Should anonymous questioners forfeit the right to block answers?

I think if you are too cowardly to even use an unidentifiable user name, you should lose the right to block people. If you want to troll and block people from saying you're a troll, you should have to identify yourself at least with a user name!

Defenders of anonymous PRIVILEGES to block the identified user are like zionists: what's mine is mine and what's yours is ASSUMED to be negotiable.

They should pay the price for hiding their identity. No one can harass an anonymous person, only disagree with them, so why should the anony care what people say on the thread?

Most Helpful Girl

• But... Trolls have feelings too!

Honestly, I don't really see the point of anon, it's the internet, we're all basically anon already.. why the need for uber top secret stealth mode?

unless you are doing something that would hurt your standing in the "community"

and you know what.. if you're worried about that.. just don't do it.

Most Helpful Guy

• While I can see a real need to go anon on occasion, it seems to be horribly overused and abused on this site. I'd be for anything which discourages its use, even if it means forfeiting the ability to block answers on a question.

What Girls Said 9

• seems legit

• I think that anonymous questions should be allowed, but you forfeit your Xper points when you choose to go anonymous.

• That wouldn't discourage the trolls, they don't care much about points

• I've often suggested anonymous questions should be li, tied to maybe 2 a day. How many questions are really personal or embarrassing?

• Yeah, I agree. They should be limited. I mean, personally, I usually do not even have one question to come up with on any subject every day. I don't know why anyone would have that many personal or embarrassing questions to ask unless they are asking the same thing over and over again.

• I agree 100%

• I think all the people you block (as a regular user) are automatically blocked from answer on any of your questions whether you ask them anonymously or not.
    That is to say, you don't lose user rights by going anonymous and frankly I don't see the point in penalizing people for asking something anonymously... most anonymous users are probably not trolls?

• Why should an anonymous person have the right to block? No one can harass an anonymous person, by definition.

They use blocking only to silence people they disagree with, and why should an anonymous person be able to do that?

• Yes, absolutely

• Lol...

• I agree with you on this one.

• I think we shouldn't block people we ask a question they give their opinion so why block them really? It's dumb

• i agree, but i can see why. if someone answers something really offensive and keeps harassing op or other answerers, then it can be valid. the problem is that most users on here are really sensitive and block people for things as stupid as someone not liking their favorite color

• ''which isn't harassment to normal people.'

• bruh, i don't care. i don't think this site should have anons in the 1st place. it's stupid cause the internet is anonymous unless you decide to make it personal. none of y'all know what i look like or anything.

you're missing the point. you seem to think i give a shit... i don't give a shit and not defending people going anon or their ability to block. i'm saying that i see the function of it and the reason behind it. and it's not disagreeing if someone puts out a personal attack by just saying shit like "you're a f*g", or "i'm gonna kill your babies" and antagonizing the op. in which case, the block option should be necessary cause clearly the person won't let it go. or just for situations to prevent having to listen to dumb opinions. i had a dude try to justify brining back slavery... and he was persistent about it. the issue that comes to play is the fact that the block function gets abused a lot because their feelings get hurt.

• I honestly don't care, sometimes people can be utter pricks on an anons question, I think it's only fair people can block them. People care WAY too much about getting the last word...

• Why shouldn't we be free to say what we want to an anonymous person? You can't harass an un identified troll, and they take advantage of it

• Maybe you shouldn't harass anyone MartyFellow. Not harassing people is a good thing.

• I actually thought that's the way it was! Guess it's time for me to try going anon so I know what's up!

• I think they can block an entire opinion from being commented on.

• @Mesonfielde All they have to do is block the opinions of people who disagree with them, one by one. They can't block all the answers at once..

• Yes. Only bc it isn't fair if you can't do certain things as an anon commenter. Then if you're an anon asker to me that means you really shouldn't care what anyone has to answer on your thread.

What Guys Said 5

• I think GAG should make it so you can't post questions on anon. So if you say something about men or women you have to admit to who you are. The only topics that you should be aloud to post anon questions on should be "sexual behaviour" and "sexual health" and if you post anything that is not a sexual related question in those topics it should be moved by mods and admins to the correct topic and your identity should be shown. If you are going to post questions on here you should have to show who you are, excluding in sexual questions.

• I agree, but no way is that going to happen.. But at least the anony trolls shouldn't be allowed to silence their critics... they can do that now.

• Yes, they can silence their BS now. If you have something to say then have the guts to put your name to it I feel.

• Yeah, they gotta get rid of that. It allows trolls to run rampant through GAG.

• I very rarely go anon myself--normally so I can say something without sounding like I'm bragging--but I never block. I only ever find out about blocking when I'm trying to pay a compliment to someone about a great opinion, and a message pops up saying I can't. . . because they blocked me! And normally I have no clue who they are.

There is too much anon on GAG, like ridiculously so. Anon questions and opinions which are totally innocuous and run of the mill. It's a bit strange.

• What's the issue with anon? Aside your feelings being hurt by an unknown person over the web. So what if you're blocked...

• What's the issue with them blocking people? If they are anonymous why shouldn't we be free to tell them they are trolls?

• An appeal to popularity doesn't make your argument any bit stronger.

• Not all of us are contemptuous of other people's opinions and hide behind anonymous status to put them down

I hot is no doubt a name we rarely see.

• probably