, so they can continue to argue and provoke you. You can’t argue with a negative score. Nobody responds to an Opinion owner who says ‘lol @ all the downvotes’.

• Not everything is about feelings. I thought this site was suppose to be a place to which people could come to get good, reliably advice. I don't know about you, but I see a lot of people spouting a bunch of very bad cliches. Some are harmless, but others are downright destructive. A person would be less likely to follow the bad advice if they saw that the person got a lot of down votes for it.

• Mostly when I disagree with them, but I used to do that very rarely, even when the feature was there. Now, it's' not there and in fact that's good I believe, at least to me it's good and it's doesn't matter to me that it is no longer there.

• lol the hate is still there, its just less expressed. I suppose its because they can't agree with the next guy. I honestly have never down voted anyone, because honestly... what is there to gain.

• If there's a like option, there should be a dislike option. It's like one of those shit schools where there's no second place, all the kids are winners and must be as cosseted as possible. I hate anodyne shit. GIVE THE FUCKING DOWNVOTES BACK, NOW!

• Not having downvotes is like denying that there are flaws in the system. They already took out my legit question cause someone tought I was trolling I don't know why they even remove posts. It's like removing reality, people are shallow, bad and/or weird things happen and so this site turns into biased social media shit

• I think it's just jealous/obnoxious/pugnacious bitches for the most part that want them

• You're asking the wrong people about downvotes. you're asking the people who are still here.

ask the people haven't returned... perhaps they'll give you better insight.

• Democratic folks these. They take the downvote as serious as a secret ballot on election day. But, I really don't care for it. I hate the heart though. Something weird about tapping it.

• Because it helps bring balance to the force.

• It's to show disagreement with an opinion.
    I don't always have the time or desire to debate someone who is a racist so a downvote should be enough to show disapproval.

• Why can't you simply ignore?

• Because then the person doesn't know that there are people that disagree with them and it prevents them from growing as a person.

• They make trolls like me feel good.

• That batman rim job Lol.

• All the downvotes I used to get made my dick hard.

• It's not hate, it's just disagreement. I'm kind of upset that they went soft.

• Bring on the hate, I'm aggressive as f*ck!

• People are upset cause now they can't vent their distaste with a spite mark. XD

• Hehe 😈
      Poor powerless people.

*brofist*

• Aye, -brofist- XD

• You're sadly mistaken... I'm upset because I have to take more time and get into more disagreements because they took the simple way away.

And I really have to vent. Down voting wasn't venting it was just disagreeing. Now commenting is venting.

• Because you suck. j/k