Are "how do I look" questions the most insecure thing ever?

Most Helpful Girl

What Guys Said 11

• No, but it's a common insecurity that is part of growing up. When I was 16, I posted a picture of myself on a MySpace forum (Rate the Person Above You) a few times.

We would do pc4pc (picture comments for picture comments) and join Friend Trains that use networks to post updates advertising our profiles, so users could add people on the train knowing you'd grow your friends list. People had thousands of friends, and the majority of them were scene kids.

Then I grew up and got over it. Fast. Teens want to know who they are and where they stand in society, so asking others is a natural way of doing it (it's not effective, but we do it).

I remember getting an 8/10 from a pretty girl out of my league and a 6/10 from a chubby Filipina, which was my first experience dealing with a self-hating Asian girl. At that point I knew this was crap and got over it.

• Some really do have problem seeing how beautiful they really are, but for the most part it's basically just fishing for some compliments and whatnot

• No, it's not like that but yes the questions in that topic tend to be more repetitive in nature

• Are you the most insecure thing because you don't have the confidence to ask other people to tell you honest opinions about your looks because you are scared it might hurt you?

• Nope you are

• Truuuuuuuue

• yeah and the funny thing is no one gives truthful ratings on this site

if you actually want to get rated properly head over to lookism. net

• Nope, some people are generally curious about how they look and need opinions they can't normally get in real life.

Maybe they got a new pair of shoes? Or are trying a new style? Or cut their hair differently?

• They reflect Western civilisation's obsession with the shallow ephemera. But it's a common insecurity with young people. Though how having a complete stranger rate you out of 10 will increase your. onfidence is beyond me.

• yes definitely, most know the answer before they post

• that is 100% not the reason why its insecure

• yeah women worship their looks, its darker and deeper than that.

What Girls Said 7

• nope I might make one! haha! I freak the whole gag community out!

• insecure, attention-seeking, genuine...
    the lines are a bit blurred here

• Totally.

• I think it's insecure when you ask like 10 of them

• sure but some people are insecure, why not try and boost up their confidence instead of bring them down even more.

• Nah, they're the most attention whore thing ever.

• I just don't like not being able to tell who's seriously looking for help and who's just trolling. I don't think I would mind the category if it were easier to figure out who actually needs a little bit of reassurance or advice.