What do you prefer to call it when you disagree with an Opinion?

Hey GAGers! Many of you have posted over the past several weeks your feedback on the removal of the down vote feature. Well, we listened and we're bringing it back!

Now we want to know, what do you prefer to call it when you don't agree or like someone's Opinion here on G@G? Vote in the poll and tell us what you think! If you want to call it something else, feel free to let us know in your opinion below :)

• Dislike
  • Thumbs down
  • Disagree

Most Helpful Girl

• Disagree. But then you'd have to change the "like" to "agree". And I think that would fit better anyways since we're all just sharing our opinions on here and you can either agree or disagree with them. "Like" is too facebook-y and doesn't really fit with the site in general since gag revolves purely around posting opinions.

• "Dislike" and "thumbs down" are a bit too negative/aggressive. You can disagree with someone without disliking them or otherwise feeling negative feelings towards them.

• I agree with you and if there was a button for it, I would use it right now. I prefer knowing if people agree or disagree with me. I am not interested in those who like or dislike my comment. If I am rude, I don't care if you think I am and a downvote is therefore useless. I want to know what you think about what I said, not how I said it.

Most Helpful Guy

• Accidentally voted C

I don't just say "disagree" or something. I give them proper explanation. And if they don't listen I give them an advice.
    clutchwiggleexp.files.wordpress.com/.../...6_n.jpg
    _____________________________________

Back to the question. I think this question is vague. You asked about what do we prefer to call it when we disagree and people like me Voted C without reading description.

I strictly advise you to make them just upvote/downvote, because that was what we loved. And it is professional if you stick with the symmetry. If you are currently using "like", then you should use "dislike". I don't think "thumbs up" has a long run (as users aren't quite happy with current layout) and "disagree" is asymmetrical with "like". You may "disagree" with an opinion but still, you could "like" the input.

But upvote and downvote are completely polar. Either you push it up or down.

Good luck G@G team :)

• And you may "dislike" the opinion (bitter truth), but you may "agree" with it.

So, it will make more and more confusion. Simple up/downs are more than enough. And you know, they were doing their job brilliantly for all those years :)

What Girls Said 51

• I literally could not care less what it's called, but I'd suggest calling it something other than the thumbs down since the formatting has been changed multiple times.

• How about be a little more truthful..

and call it "You're a fucking moron"

cause.. that is what most people are thinking when they hit it.

• That would actually be cool. Then it's impossible to take seriously.

• I could settle with any of these

You're a fucking moron
      Jackwad
      Screw you
      Go back under your bridge, troll, button

• What's wrong with Downvote? That's what we all call it anyway... does it need a name? Will it not just be a button?

• Glad to hear it's coming back though, I think people find it useful knowing how others feel about it, at least it's less Molly-coddling than just being able to Like.

• I guess "dislike." Downvoting another person's opinion because you disagree is really thoughtless. It should be okay if other people don't agree and have different opinions, as long as they presented their opinion in a respectful way.

• Dislike is more of a judgment though. I wouldn't dislike an opinions which is clearly arguments, while I could stil' disagree with it. I feel like disagree is more neutral, whilst dislike is highly negative. It really depends on the post I guess...

• maybe have 2 buttons on the negative side one for just disagreeing and the other if you dislike what they said. The latter would be reserved for assholes.

• @Hwlsop that sounds like an idea. Allows for showing you disagree with a statement without having to repeat arguments others may have made against it already, while reserving the dislike button for the "rude" and other negative reasons. With a bit of luck it might combat the interchangeable use of the previous dislike button to boot, making a distinction between the two things.

• To me, disagree doesn't really fit the bill, because anyone can disagree with someone, but not dislike their comment because disagreement is part of having an opinion. Dislike is more to the point of someone posting something crass, inappropriate, or frankly, not on topic.

• Very good point, I should've read this before going for "disagree" (I never used the downvote before, but) "downvoting" an inappropriate or otherwise "bad" post makes much more sense than doing so on something you simply don't agree with, although it is often enough used by people who mean to imply a disagreement in my experience.

• Well As much as you said Disagree is an opinion, you disliking their point because you feel that it is crass, inappropriate or frankly not on topic, is your opinion, not trying to "Dislike" what you said, I just disagree with the statement you were making because I think it would make more sense in my opinion.

• Disagree is definitely the more respectful term, but looking back, I only downvoted opinions I actually disliked. Most of them were ones I disagreed with, sure, but many were from users I did agree with but who opined like hateful assholes. Users I straight disagreed with would get no vote either way.

• "Disagree" won't make sence for every question/opinion so I think "Dislike" or "thumbs down" is better. They're more general and since "dislike" is already the opposite of "like" (which is already in place) it'll make more sence.

• I think "disagree" works... because you can't disagree with an opinion but not necessarily dislike it.

I think it helps conversations become more constructive when people realize that it's okay to disagree... whereas "dislike or thumbs down" tends to feel more like a personal attack to some people.

