Why are people upset over the downvote being taken away?

Honestly thanks to it being gone. Either you can man up and speak out on how you truly feel about what you disagree with. That or you can just ignore how stupid someone sounds. If anything ignoring their stupidity is better than giving it any kind of acknowledgment. By downvoting your acknowledging their stupidity. Which kind of gives in to pointing it out. Meaning you give their idiocy some kind of existence and proving you cared enough to do something about it. So by not having any downvotes you can't give them anything. Plus why even start an argument you already feel like it's pointless? That's kind of retarded in away. Since you can just get over how stupid something is.

Plus I wouldn't doubt that the downvote being taken away is a kind of punishment. Since it mostly seemed like people just downvoted because they just hated that person. Or just not that logical to understand or care to understand what that person meant. So downvoting your being passive aggressive towards the other person. So thanks to the idiots that would downvote 24/7 basically. They caused everyone else to lose that right. Same with any kind of laws that are places. It's due to some idiots that went out and did something. Then causing the rest of the people to deal with a law that the idiots caused.

Most Helpful Guy

• If people are so anal about it they could just comment with "-1 I didn't like your answer" and be done with it. At least now when people have issues they might be brave enough to try and make a point.

• Problem with that is if you're just posting that, then than becomes a qualified opinion which will lower your MHO%... for people who care about that.

Most of the time they're just being too stupid to warrant my time to make a comment.

• Thanks for MH!

Most Helpful Girl

• My *biggest* problem is that they're saying it's a way to make the site nicer but meanwhile they're handpicking questions to feature that say things like "all women who work are whores" and featuring an editor of the week who writes things like ignore when a woman says she doesn't want sex because it's "thought provoking".

So on one hand they're trying to say oh naughty naughty GaGers we're taking away your privileges while on the other they actively choosing to cultivate a community that is *toxic* and blaming it on us.

That is NOT okay.

• Don't you think, you need a chill pill?

• @YourFutureEx I don't like mediocrity. Just shrugging things off that I know can be fixed stresses me out so it's better for me to work on things.

• Well it seems the only way people would ever truly express their opinion. Is if this site took some notes from 4chan in away. Everyone is anonymous. Though I wouldn't want this website to do that since showing your face makes you have to own what you say. Though 4chan is not filtered at all. So you will see some of the most horrible things said that isn't held back at all. Like you said they need to stop being PC and making people feel like if they voice anything they would get removed or banned.

What Guys Said 19

• I think women shouldn't be allowed to game, because they're so bad at it. Like there are no good female comedians, there are no good female gamers. And really, they shouldn't have positions of power or influence, because of how overly emotional they are. They should just stick to watching reality TV. And they end up whining at the insult-throwing that is natural to online gaming and then go to news organizations and talking about "plight", being women and being verbally abused online even though men get way more shit. It's a male environment and shit talking is part of it. If they want to game, they can do it offline. Then their tender little "feelings" can be spared. As they say, if you can't handle the heat, get out of the oven.

Missing the downvote button yet?

I say a lot of controversial things. I liked being able to see the downvotes, because the more downvotes I get, the more I'm convinced I'm correct. People are too lazy to actively respond to comments they wholly disagree with. That takes effort. Especially with the long comments that I make. It's easier to press the downvote button than it is to respond with a well thought out, rational counter argument.

Also I dislike your presumption that anyone who uses the downvote button is using it due to the stupidity of the comment. *Perceived* stupidity. Doesn't mean anyone who gets downvoted was saying something stupid.

And it really is the PC culture thing where "Look! No one dislikes you!" Like people are so fucking fragile that if they get some downvotes they'll go off and kill themselves. And, seeing the level of disagreement and agreement in numbers is nice. As you said, some people might just hate people (like me) and downvote them just to downvote them, but ehh. I liked the downvote button. Taking it away, to me, seems like some of these people going "every kid who plays a sport should get a trophy for participating, not just the winners!"

• I never said that I missed it. For me I never cared to much about the downvote button. If I used it then it was extremely rare.

Also I do agree about how majority of females do seem to suck at playing video games. Which that does depress me some since everyone is just going to keep thinking all women are shit at playing games. Though even if you play good your still going to get hell for it male or female. Like on league of legends people will still say your utter shit even if your carrying everyone's ass. So when it comes to video games no matter how good you are or bad. Your going to be hated and called a pathetic noob cunt just because they felt like it.

