Does private opinions defeat the purpose of mods?

How are we supposed to moderate opinions that we cannot see? If hey want to private message each other, can't they just PM each other? Now it's on the asker to report the opinion. :/ It just seems redundant.

Also, why does it say "1 private opinion (s) on this question" if we can't click it and see it! It's just tempting me to want to know what it says. 😬

Most Helpful Guy

• Ooooo great call. Just like the other one when someone asked what was the point of having featured questions when they are already closed. These kind of things only prove these changes weren't really thought through. Anyways, it seems we're much less relevant at this point? Maybe they'll eventually remove the mod title or smth

I don't know, as I said before removing the downvote option was pretty dumb and now is going back. Most of the changes seem pointless too, and I'm sure the site is also going to take a hit after this.

Most Helpful Girl

• No. Mods can and should still flag content they see that violates the guidelines. If a Private Opinion is breaking any of the rules, the Question Asker should report it so admins will be notified. Not all opinions on the site are going to be private so moderators should continue flagging the content they do see that violates the posting guidelines.

What Guys Said 10

• If everyone uses private opinions, moderators become redundant. The whole ethos of GAG goes out of the window.

Another ill thought out update, just to keep the web designers occupied and cost GAG money!

• Hehe! I want to report these two private opinions as invisible, therefore "nonsense" under the rules!!

• Very true that!

• If you are following someone there private answer shows up in their summary on their profile. For example I know who one of the private opinion owners on this question is. That's how I ended up here. They definitely don't think shit out on this site.

• I think it is stupid because now we can not comment on someone else's opinion on a question with the private opinion option selected. I for one will not be leaving an opinion on a question If the private opinion option is selected at the same time the question was asked or before I was able to see all opinions. I for one like to read other people's opinions.

• The new changes are shite, we all know it.

• It's up to the asker to report those opinions I think.

• It's a good way to privately harass the shit out of anonymous people.

• I doubt most poeple use private function... but damn it.,... how can I ask new questions now?

How can I close them? I clicked mute... but still...

• Do you have any open questions for which you haven't yet selected a MHO? If so, do that and it will close the question out for you and open up a slot for you to ask a new one. Since you are anonymous, I can't tell what level you are at so I could tell how many questions you can have open at once.

• Then it should have been closed and opened up a new slot for you. Lots of new "features" often bring lots of new bugs. Bring the issue up with the admins here: http://www.girlsaskguys.com/contact

• @VirginiaBeachBum Nah fuck it... I don't contact anyone...

2 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more

What Girls Said 8

• It seems like it. And unlike mods, who probably know the posting not-to-do's by heart, askers may not really know that stuff as well. So a lot of things can go left unchecked now :/

• If you've looked at the Feed at the top of the page, there's a tab to view "Reported Posts" That shows us how little people actually know about the guidelines.

• @dogbert444 So that other people can help report them if needed, or as a moderator, we can hide them from sensitive eyes.

• @Aizou That makes the pleasure of GAG even less, if we are just going to spend all our time here ACTIVELY looking for things to report/hide.

• Yeah, basically. Which proves again that @GirlsAskGuys cares not a whit for the safety of the userbase.

• I agree, that update is so beyond stupid. Great way for pervs to perv even more.

• Yeah, that is one thing I've questioned as well. You take away comments that may need to be removed potentially.

• Good point. So glad I'm not a mod anymore with these changes.

• I would think so. Now the trolls can harass with impunity.

• Most mods are bloody useless anyway, they break the rules and nothing is ever done about it. By the way, I'm not talking about you or any of the mods who have already posted on this question.

• I've seen a very few do that. Most of them actually seem to take their responsibility seriously.

• That's probably the case. And three mods are hardly "most" mods.

• @VirginiaBeachBum They're not the only ones though, those are only the repeated offenders that I always come across.

1 private opinion(s)