• In my ace attorney tone *OBJECTION!*
    http://objection.mrdictionary.net/go.php?n=8170216

Which with a question I did. I had people that agreed that would be awesome. ^^
    www.girlsaskguys.com/.../q1880622-should-gag-have-changed-downvotes-to-objections

• We ought to rename the up-vote "I second the notion"

• @BaileyisDarcy That or like I told the other dude either maybe "agree" or "concur."So then upvote would change to Agree/Concur and downvote would change to Objection.

• Sounds good to me.

• Disagree.

I don't care if the words aren't exact opposites.

Sure, we all know the giant douches who write the terrible answers that get 10 or more dislikes because everyone dislikes what they just read. But then there are people who are just in the wrong question with the wrong users.

Dislike is too strong, not everything that I dislike to I have a really negative outlook on.

Thumbs down could work.

But I prefer disagree.

• Glad to hear is gonna be back.

I prefer downvote, call it downvote.

• Upvote and downvote are better. "Likes" seem too Facebook-ish.

• I don't care what you guys call it. I'm just glad that you've actually listened to the community for once.

• I don't care call it whatever. But don't bring it back. It only creates negativity!

• In lieu of an actual down-vote, i hope you accept the following as a simple response to your ideal:
      V

• If you say so

• Negativity isn't always a bad thing, though, but downvotes are definitely too simplified and don't show *why* someone disagreed or disliked it, which is vital to having a productive conversation

• "Disagree" is More Appropriate.
    I Personally do Not Care for even the "Down vote" Button, for it Gives Others GAGGERS More of a Reason to Hide Out in Being and Remaining Anonymous here. xx

• "Moronic troll response " button.

• Like - Dislike
    Thumbs up. Thumbs down
    Agree - Disagree

• Cool, I support the decision to bring it back, as for the name, it should be opposite of like - dislike, but if you change the name of like, it can be agree / disagree, or thumbs up / thumbs down :)

• i'm disappointed in you

• i'm ok with like button getting removed entirely... if someone wants to hate or give props make them at least write out a something of substance

• @pavlove Yeah, but some people are too lazy to write all the details...

• Yay.. it's coming back...

• Don't give them names. In this age of emojis just go with a smiley face and an unhappy one.

• Like you said down vote. I prefer what we called it originally.

If it was never removed we would still be calling it down vote so why even consider changing it now?

#DownVote #ThumbsDown #👎

• Um whichever I guess, just glad to hear you guys are bringing it back

• Since its like, dislike looks most balanced next to it

• Very impressed with GAG!

• "People who think they're smarter than you."

• I'm doing a little happy dance! Either of those but not thumbs down.

• If the current positive button is called "Like", then its negative counterpart should be "Dislike".

• disagree

• Thumbs down seems general enough that you can interpret it as dislike or disagree. If you have disagree, it might dissuade someone who simply "dislikes" a comment from expressing their view.

• More from Girls
    21

What Guys Said 54

• http://i.imgur.com/IoJhIim.gif?noredirect
    http://i.imgur.com/WytZsN3.gif
    i215.photobucket.com/.../kxxkCwtGgqaiFoj.gif
    http://i.imgur.com/2XHig30.jpg
    Thank you very much kind GAG Gods :D
    Personally, I'd like it to be "dislike", but I'm not too picky as to what it's called, as long as it's there :)

• "Disagree" is very to-the-point. Something about the post rubs me the wrong way. "Agree" means I agree with the message of the post, even if I don't like the implications.

"Dislike" is a bit more ambiguous. I could agree that a story about a brutal rape-murder needs to be shared, as it destroys some politician's narrative. At the same time, I could find the killer's act revolting, and find it horrible that it took something like that to prove the politician wrong. If I hit dislike, am I disliking the crime, or the post exposing the implications of the crime politically speaking?

If I hit "Disagree" on a story like that, it means I suspect the article writer isn't being entirely truthful. If I hit "Dislike," it's hard to say why.

If I hit "Agree," then I'm saying "yes, spread this around, even though it's tragic." If I hit "Like," am I liking the horrific event, or am I liking that someone is speaking out about the implications it bears?

Thumbs up or down is just as ambiguous as the "Like" and "Dislike" features.

This argument of semantics is a large part of the reason that many continue to wonder where the dislike button is on Facebook, as the word "Like" carries such ambiguity.

Then again, Facebook was originally invented for college students on specific campuses to be able to coordinate events with each other. It was never intended back then to become a major source of independent news sharing.

• I think you should bring bad thumbs down, AND add a few more features:
    1) the ability to thumbs up/thumb down replies to comments
    2) the ability for people to challenge being reported, or even being blocked. disagreement, and explaining why you disagree, might be harassment at times, but it might not be at other times, and should not be treated like it is.
    3) a reader MHO option, where other commentors can pick what they think is the MHO (can't pick their own). Whatever comment has the most picks is listed along with asker's MHO (which means it can change as other people read/vote)
    4) a "disagree" button. Just because I disagree does not mean I dislike. I might respect an opinion, but still think it is wrong. thumbing down such an opinion seems like the wrong way to go, so a "disagree" button could be used for comments where you appreciate the point someone is trying to make, but you think they're off the mark. people can pick it, or a thumbs down. not both.