I still rather it be the objection button. Mainly since it would make me laugh and I would use it more with things I disagreed with. Though I hate the letter limit on the comment section. Causes people to have to send multiple comments to get all that they are trying to say.

• "OMG I must downvote this or else it's true!"

^That's not how it works. So who cares what stupid things people say?

• @DarkHumorRUs It's more about having the admins ban me for the comment and I lose all the points I worked to get. :D

• I don't know, what upsets them so much, but I think it's just that now they can't simply show their dislike or that they disagree with opinions of someone else by just clicking on button, now they will have to directly express themselves by posting a comment referring the person they wish to disagree with.

• Well personally I like my haters, and I like the ability to downvote someone if I want to, it's just easier then wasting time arguing with them. Because about 70-80% of the time the person won't see rhyme or reason.

• You could still voice your opinion about why you disagree. If they give an illogical reply then there wouldn't be a point responding back. That way you avoid any pointless arguments but still get why you disagree about what they said.

• I agree. And typically I would only downvote things like "women are hairy pigs" wjich really don't need an explanation of why I disagree.

• @BelleGirl21 Exactly.

• I enjoyed collecting downvotes :(

• yup, im glad its gone too for pretty much the same reason. Speak up or shut up people. No more weak sauce downvoting. Now that you've actually got to formulate an argument , people are mad xD

• Though I do think gag could have added something so you could see who downvoted you. That way those people couldn't hide at all. So I think gag just became to lazy to put the work into coding that part to the website. So they just took it away all together to make things easier. Still they went crazy with their CSS since they added those hearts and other things. :D

• well if you "accidentally" give me MHO... don't worry about it. I forgive you ;)

• I haven't accidentally given someone MHO. It's just that I accidentally press the button. Then it pops up asking if you're sure that's what you want. I press no each time. So at least I'm able to catch that part. :D

• mind hole blown :P

• Downvoting is kinda like how people message/mention me, say something, aggressive, then block me right after so I can't reply.

You filthy cunts know who you are.

• :D I really loved the last part you said. "You filthy cunts know who you are." though it made me think of another way to say it but I know that 99% of the people on this website would go bad shit mad if I say it.

• it's impossible to get banned here for that.

• Okay but if I do then u have to give me all your points. :P

Basically it made me think of "You filthy jews know who you are."

• I can see your point.
    I don't really care about the downvotes... they didn't really have any impact as far as I know. Like on other sides where heavily downvoted opinions get hidden or put at the end.
    most stuff got downvoted by haters or people who had a different opinion anyway, even if it was well explained and they had a good point. so, whatever... but please change those hearts lol.

• Yes, The hears are annoying and having 2 hearts showing up from having the question owner upvote you. It's just takes up space and looks weird.

• yup, my thoughts

• vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/.../latest

At least when I give opinions about being sexually attracted to prepubescent being ok to me won't receive 100s of downvotes.

• I love it being gone lol

• I kinda miss it, because now it's harder to calculate amount of libtards being offended by truth :(

• im going to miss all my downvotes. the more downvotes i got the more i knew i was.

• We are butthurt because we have nothing better to do

• downvotes were like rejection to me personally.

• Downvotes make my dick hard.

• It's fuckin bullshit and the admins are a bunch of faggotts

• I don't know. I never used it.

• Is it just me or am i reading GaG asks written with TIMES NEW ROMAN !!! ?
    arghh

• I've noticed the font change as well the second it happened. Again this is annoying and pretty stupid. How gag doesn't try to fix and add HTML to the website and better tools. They just seem to be going crazy with the CSS prettifying all of it. Which thanks to what I have learned from webdesign so far. Changing the font is easy as hell. Though not sure about how easy it is to add the hearts. Still when they first changed it. I thought they were already setting gag up for valentines day. Figured the reason to go crazy with it so early was due to valentines day having more to do with gag related topics.

• The most romantic looking font would be like the Florence, cursive font.
      www-ru.azfonts.net/.../florentine-cursive.png

• Nice looking one for graphic works.
      For web content it would be difficult to read.

Better go with a semi serif font. Times new roman is hard to read.

• Liberals vs Republicans vs Democrat... oh nvm, just liberals left.

What Girls Said 12

• I'm upset about the downvote being taken away because, though it sounds good in theory, this place has been made even more candy-coated as a result. I used to get a downvote on every other opinion of mine at the very least. It didn't bother me much... it's cool to be able to see how popular or shared my opinions are on this forum.

