Should there be an option for us to disable private opinions on our questions?

Like how we can currently disable anonymous opinions. I don't see the need for private opinions on my own questions and I'm sure others feel the same way.

• No (why not?)
  • Yes (why?)

Most Helpful Guy

• You can answer anonymously so there is no point to having private opinions at all. In fact, they are being hypocritical. They claim that they don't allow us to edit or remove our posted opinions or answers (which is insane) because they want them here in case someone in a similar situations can see it and learn from it blah, blah, blah.

The only thing allowing private opinions does is make it so that no one else can see it, so which is it? Do you want others to be able to see them and learn from the opinions of others or not? It's another obvious contradiction. This stuff isn't that hard. I don't know how they keep messing stuff like this up. They must have a lot of group think going on.

• You can speak the bitter truth without even worrying about the insane bigots of GAG.

• If you implement that system GAG, I want credit lol.

• Maybe that was in their minds but they didn't implement it because then people could opine things like "don't believe that anon. He/she's so wrong. Here's what you should do..." and then the opinion owner gets lot of upvotes and "I agree" replies.

Your opinion would be derided indirectly.

Most Helpful Girl

• I thought this was how it was gonna be from the start! Like with anon opinions. Fucking GaG.
    They should also not allow private opinions to anyone under 18 too. I've already seen posts where like 13yr old girls make questions like "I'm 13 and have 34D boobs and I'm 5'0 100lbs, are they too big?" And then like 5 males give private opinions. Fucking creepy, this is just asking for pedos to bother kids.
    in my opinion, private opinions are the dumbest thing ever, BUT even more stupid to allow them on anyone under 18 post. Because let's face it, the majority of under 18 is females posting about how insecure they are about their bodies. They don't need creepy men, many times much older, telling them inappropriate comments. I've seen them before opinions weren't a feature, I can't imagine how many pervs come out to play now with it.

Smh, fucking GaG completely ruined it this time.

(Also, FUCK automatic closing of questions! Another pointless feature on a site with its purpose is to ASK QUESTIONS AND RECEIVE ANSWERS! They should make that optional as well!)

What Guys Said 20

• i really don't see why not, since GaG threw in so many other useless options we can enable/disable, right?

• Since I see private opinions as something that probably should not be there in the first place, of course we should be able to disable them on our questions. We have the option to prevent anonymous opinions and this would make even more sense. (It took a lot of will power, but I avoided making this private as a joke.)

• no. some people may want to give advice, and whether anonymous or not (maybe they're concerned their writing style will be recognized?) they would still prefer to answer privately.
    you see an answer to your question, and a shy responder doesn't have everyone who looks at the question know what they said.

it is a good way to encourage people to answer more openly and honestly, without negative, or otherwise unwelcome, feedback from other commentors.

• But they can just PM me if they want to leave a private answer to my question. Or ask me to PM them or something. I see the merit in private answers, however I feel that they don't offer anything different than PMs do in terms of discretion. I never allow anonymous answers on my questions, unless they are sexual or relationship questions which might require more personal answers. So 90% of the time I'm going to know who's answering, including private opinions.

I'm not saying get rid of the feature entirely. I just want a choice about whether or not I want private answers on my questions. Just like we already have a choice about allowing anonymous answers. Personally I feel like private answers go against the whole premise of the site, which is to be a public advice forum. I think it takes something away from the community.

• In this case they can create " special" account for " private things" under different user name. Its not so hard to do it even to swith between accounts. All is taking few seconds or simul. logging in.

• @Arthur1970 You're only allowed one active account at a time though.

• I don't really see the point of private opinions.
    First we have usernames, so nobody knows who you really are, then you can choose to post anonymously so that we can't even see your username, private opinions are just excessive anonymity.

Part of what I like about this site is being able to read other people's opinions so having them hidden to everyone but the asker just annoys me.

• Why not just remove the private opinions as a whole all together. We dont need it anyway.

• We did just fine without it before!

• Yup... exactly. Its so irritating when you can't see many opinions on pirticular questions. If we can't see others opinion then Gag will lose its purpose... which is to know what others think.

• If they're going to have the ability to disallow anonymous opinions for questions, then it's only right to be able to disallow private ones, too.

• Yes, there should be.

• Yes. I said this on the new Take explaining the new changes.
    I don't want private opinions.

• of course there should. especially since you can also do it with anonymous opinions. makes no sense to be able to block anonymous answers but allow private opinions, especially since you can abuse that feature even more.

• Yes. Or just remove them altogether and we all save us the trouble.

I can even see the incoming gag update: "So we've decided to listen to our community again, and now, instead of not having any control on the private opinions now you can remove this feature after 24 hours for your question! This will improve..." blah blah blah

• Yes and I really don't know why that isn't already a thing.

• I'm surprised that isn't how questions are set up o_o

• Yes, because the private opinion thing is fucking stupid, as are most of the changes they made recently.

• I say yes, I'm all about adding user control. :)

• It's pointless. If someone wants to talk privately with me then they can just simply message me...

• Of course yes. UC. ( user control)

• Absolutely

• Yes. Pretty much for the same reasons you stated.

• I think some things shouldn't be mentioned, only to a certain demographic area,

1 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more

What Girls Said 13

• Actually, we are working on something like that for users who do not want to receive any Private Opinions on their questions :)

• I figured you guys had something like this coming down the pike. I'm now curious about what the community at large thinks. Thanks!

• Thank you for implementing this feature!

• Of course! :)

• I honestly see little point for the private opinions. After all, that's kind of what the private messaging feature is for right? Private conversations and such. And if you want to remain anonymous for questions then you can answer anonymously.

• Or How about Edit or Remove our own Comments or WTF? Good change GAG should Instill, @musicbrain5
    Good luck and Great question. xx

• Thank you Paris!

• I have always found it ironic how the biggest liberals who claim to care so much about the little man and want to speak truth to power and give individual freedoms are actually the biggest supporters of governments and systems that suppress people and take away the individual right and freedoms of everyone. It is insane that we don't have control over own opinions and had I know that before I never would have joined.

• And as I said up there, the only thing that is really accomplished by allowing private opinions is that other users cannot see them, which contradicts their claimed reason for which they don't allow us control over our own thoughts and opinions (because they supposedly want others in similar situations to see our opinions even if we decide to leave the site) so which is it?

• They said there was supposed to be an option to not allow them I thought... Apparently I'm just imagining things now T-T

My suggestion is to bring it up on this Take. www.girlsaskguys.com/.../a26119-fine-tuning-required

• I really don't want private opinions, just the way that I don't want anonymous opinions.

• I find there is little difference between the two - only that the private opinion can't be seen by anyone who's not the QA or the opinion owner. In a way, it's even MORE anonymous.

• Or old pervs.

• Yeah, they're just as bad if not worse.

• Yes, there should be an option. I just logged back on after being offline for three months and I can already say I don't like it.

• Yes, I don't like the idea of having that feature in the first place, so there definitely should be an option to disable it on our questions, just as there is the option block anonymous opinions.

• It's a good idea imo!

• Yes, I would approve that feature. I see no point to them really.

• If anon posts can be blocked than private posts should be too. It makes absolutely no sense.

• Yes no private should be the default.

• Yes, i think so.

• I think so. You can opt for private opinions only, so why not no private opinions.