Am I the only one who thinks the new private feature is cool and useful?

I've noticed a lot of people seem to be unahppy with it, but I think it's such a unique idea with way more pros than cons! I haven't used the feature just yet but I think that some people don't appreciate nosey GAG users who seem to feel entitled to peek in on conversations that don't directly involve them. I have been guilty of that myself but it's always with good intentions. Maybe some of them just really value the one on one dialogue without having random people insert themselves, especially if those random people are only showing up to stroke their own ego or try to derail the convo into some pointless, silly "debate". I have seen so many posts where a productive, fruitful conversation completely rerouted to some cesspool of negativity, ego, and wasted time. Not every dialogue and interaction is meant to be public.

What do you think?

• You most certainly are.
  • No, I think this feature is useful as well.

Most Helpful Guy

• This is a Private Opinion
    Only the asker and the opinion owner can view it. Learn more

Most Helpful Girl

• I hear ya, but, I don't see the value-add over and above the existing PM system.

What Guys Said 10

• I'm with you as far as someone else coming into a conversation or just single question opinions and spewing their bs. I don't like it and have gotten in many arguments that didn't happen before the down vote was taken away.. It can also be a good thing and great GAGers can add something to a convo or opinion that could be missed out on now.

• I think as is the case with many things, it can be a useful tool which also carries with it a high potential for abuse. When the private options were first put into place, I posted the following question to prove what unintended consequences the 'allow private opinions only 'and forced closure of questions after selecting MHOs can create.

www.girlsaskguys.com/.../q1919826-how-useful-do-you-find-the-private-option-to-be

Not very much there for you to see, right? It's now a dead end question which is of zero value to anyone but the asker (me). Questions like that must also be a nightmare for the moderators as they can't see those opinions and deal with any TOS violations, either. So when we have the ability to post anonymously and the ability to block responders, including now the ability to block anonymous responders within a given question, I don't see the need to have a private opinions only option when asking a question. It just seems counterproductive to the purpose of community. I'd be fine with keeping the option for individual opinion replies to questions even though I still think it's overkill. But I believe the option to allow only private replies when asking a question was not fully thought out.

• I actually like it.

• Well I have not used that feature either that you speak of.. and probably would not because some women.. and if I used it they would be the only ones getting a message.. in my view do not like getting private messages.. I do not want to come across as some sort of a pushy person who sends messages to everyone.. but the one that to me that get the most negative talk is the closing of questions.

It is done before some people who just may have a great opinion to the question owner.. even see it as some do not come on this site everyday.. then when they do see it and go to post a comment.. low and behold it is closed.. they should at least allow a week before they close down the question.. that way most can post.. I do think that many gag users would go along with that

• It's totally useless when we already have a PM facility. All it means is moderators can't do a proper job of trying to keep other users from getting improper messages

• But how is one supposed to know who they can reach out to for solid help and advice to PM in the first place? Plus, simply sending it in a private message would defeat the purpose of the Asker's privacy if they chose to be anonymous.

• @redeyemindtricks you check this box before submitting your question. Bam! You're an anonymous asker \o/
      s23.postimg.org/.../...hot_2016_02_29_11_45_00.png
      It'll help you to talk with other users on a certain topic without having your name revealed.

• nononono dude, i meant how does the whole private opinion correspondence work lol
      (if the question asker is anon)

I was just noting that this new feature allows sending messages to an anon.
      Previously, I had asked "where's the value-added?" -- the same question asked by the gentleman at the head of this discussion thread -- but, there's some value-added here.

I have no reason to ask questions anon. Y'all love me too much for that, it wouldn't be fair <3

• I'm all for the private opinions, sometimes one wants to give advice without having the public read it and judge them.

As long as there is an option for the question asker to not allow private opinions on their answers!

• No it sucks that's what inboxing is for or anonymous.

• I'm indifferent mostly...

• I'd think it was cooler if people couldn't read your private opinions off your profile.

Also wonder how they'll moderate them.

• It can be useful for some questions, but usually no

What Girls Said 6

• I hate it. When I see a string of private answers on some girl's HDIL post you know *exactly* what people saying and it's DEFINITELY against the rules.

One of the largest consistent complaints on the site is that female users are harassed via PMs. So WHY did GaG give people another way to harass other people?

• I'm pretty sure that wasn't the intent and most people don't intend to abuse that feature

• How Do I Look

Considering that I only see private posts on HDIL and sexual questions unless the asker specifically said they wanted private answers only I am VERY sure it's being used exactly that way.

Did you know you also can't turn Private comments or whatever off? The way it is now all questions are required to be open to private comments. That bothers me.

• I like the private option as well.

• USELESS! lol

• honestly i think that would depend on the question. I'm yet to use it.

• it doesn't actually work properly.

• This feature is of no use at all.