Is the advice of people who have no experience in a particular area useful?

For example, if a person has never dated or had any positive or negative interactions with their gender of preference, would you take their point of view seriously? Especially if that person claims to know *everything* about their gender of preference? Please discuss.

• No, they have no idea what they're talking about. Best to ignore it.
  • Yes, they could be a naturally perceptive person
  • It rather depends on the nature of their advice.

Most Helpful Guy

• I have no idea, so I'm gonna say yes

• Solid plan!

• And one got terrible beard rash on their neck and was itchy for days afterwards.

• Ya, I still have Vietnam-style flashbacks over that... Everything is all blurry and slow motion, and I get this "oh I know what to say!" look on my face, and there's this little funny guy running down a long, *long* hallway to tell me not to say it (who I think represents my common sense), but he doesn't get there in time, and then I snap back to reality in a cold sweat...

Most Helpful Girl

• Yes but only on sitcom television
    For comedy sake

What Guys Said 10

• I've never dated anyone. (Granted, I've interacted with girls on a general level at the very least before hahaha)

I would say a lot of it depends. For instance, I do not feel qualified to give advice on many straight up sex questions that are specific because I've never had sex. I don't know much in the area except for things from a psychological/scientific standpoint, so my advice in that area is not worth much.

However, I think I've definitely helped people in questions involving dating, even though I've never dated. I understand guy behavior so I can give perspectives from that side, and I know some stuff about girl behavior based on life experiences I've observed and interacted with. (Sometimes psychology classes I've taken and books I've had to read like "Why women have sex" come in handy for reference material too xD).

I have lived 20 years and have perceived the world all the time. I think that simply observing things have given me source material. A lot of things are question on human behavior, which I believe I can help with.

That being said, I would not claim to know "everything" about a gender of preference. Heck, I don't think I could say I know "everything" about guys since people differ person to person.

TL;DR; It depends. I picked C.

• i guess it depends on the advice, like they may have never been on a date, but can still have a really good idea on how to treat a lady that most can agree with? depends on whats being asked I suppose.

but, experience or not, if its sound, I'll take it into consideration.

• Hopefully not as I have no experience in anything.

C. Having experience doesn't really matter as they could have learned all the wrong lessons. Also, I don't think anyone should just accept what other people say (esp. on the internet) as fact without thinking it through regardless of how much experience they have. Inexperienced people may have learned lessons from observing lessons and could be impartial meaning their advice is actually better.

Really it just depends on the person. There are so many pros and cons I think it's best to dismiss it as a factor altogether.

• I think a person could have good ideas or be naturally perceptive and have good empathizing skills even without having some of the experience. Well the last part about knowing every bring about the gender is false because I think it is rather impossible to know everything.

• Simply because they claim they know "everything" about a gender I think by principle means they are not experts by any stretch of the imagination.

• I'd say C, and it also depends on what the subject they're talking about actually is. I kind of fit the description you put in your question, but in no way do I claim to know anything about girls, but I'd like to think I can give advice to people that can amount to some degree of help :) (although I'm never told the results :P )

• Sure, they inform me on what they think, how they feel, how they react.

• I would, to an extent. Because some of it is purely just common sense.

And if someone claims they know everything about girls or guys then they know nothing about them

• Yes. As in, if you bitch and put women down all the time, they're probably not going to want to date you. Broski is in his 30s and hasn't figured that out yet.

• No idea. It's not very responsible, in my humble opinion.

• Truuuu. Anyone can submit a good application

• I think there are people who can be quite useful in things they have not experienced. Especially in relationships you often get cloudy headed and hurt when you think without reason. Sometimes the people who have little experience can give the best advice since they can see things from an outside perspective.

• Just the because person hadn't experienced, doesn't mean he/she didn't learned from someone who is. I couldn't get no girl before but I learned from friended who did. Not all advice was good but turn out ok

What Girls Said 8

• I don't think being experienced or not would have to affect someone's ability to give good advice on a certain topic. Often times, people who have not yet experienced it themselves will give good out-of-the-box type advice. Something different from what others would say, so it could help give you a whole new perspective. Not always better but you can then see the situation from more than one angle?

(Anyone who claims to know everything about their gender of preference, whether they're inexperienced or been dating or whatever for years, will be dismissed by me.)

• I voted B, but C also applies. I've never been in a relationship and I've never dated either, but I still think I give good advice to those who need it when it comes to dating/relationships. I always try to empathize with them, see different perspectives and compare their situation to other people's experiences that I've heard about. I'm pretty empathetic so I always use my own moral compass and think about how I'd react/what I'd do if I was in that situation.
    But then again it also depends on the topic. Some topics are impossible to weigh in on if you have zero experience.

• This entire website is based on inexperienced people giving advice on shit they have no clue about.

It's useful because it brings me a great deal of entertainment.
    http://i.imgur.com/DKJhx9l.gif

• Ha, true. You've gotta laugh when you see a dude in his 30s who has never had any interaction with women go on and on about how evil they are and all the wrong they've done him just because no one will go out with him. Put two and two together, dude.

• Normally it depends. Since about somethings they could be intuitive enough to give pretty good advice. Though when it comes to understanding the emotion being felt. They probably won't be able to give the best advice. Since you can't guess how you would feel or how it will go if you truly fell in love, heart broken, etc.

Now if they are saying they know everything about it. Yet never dated or anything. Then I would write them off completely.

• It all depends. If they're claiming to know all, then it's definitely not the best advice to follow. However, some may have thohhtful insight still.

• sometimes?

everything I say I say from experience otherwise I look past the question.

• they may not have personal experience, but have observed enough from people around them for them to form a informative opinion.

• Some people can be really perceptive. I know people who've had tons of relationships who can't get their lives together, let alone give advice.

• This particular user is neither naturally perceptive nor does he have his life together. He pisses and moans about how no one will ever date him but he also feels the need to degrade women at every turn. I wonder if those two things are related, hmm?