• We couldnt downvote or upvote replies on comments, because it would screw up their order.
      Unless we had it not affect the order.

• @NedfromtheNed i would simply have it not effect order, then.
      do it like a youtube comment thread. every reply to an initial comment can be thumbed up or down, but it does not effect the order the replies are shown in. everything is still chronological.

• Betas n Bitches that are jealous and pissy lol
    Let's call it that

• Oii~~ can I just say something then? Not sure if someone else said it because I haven't checked other comments, but if we're going to name it "disagree" can we not name the like button "agree" then?

• Thumbs down won't do because sooner or later the thumbs will be changed to arrows and then to thumbs and then to arrows again.

Dosagree won't do either because it wouldn't be true in a cases - some people downvote dimply because.

Dislike is true to itself.

• Well this was my cue. I won't deactivate my account but I can hear my exit music.

If downvotes were non-anonymous, fine, but I see no indication here that they'll be named.

Funny thing about the rhetoric in favor of downvoting was that I have yet to read an argument which was actually coherent, let alone compelling or admirable. But then again, why bother to articulate a coherent argument in support of something which itself obviates coherent argument?

Take care y'all.

• thumbs down doesn't sound too great but its probably the better one.

one can dislike an opinion, but not totally disagree with it as well.

i vote for another name other than the 3 listed here.

• I would go with disagree.

Dislike just seems kind of in your face and may be deemed as being you dislike the person, and not just their opinion. That seems a little harsh to me.

Thumbs down is similar to "Dislike", it come off as though you are giving the person the thumbs down, it seems more personal.

If you are going to do it right though, I think if a person disagrees they should provide a good alternative opinion. They should not just hit a button, and someone anonymous should not be allowed to check it. For us to grow/learn, and take constructive criticism the person should have to say why they disagree with.

That way it does not become a way of clicking the button a bunch of times because you are in a pissy mood... but more of a way of prompting good discussions on GAG. The last thing it should be is a tool to gang up on a person and put them down for anything they have said on here... the school yard crap stays in the school yard!

• Well if it has to come back guess thumbs down will be more appropriate against the thumbs up for like :)

Ah all my friends at GAG sure will be happy especially those that vigorously campaigned for it lol

Vote 'B'

• D**N IT!
    Just when i was pulling out my own version.
    "In-lieu of an actual down-vote, i hope this will suffice. V "
    ___________________________________
    In all seriousness, i think we ought to call it the "go to hell" button.
    But thats just a suggestion.

• This site is incredibly short sighted. Yes, some people will leave who've been here since ancient times because clearly their prime reason for being here is telling others who didn't ask that they don't approve of their opinions.

But what you don't realize is that new users will come to the site constantly and they will not need a downvote button. **** I'd say just get rid of the like feature entirely and let it be about the opinions themselves rather than the approval of it.

• and PLEASE do a poll of who wants the downvote button back I would bet a trillion dollars its GIRLS way more than guys... so many girls on here have nothing clever to say but love to feed off of other people's actions as where the guys on here are much more independent and so a collective downvote feature is like whatever. Girls run this ******** site

• I think "agree" and "disagree" make the most sense with the format of this site.

• I like "disagree" more than "dislike", but if you call the positive button "Like", then the opposite of that is "Dislike".

• Dislike and Thumbs down are now impossible on G@g , calling it idiot is beyond my standards, thus I can only disagree.

• Disagree seems less personal and more flexible so it gets my vote. :)

Thumbs down would be nonsensical if/when the format is changed again and dislike is more personal than disagree.

• thumbs down seems simple enough

• Honestly "down vote" is perfectly fine by me

• Disagree sounds like a non-hurting name for it, so as so far the poll suggests, it would be the best option :D

• Call it "dislike ", because the positive counterpart is called the "like" button!

Thanks for bringing the downvote back! The "let's see if the lack of a downvote button changes the culture of GaG " was at least worth a try. 😜

• D. for people who have too much time on their hands.

• We like so this would be dislike.

• disagree is sufficient, but it would be nice if a comment was required for the 'disagree' to count.

• Oh please don't bring it back, it will only bring negative to GAG, not good for everyone. I hope it remove removal forever!

• I suggest "hate" because of the "like" button. They are antonyms and that makes the most sense to me.

• the wording doesn't matter as much as the fact as bringing it back. but i suggest you not say "like"/"dislike" cause it just sounds like a facebook knockoff. just call it an up/down vote (arrows) or thumbs up/down (thumbs)

• Are you going to make it where if it gets a lot of negatives it will be removed? I think a few should be just like when they get insulting/offensive.

• "I don't want to see this" button should be

• This is biased!!!
    You used one of the options in the question itself :(

• More from Guys
    24