Second worst update ever?

The first being when they took the downvote away?

Lets see, buggy notification system, the notifications that do work spam you with useless info, you are forced to pick a mho in order to ask other questions, thus rushing you to pick one even if you didn't recieve a satisfactory answer yet, not to mention after a measly 48hrs, no one else is allowed to comment, thus making you chose a mho, even if you really haven't found a satisfactory answer yet.

Its almost as if it was designed to increase the quantitative helpfulness, aka mhos, as opposed to helping people get a qualitative answer, aka one that actually answers thier question.

• Yes! Second worst update ever!
  • No! This is worse than when they took away the downvote! Worst update ever!
  • Meh... its ok... I guess... sort of
  • I love the update! Being forced to chose an mho among a bunch of trolls, just because, brilliant! Not to mention I love how buggy it is!
I'd love to hear from more people, but sadly, I need to ask another question about this crappy update, and I need to "close a question" in order to do that. Seriously who comes up with this crap?

Most Helpful Girl

• The closed question thing is an okay idea, but 48 hours is way too short, it should be at least a week.

I absolutely detest the introduction of private opinions though. Horrible idea.

The only thing I'm even remotely fond of is the option to edit notification preferences.

Most Helpful Guy

• The worst update was when they combined the multiple feeds into one.

When I started on GaG, I only looked at My Feed. I never bothered with the site feed or the current activity feed. The site feed had questions I did not care about. The current activity feed was too dynamic.

Here was my normal usage pattern, I would get on GaG and scroll back to where I left off. I would do this even if I had been off of GaG for 3 days. That way I never missed a question. I would skip over most of them but I would reply to those that piqued my interest.

Once the GaG programmers started including all the activity for a question in the feed, this approach became all but impossible. Currently, I have been relying on other users to bring interesting topics to my attention. Now the GaG programmers have made it so when that happens, the question will likely have already been closed. No more time to consider a thoughtful reply. It's vomit out whatever pops into my head immediately or don't reply at all.

It's like the GaG programmers are trying to chase me away to Quora, Yahoo Answers or some other online forum.

I don't get it at all.

• Not to mention the other side of the equation. Askers must hurry up and pick a mho, in order to ask another question, even if nothing really satisfies them, its only been a few days and I have already had to do this, not to mention inactivity after two days means that unless your question gets promoted or featured you will most likely see it closed before anyone can give you a satisfactory answer.

• And so the same question has to be asked over and over and over again. Useless upgrade.

Here's another perspective:

The contribution of which I am the most proud, the one that justifies my time on GaG, is a question where I was the only person that wrote an opinion.

I was helping a woman deal with her boyfriend's depression. I was able to help her by speaking from my own experiences. My wife also contributed to the opinion comments, but did not write her own opinion.

On the GaG of today, if I did not see this question AS IT WAS POSTED, I would never encounter it. Sad that a woman needing real help today would not be likely to find it lost among the "rate me", "penis size" & "feminism wth?" questions.

• Thanks for the MHO.

What Girls Said 8

• Is it just me or is anyone else NOT receiving notifications? smh

Maybe, just MAYBE they will learn to LEAVE WELL ALONE.

As the saying goes.. IF IT AIN'T BROKE DON'T FIX IT.

• You can change the notifications you are receiving under your Settings page. However, many of us aren't receiving notifications at all still. Mine worked for a bit and now nothing again. The hype will die down, but there are some things that need to be worked on at the moment.

• What aren't you receiving notifications for?

• I am personally not receiving notifications for people answering my questions, and yes it is checked that I want to receive them.

• Yeah, you're not the only one with that issue. It's still buggy.

• I think the time limit is worse than when they took the downvotes away. If they're trying to save space on their servers, why not start with closing questions from more than three months ago, so you don't get random creepers going through all your old shit to harass you.

• We're closing questions after 48 hours of *inactivity*, which means 48 hours of no new opinions, new replies or new poll votes. The time limit isn't absolute. ;)

• @DiogoRibeiro Here's an update idea that would actually be useful. Let anonymous askers tag people on their own question so that someone else doesn't have to tag for them ;)

• @DiogoRibeiro yes I get your reasoning a bit behind that for closing them.. but a lot of people that love this site have other things on their plate and may not get back to this site within the 48 hours.. and when they do.. they see a post for the first time and want to comment and leave their opinion on it.. but because they did not see it in time they see.. it is now closed

• https://web.archive.org/web/*/girlsaskguys.com

See that huge dip in 2015? That's when they took away comments to comments from the livefeed. This caused a decrease in interesting threads and the overall number of opinions people got. I thought that was the worst.

But they out did themselves with this update.

• Hey we are almost back at the same level as that dip. Maybe the admins want to set a record!

• Man, party in 2013. You'd think they'd finish the year strong with all the kids on winter break but I guess not.

• @BellePepper - Yeah, I don't know what happened since the site didn't change layout until 2014. But I'm glad I didn't miss out on the party, lol. Been here since 2013.

• Second worst no it's the worst!

• Nope, not the second, this is the worst update ever :(

• No this one is worse.

• Nah, it's the third worst update ever. The first one was removing the downvote button, the second one was introducing the "How Do I Look" category.

What Guys Said 12

• Yes, I am also receiving lot of notification since the last update, something that I don't really need to know. To be honest at least I can see no logic in this update.

• No this is worse

• The downvote being taken away was a minor glitch compared to this crap for mine

• I just strongly dislike the closed question system.. I only use the Live Feed so half the questions I click on now are closed. I think they wanted people to answer more questions but I actually answer less now lol

• This is WAY worse than taking away the downvote. That only removed one small feature. This update fundamentally changed the way the site works. And not in a good way. I can understand why they wanted to make the changes, but there are these things called unintended consequences.

• It's definitely worse

• Honestly, the worst thing that gets to me. Is that freaking GirlsAskGuys-System that keeps messaging me EVERYDAY to tell me that I posted 20 opinions. Like I freaking know dude!! And I can't even block the douche...

• It speeds up the answers: everyone is going to try to answer before the MHO is chosen.

• It increases the number of mhos chosen, a quantitative solution. That doesn't meant that the asker found a satisfactory answer to their question. Just they were forced to arbitrarily pick a random answer.

• Asker,
      Indeed.

• The questions are closed whenever you choose an MHO - or - after 48 hours of *inactivity* (no new opinions, replies or poll votes).

So, if your question is getting opinions, it won't be closed automatically after only 48 hours. ;)

• This is the down fall of gag

• Not second... but WORST update so far...

Anyway they promised they're gonna bring downvotes back... don't worry about it...

• Yes I agree, totally useless. And oh, even I am not able to ask questions since it was last updated.
    Whta so they want? Why can't I ask? What to do?