Does anyone else feel that closing questions will make it harder to get good answers and cause people to have to ask the same question repeatedly?

• yes
  • no
I do think being able to close a question ourselves once we've gotten all we want is good, but as it is now, it just doesn't make sense.
more than half my feed has questions that are closed. what's the point?

Most Helpful Guy

• I absolutely HATE the automatic "closing" of questions.

The option to close questions is fine, but don't AUTOMATICALLY do it! Allow us to make the choice. :-D

Most Helpful Girl

• This part of the update really makes no sense to me. They have the live but that's full of old questions now so they have the notifications which is supposed to be the new live feed? But don't worry it's full of so much garbage that you probaly won't get to answer a question before it closes.

SUPET EFFECTIVE AND CLEAR

What Guys Said 13

• Closing the questions makes no sense. Sometimes people like to answer any question whether it's new or old. I have had people answer many of my old questions and I have done the same. Closing questions puts a time limit now on everything.

#StopClosingQuestions

• a time limit which is funny considering how slow the site it.

• Yes that is so true. It is very funny. Well see if locking questions lasts long. I hope it doesn't. I guess it's suppose to motivate us to answer new questions and ask new questions. Thanks for the upvote.

• I suppose it disincentives people to choose MHOs prematurely, but for a question to be closed out after only 48 hours of inactivity is just insane. There are some very good questions which get posted here which rarely receive answers. Then you have a cycle of the same old crap being posted over and over which gets 90% of all the answers. So that's the crap we're going to keep seeing. Strap in and get used to it folks. It's looking like a downhill ride for GAG. :-(

• plus, sometimes a question hasn't gotten a new opinion in days but for whatever reason you suddenly notice it and it's a great question you'd like to answer. now we won't be able to. :/

• exactly. I love when that happened on my own questions.

• Oh, this just takes the cake. I just tried to respond to a question with a very thorough, detailed response, and apparently while I was in the process of typing the response, the asker chose MHOs which closed the question. So when I clicked on Submit, I was greeted with "This question is closed." and my reply fell off the face of the damn earth! Seriously, GAG, WTF? #GetGAGBack, now!

• I have never understood why people who ask questions select MHGuy and MHGal so quickly. If ten people are going to answer a question, all within one day, how does the question asker feel that the second one is the best before seeing the other eight? I have seen them comment that they wold give an opinion the MHO if they had not already done so with another opinion. So they selected an opinion that was of less quality than the real best one, and now with the questions getting closed by selection of MHO, they will never even get a chance to see the better opinions. At least with this change, maybe those askers will wise up and stop selecting the best after only getting a couple of answers.

• even if more askers become more patient, if the question becomes inactive it'll be closed before they can get a good opinion. a lot of the time I don't even see questions until days after everyone else stopped commenting on it.

• I feel that Question Closing was the dumbest update added

Obviously they should be closed at some point, but after the MHO is way too soon

Maybe 48 hours of inactivity

• Probably not, if people don't preemtively pick MHO it won't get closed..
    It also only closes by itself if it is inactive for 24hours, so if people reply, it won't close.

What I'm not sure of though, is if update you make, counts against inactivity.

• I tend to notice questions days after they were asked and would still like the option to leave an opinion even if it's gotten mho already. it's not only about who gets mho. or so I was lead to believe anyway.

• Exactly how I feel, but I'm willing to give it a chance.

• OMG YES, why admins made G@G less productive/useful is beyond me

• Stupid update that made this site worse not better

• I hadn't thought of that but you're probably right.
    I think they should auto close after a time like the auto MHO if you don't pick one yourself but I don't like the current 48 hour or MHO pick closing them.

• yes they try to save room on their servers but screwed the community...

• it would have made more sense to just remove questions with no opinions after a certain number of days, or weeks. instead there still there unable to be posted on. absolutely pointless.

• exactly!

• I agree with OP.

• Half the questions are already the exact same thing, I don't think the closing them will really influence that.

However, closing the questions is annoying for a vast amount of other reasons.

• Oh yeah man... not everyone logs in daily... and 48 hours are nothing...1 month or so'd be more rational...

1 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more

What Girls Said 6

• For sure it will. This was not a well-considered move.

• it's definitely the worst change they've come up with so far

• Closed questions shouldn't come up in the feed or something. How pointless otherwise.

• Yes it's a terrible idea. Closing your own question would be great.

• Yes.

• I dont get the close thing because some guy just answered one of my questions from 2 months ago?

• after the update?

• No its an old question with a new opinion. Maybe they posted it before the update occurred (im just now checking my opinion feed) but its definitely new, and the question is super old (and says "closed").

• @TripleAce well even that is just dumb.

• I agree with you. Plus it won't help with the questions that aren't getting comment either.

• that's the worst part of it. there's tons of questions that are closed with zero opinions. I actually tend to not even notice a lot of them until days after they were asked. they should have worked on making questions more visible than putting time limits on them.

• yes, it's stupid