What do you think of the new ability to block more replies on an opinion?

Question askers now have the ability to block additional replies on any opinion posted on their question. What do you think of this? Do you think it's helpful? Do you think it's something the question askers should have control over, or do you think they should need to request that from the moderators?

Personally, I find it very petty and unproductive when people use that function simply to have the last word during a discussion. You can always just stop replying if you want the discussion to end- you don't need to block all replies. And if someone is really being inappropriate or offensive, you can block them or report them. I think this function is nothing more than an ego boost for people who want to think they've won an argument just because they had the power to end it. Which is not an enormous problem, all things considered, but I don't think it's helpful or conducive to a positive environment for communication.

What do you think? Do you think there's a good reason to have this function?

• A. I like this function- I want to be able to have the last word!
  • B. I like this function- I think there are other reasons why it's helpful.
  • C. I'm completely neutral.
  • D. I don't like this function, but I'm not really bothered by it.
  • E. I don't like this function and would prefer not to have it.
  • F. Unsure/ never experienced/ see results
It's not that I care about having the last word so much as I care about being able to see a discussion through, if I'm discussing something that I care about. I enjoy being able to naturally get to the point in a discussion where you both start to actually see where the other person is coming from. That's why it feels frustrating to me when people use this function in an obvious way to simply say "I'm right!" and shut the conversation down.

Most Helpful Guy

• I have heard this new mute thing but have yet to work it out - I would probably only use it if I felt someone was talking too much on my opinion and I didn't want to get involved or those occasion when an conversation starts not related to you on your opinion.

Most Helpful Girl

• I voted F because there was one time where I asked a question and an answerer's response was instantly degrading, rude, and immediately full of drama and negativity. Without saying anything, I just decided to block him because I didn't want to interact with someone like him on a post where I was already in a chaotic emotional state. The post was anonymous because it involved extremely personal details. I guess he decided to add something to his original answer and when he realized he was blocked, he went on a petty, dramatic, butt-hurt tirade literately going to every post and deluding himself about some idea that I couldn't handle his argument when really, his personality was so nasty and bothersome that I just didn't have any desire to engage with him. He was legit harassing me, mocking my situation, and being mean-spirited to make himself feel better about being blocked I suppose. A function like this would have been wonderful since he literately tainted and ruined the entire post.

I also think you sound a bit too pride and ego driven when it comes to who gets the last word or some essentially pointless desire to be able to argue and disagree all day to your heart's content. Not every person is interested in communicating with someone else even if that someone else feels they have a right to communicate and be heard as much as they'd like.

• It's not so much that I need to have the last word as that if I'm discussing something I care about, I want to see the discussion through. I enjoy being able to get to the point with someone where we can actually start to see where the other person is coming from. It's frustrating to be cut off right when I was about to make a point that I felt strongly about. If that's a matter of pride, so be it, but I don't see it that way.

• Asker, were you able to see my comment before it was removed?

• I don't know who you are or what comment you're referring to. I also never said anything about being perpetually frustrated. This isn't the end of the world, I would simply prefer to be able to resolve discussions naturally. Some people aren't going to cooperate with that and that's fine, but I don't feel that this is helpful. That's all.

What Guys Said 2

• I think it's a brilliant idea, they should add that feature, I would support it :D

• Oh yeah!

What Girls Said 6

• What function are you referring to? There's currently no way for a QA to completely block ALL replies on an opinion on their question. A question asker or opinion owner can "mute" the question which will prevent them from receiving notifications for new replies. They can also block individual users which will prevent that particular user from leaving any more replies on the thread.

Or, are you referring to this feature? www.girlsaskguys.com/.../a8060-block-anonymous-users When someone blocks an anonymous Opinion Owner, then that will prevent anyone from leaving a new reply under the opinion. This is not a new feature though and it only happens when the QA block an Anonymous Opinion Owner -or- when a poster blocks an Anonymous QA.

• I'm referring to whatever is happening when you try to leave a reply and it tells you that replies for that opinion have been blocked.

• Refer to the second portion of my response then, that's what happens ONLY when a QA blocks an anonymous opinion owner -or- when an opinion owner blocks an anonymous QA. Outside of these two situations, a QA cannot block *all* replies for an opinion.

• If you're the kind of person who loves having the last word I can see why it's annoying. Personally I use it to shut down unproductive anons who are just there to fight... and on occasion to seriously fuck off the prick who's on my question, but mainly the first. It's their question, I think they should be able to shut people down. A lot of users just want to have arguments and of that isn't what you want you have the right to silence them. The bonus being they are now probably seething at their keyboard getting wound up about shit that doesn't matter.

• I doubt if I will ever use it.

• Very unproductive

• It's fucking annoying

• Unproductive is exactly the word for it.