Ever since the removal of the downvote, I have received not a single comment on my opinions that is negative. It's like a love-train now. Nothing but 'likes' that are shown by way of a heart, nonetheless. I can't imagine this being a decent place for good conversations/discussions if the only way to show opinions is to 'like' or comment. Very few people are going to put in the time to actually explain why they may dislike or disagree with opinions.
    static.tumblr.com/.../...ar_everybody_loves_me.gif

• tbh, i still get negative comments. Just yesterday i got called a coon by a black woman for not saying i like big butt black women. So yeah, just give it a few days :)

• Yeah that's the part that is extremely sad. People will only say what they truly feel as long as nobody can find out. So when it comes to telling them anything negative or what they hated about something. Majority of people will keep their mouth shut. So basically majority of people on gag needs to learn how to voice out their opinions even if it's not something positive.

So the downvote could also have been taken away. To see if anyone will actually talk about what they didn't like. Instead of hiding behind a downvote. So this could just be an experiment.

• lol true, u wanna disagree, grow the balls to :P

• media.giphy.com/media/Iqw9DK2cBqJwc/giphy.gif
      I disagree with you, and here's why. I didn't use my balls to type this. Seriously now, when I dont agree with someone I never care enough to get in an argument with, cause I dont want to waste my time talking to a wall. Simple downvote saves everyone time AND shows asker who is being a troll.

• @Squidward i guess we all have to learn the art of ignoring others now then :P

• @Squidward Exactly you get it !

• I actually like the fact that the downvoting option is gone. If someone doesn't like a answer or disagrees with it then they can still comment. I agree with everything you say

• I don't like it because it's only going to make more conflict. Believe me when I say that I'm never afraid to disagree with someone and a lot of the times I'll let the opinion owner know that as well as down vote their opinion.

But doing so can be confrontational and a simple disagreement or debate can turn into a full blown argument and other havoc. Some opinions just although

• Hold on submitted by accident...

• Yeah and then for gag events on saying your best comment or something. They would bombard people with downvotes just so they couldn't win. Which was pretty sad.

• Yeah exactly! It's so annoying 😒

• I honestly don't mind that it's gone, it just helps eliminate that much more of the negativity from G@G in my opinion. If people really disagree with something then they should speak up about it instead of passive-aggressively hating.

• Sadly doesn't seem like a good bit of people can argue in a calm logical manner. So the negativity will still be there since some people just can't argue in a logical way. Which sucks but not much people can do. :(

• Exactly. Their plan to eliminate most of the negativity was to get rid of the ability to give something a simple thumbs down and then move on... But now they just want us to argue with each other in much more detail instead and probably resort to verbal attacks instead

• That's actually a fair point @Dragonstarterplus

• I agree with all your points. Especially with this: " Since it mostly seemed like people just downvoted because they just hated that person. Or just not that logical to understand or care to understand what that person meant."
    I got so many downvotes because of it.
    I'm glad there are no downvotes anymore. I guess some people are upset because they used to downvote others for no reason. Or simply because they couldn't accept an opinion different than theirs.

• The bullies can't downvote anymore... Now cry like a baby, as they all do when their toy gun is being taken confiscated.

• The troll downvoting was kinda annoying, but when I saw it on my opinions (and everyone else's) I just kinda took if as 'Someone really hates that everyone likes x over x. Wow, what a sad troll.'

I think downvoting allowed us to show people, group animals, the entire group things you're a dumbass.

Whereas now, if the answer is just super stupid, I'm not even going to respond because it would be a waste of typing. Whereas I could have just downvoted.

I think it might increase potential arguments because like you said you either walk on by or speak up. And it's going to be stickier if two people of conflicting view points are voicing them.

I'm all for seeing where this goes. I was pretty upset in the beginning, but I haven't gotten into dirty slinging shit arguments, and I think I respond a fair amount of times to people's answers, so, for me, I don't see a difference.

• Because we like it it was the one of the few sites that gave you a down vote option.. Like I said I love to see my hating fans take time to go a little out of their way to down vote my answer.

• Because some people do not want to man the fuck up and comment on someone else's opinion that they disagree

• I wouldn't care, but it's apparently made people think I care about their opinion and they end up starting an argument over it. No thank you.

• I'm glad tis gone.