How many people want downvoting back?

Sure a few people complain, but we who supported getting rid of it aren't represented.

• I like downvoting
  • I'm glad it's gone
It looks like a small majority wants it back, but I would bet the people who want it back are more likely to answer this question and vote than those of us who are glad it's gone
70-40 for bringing it back, but again, the troll down voters are likely to rush to answer this question, while those who are glad it's gone are much less motivated to answer this question and vote

Most Helpful Girl

• Racism sexism bigotry should be rejected. a lot of people don't feel like writing back to this kind of thing but they'll down vote... with the down vote gone people don't get reminded they are being inappropriate. course the down vote did get abused and people saying reasonable things build get attacked arbitrarily, while anyone who cold benefit from it won't care. I guess i just would prefer people to speak out against bullshit more. Or , in many cases, at all lol

i voted i want it back,. but ultimately down vote issueless. and gives false sense of having taken action. an anonymous illusion i suppose.

Most Helpful Guy

• The problem with downvoting is that mobs that don't like you for you will stalk you and downvote just to attack, and not based on the merits of what you post. Sockpuppets who astroturf their accounts to cyberstalk a chosen victim are especially emboldened by the ability to this, and it became a huge problem for me when one asshole on AmIRight decided he didn't like a song that I made.

He sockpuppeted as a dozen different users and began attacking all my submissions, significantly lowering my scores and ruining things for others who may have wished to enjoy my work. The admins would do nothing about this onslaught.

This was weeks after dealing with vandalism on my Wikia pages as well, of a similar nature. Bully mobs should be forced to identify themselves, not snipe from the bushes and take cheap shots. Downvoting gives troublemakers too much power.

I may be accustomed to some abuse, but there are kids on this site driven to suicide ideation by some of the abuse that gets heaped on them. Downvoting gives those who would love to spread that kind of malice on children an extra means of doing so.

And those who do intentionally drive kids to think that way, I'd like to trace their IP all the way to their street address and have the local sheriff knock on their door and start asking them questions. See how they like the heat!

It's a tough call, but I say keep downvoting gone. Too many abuse the privilege.

What Girls Said 21

• I like the downvote and honestly this whole site sucks after the new updates. Might be leaving.

• You & me both.

• I just logged on after being off for a few days and I come to have 43 notifications. Like wtf. I don't like this new thing of anytime someone that follows you or you follow you get a notification.

• Some people are dumb as hell and I wish I could comment and dislike their stuff

• Apparently they are bringing it back.

• I want to stop seeing all the stupid arguments so I want it back

• I do want it back. It's what makes the world a better place.

• I'd be down voting this 😹😹
    Yea I want it back

• I want it back, because some opinions really need to get downvoted.

• If they change downvoting name to Objection. Then I will downvote more since I would want to show my disagreement more. Before I wouldn't downvote even if I didn't agree.

• Nope I am glad its gone!

• i'm indifferent. But some people deserve to be down-voted so yeah, why not...

• Glad it is Gone, I like "LIKE" Better, @martyfellow
    Good luck. xx

• It should never have left. It did no more harm than the 'Like' button does

• Allowing a like but not a dislike strikes be as fostering dishonesty and echo chamber syndrome.

• Marty how can you call 60% a small majority?

• I want it back lol

• It would seem the majority like the downvote.

• 25-18 at this point, but I bet the people wanting down votes are often people who make NO positive contributions, just troll and downvote

• And I bet those people rush to vote, while those on my side are less likely to cast votes

• The voting ended 75-40 looks like more then a small majority.
      As for the question I'm indifferent to it.
      But if GAG lets you up vote you should have the option to down vote to or else get rid of both.

• I'm glad it's gone I didn't like the downvoting

• I wonder when it comes back... then how many downvotes i will get! :)

• wish it never comes back. the dumbest thing ever created on a forum.

2 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more

What Guys Said 15

• Aparentlly you are represented because they got rid of it.
    This site is becoming a platform where people can safely ask questions and receive the answers they were hoping for, from similarly minded people without challenge to precondeved notions, ignorance or naïveté.
    In trying to create a platform which is a 'positive place only' for those too timid to handle criticism, intellectual challenge or idiots, they are thinning the very usefulness and value this site potentially has. But in the end this is ALL about advertising and essentially the quality of experiance matters not, because the user matters not, to those who make money off of us.
    In the end we will end up with a fluffy site, where 13 year old girls can come get the answer they wanted (usually not the one she needed) and there will be no disagreements, negative feedback or the spreading and descussion of new ideas to offend her delicate sensibilities.

• Catering to anonymous downvoting trolls dos seem to be the reason for bringing it back, mane the bulk of these are the 13 year olds. Maybe what you are seeing is inevitable given that the site has NO real minimum age limit any longer.

Why advertisers would be interested in a site dominated by 13 year olds, aside from maybe teen fashion or music purveyors, is beyond me.

• I like downvoting.

• While it is true I have been a member on this site for a while, the up-voting, while nice and down voting doesn't really seem to affect me all that much. I suspect I will continue to stay a member regardless.

• I'd like to have it back, but with the updates which were unleashed here yesterday, we have way too many cluterfucks to work out now than worrying about downvotes. Which means downvotes will probably get priority over fixing the mess they created with the question closing and private options on questions nonsense.

• I miss it, takes away an opinion choice in my eyes.

• I want the downvoting back!

• Good riddance. I'm glad it's gone.

• Upvote indicates you agree with a person

Downvote indicates you disagree but aren't strong enough to say why

• Pretty sure it was coming back.

• I think they should bring it back.

• Downvoting is for cowards. Real lads comment.

• No, I don't think so

• It doesn't matter to me. It's irrelevant either way.

• I use my downvotes sparingly but I do feel I should have that option available.

• I don't care if it's gone or comes back.