MHO courtesy means shit now?

I'm not really thanking people for MHO at this point. Seems 90% of the time (or smth), is the admins now chosing the MHO's instead of the Asker him/herself. Should we get rid of the "Thanks for the MHO" courtesy or keep it. What do you think?

Most Helpful Girl

• u know the asker's chosen it when it's less than 30days old.
    if it's older than that then i don't say anything. when it's more recent i do, but not every time. i guess it just comes down to u, u know? how you feel, and whether it's just a part of who u are to say it or not.

• Yeah Ale just told me this, I didn't know that. Still, what if you think you didn't get an mho worthy response in that period of time though?

I'll definitely start noticing how long the questions have been up though 😊👍

• Would it make that difference if the same guy selected YOU in millions compared to 2-3?

• @YourFutureEx as i stated, yep it makes a difference, but that also depends on the question.

Most Helpful Guy

• No.

#1. Admins never selected MHOs. It is automatic system which selects MHO based on Xper rank, MHO%, time taken and the depth of opinion, how quickly you helped the asker and various other aspects.
    #2. They're selected after 30 days if asker didn't select them.
    #3. Because of new notification system, you're now notified about those automatically selected MHOs. That's why you're feeling that admins are now selecting them. They were also being awarded to you back then but you weren't notified.
    #4. I thank the asker IF he/she selects it (not the automatic system) because "The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say 'thank you'. In between the two, the leader must become a servant and a debtor". It doesn't cost anything to say "thanks". They're good manners. There are a lot of users who give MHO to their friends, those who validates them by lying and the ones who just give it randomly. You could thank them for choosing YOU in this horde, for taking time, for respecting your opinion. I don't agree with that girl in this thread who said it's redundant because even tho you helped someone, you may learn from that question a lot. And it's like they appreciated your answer so, you should thank them and make them smile in return, no?

Good luck, fella :)

• I have no issue with the automatic system, I mean, it has always been there. I didn't know you had the 30 days period to select an mho, though it just doesn't make any sense to me to close a question in 48 hours and then having to select mh even if the answers you got weren't helpful at all, you know.

Yeah, that's pretty much the reason I thought so. Seems people in general are getting more mho's now though, but at the same time it feels as if the mho percentaje isn't chanfing. I wonder why though, seems weird to me.

I mean, I kind of agree to Kayla because it is kind of redundant since you are actually the one supposedly helping the asker. But I also agree to what you said though. Thanking the asker it's just a courtesy thing that has basically always been here, well, since I joined the site at least lol. And I've alwayaa done it myself, too.

Thanks man ☺

• I said though a lot of times though, too. Should've proofread, always happens when I'm writing from my phone 😂

• I think the 'closed questions' thingy will be closed next month.

I can understand you and Kayla. I was egoistic too (sorry if you don't like that word), but I am always proud of my egoism. I asked a question if I should thank asker or not (back then, I did not used to do that). But I started doing it after hearing the views.
      It's like you are selected for the best actor award. Now, would you skip the speech telling everybody that "I did the best acting, so they gave it to me. So, why should I thank anyone?"
      Haha but it's not that bad (egoistic). Some people don't like receiving their "thanks", because it gives them an unwanted notification lol.
      At the end of the day, the thing which will matter is, if YOU are happy or not.

The pleasure is all mine, fella :)

What Girls Said 7

• I never really beleived in thanking people for giving me and MHO because I mean.. they gave it to me in return for what they felt was the most helpful opinion. Wouldn't thanking them for essentially thanking me seem a bit redundant?

(especially now. I agree that it seems as though admin choose 90% of MHO's... I wake up each morning with 20+ MHO's, and my percentage hasn't budged at all since the update. Very suspicious.)

• You DO have a point in thanking the asker at all in the first place. It does seem redundant, but I guess it's just mere courtesy for being a community site and all.

Also, exactly. I've also noticed a significant amount of mho's for me yet my ratio is still untouched. Good observation 😉

• Probably something wrong with the coding. Probably only goes up if the asker selects it

• I didn't know it's the admin that's doing it now! I got like 8 this morning, some from a month ago. It may be redundant, but I thank people and appreciate that my input may have helped them.
    If I'm the only opinion and get MHO, I'm less likely to show appreciation. That's like getting a blue ribbon when you're the only one running the event.

• Yesssss! Same! I've gotten a bunch of MHOs from a month ago that I haven't thanked the asker for because I'm guessing it's the system choosing them. I only thank people of it's been given within a few days.

• Why should you thanking someone for giving you MHO when you're the one who did the asker a favor by giving good advice? That's like thanking someone for thanking you, which in my opinion is just redundant and weird.

• Should you be thanking*

• Someone else pointed that out too, and I agree. I usually did it for mere courtesy, since it seemed as a thing ever since I joined here. And since we're supposed to be (not so much now, though) in a community site I thought it'd fine to go along with it. It's also nice I guess, for your opinion to be recognized, so that too.

• Yeah I'm noticing that I'm getting more automated MHO's these days. If I see that the question is 30 days old then I just don't say anything. Anything under that and I still say thanks. That's just me tho.

• I never really did the courtesy thing anyway.

• Eh, seems you have something less to worry about lol

• You can tell when the system chooses your answer and when the asker does. It tells you. It's the difference between "your answer was chosen" and "the asker selected your opinion".

• That's a new one for me, I never notice those things. Thanks for the heads up, though. :)

• I don't really care about MHO. Lol

What Guys Said 10

• Dude, I wrote right on my profile page: "Consider this "thanks in advance" for MHO. Seems kind of trite to type it out every time you get one...", haha, totally with on this one.

• They give you 30 days to choose MHO, if you don't, they'll choose it for you.
    I don't say thanks for the mho if the post is 30+ days old.
    I'm tired of choosing MHO's so I just leave it up to the admins, and I've gotten some thank you's from old posts, and I didn't choose them.

If the post is not that old, I do say thank you.

• 30 days? Since when they reversed the 48 hour period, seems I've been absent lately 😕

• Ah, I see. What if you think you didn't get an mho worthy response in that period of time though? You're still obligued to select whatever you got. Ugh, these changes man... 😒

• If after 30 days you haven't selected any MHO then they'll choose it for you, even if the only 2 responses you got were "blahblahblah".

• Ya gag is just a bunch of BS
    They have been picking me a lot lately for mandatory selected MHOs so i guess thats ok tho lol

• I don't say "thanks for MHO" if the question is 30 days old, because that means it was auto-selected.

• I think it's stupid that one, "has to be picked". And I don't think GAG admin. should be allowed to pick one if the asker doesn't find any replies helpful. I also think it's stupid that there's a time limit on it and that questions are getting closed all of a sudden after only a day or two... WTF?

• It seems as admins are not choosing them, but their automatic system (not sure what's the exact difference there though). And you can still select mho within 30 days, BUT your question will be closed regardless in a period of 48 hours if your question doesn't get much responses.

• I think we should have 3 types of MHO.
    The one the asker picks, the one question readers vote on to pick, and a mod pick.
    The asker has a stake in their own question, so their opinion matters.
    the community should be able to express their approval of an answer beyond a thumbs up, so their pick counts.
    The mods may be looking for what they consider to be the best written/most well thought out reply, and while they may show a bias, their opinion still counts.

• I do it sometimes, and sometimes don't

• rarely did that anyway

• Well, if someone says "ty for MHO" to me, that's the last time they are getting an mh from me.

• Wait what?

I like rarely pay attention to these things anymore