What's with all the private opinions?

Are you that ashamed that you don't want anyone to see?

Most Helpful Guy

• Here's how bad it can get. As an experiment and example to GAG, I posted a question while requiring only private opinions. And as soon as I had the minimum required opinions, I selected MHOs to force the question closed. This is the result.

www.girlsaskguys.com/.../q1919826-how-useful-do-you-find-the-private-option-to-be

Pretty useless, right? We already have anonymous options. We didn't need this. They said it was to make GAG more safe and pleasant. I don't see either cause being advanced with this new feature.

What Girls Said 6

• lol i remember being on a question thread where my opinion was the only visible one... i felt so alone :P

• I don't do anonymous or private... what I have to say or ask will be asked and said publicly. No question is stupid and an opinion isn't a fact. Plus I rarely get embarrassed so this private feature and those irrelevant notifications going off every 2minutes are beyond pointless. That's why they invited the direct messager lol

• It's pointless, your identity is already hidden when you go anon. Plus I think it encourages creeps to talk to you.

• Agreed! It's totally pointless when there is the PM facility. If everyone replies privately, moderators, like my bruv says, will become largly redundant. There will be only the questions to moderate on.

• @juicyjessie I don't know why GaG decided to make all of these changes.

• haha they might be!

• I've only answer privately a couple times when the asker wanted that. Otherwise, I wouldn't go private.

• I've only posted a private opinion if I've had to, I don't see the point in using it

What Guys Said 8

• 0|0
  • I usually reply that I don't reply to questions that require private opinions.

GAG has simply made it easier for trolls to reply with opinions and comments that cannot be moderated.

• if the asker requests private only then you have no choice in answering a question, otherwise i agree with you , i would not deliberately answer 'private'

• I think you may be right!

• I won't ever answer privately, even if requested. It goes against the whole ethos of being a public forum. Anything private can be done more efficiently by PM. Like a 1 to 1 talk about something personal.

• @juicyjessie totally 100% sums it up nicely

• Actually most of the time it's because I'm 15 and I feel like people won't take me seriously so if it says under 18 then maybe I will be listened to more.

• Yeah its a gay feature.

• a new form of social anxiety.

• It's actually amusing that private opinions can be seen on the users profile page; however I've never answered an opinion privately (it's stupid because it defeats the whole purpose of this site - I don't get why that was implemented)

But if you were to know my username (and perhaps you do, as I don't care) you were also to see all the questions I've answered anonymously (!)

• But not if your profile is private.

• ... and not a friend of the one with a private profile

• Not sure what the difference between private and anon is. Can you tell me please?

• Anon is you see the opinion you not who said it. Private opinions, you don't see anything.

• Bahahaha then why even respond private? Bahahahaha Gag has made some stellar choices. If a tree falls in the woods in Denmark does Gag hear it? Bahahahaha