Do You Answer "How Do I Look?" types of questions on G@G? Why or why not?

I always avoid answering those types of questions unless I have something nice to say about their appearance. What's the point in calling an ugly person ugly? If you have nothing nice to say why say anything at all? I don't want to crush someone's self-esteem or tell them they are not my type and they look ugly.

Most Helpful Guy

What Guys Said 10

• I enjoy those questions because it's nice to see the looks of basic people instead of celebrities and photoshopped pictures. I get to see what styles other users have and what others say about them. Can help me improve my style. I avoid saying that someone is ugly because that doesn't help in any way. I try thinking of recommendations that can help improve their appearance because that can be helpful.

• If I make my mind up to answer a HDIL question, I'll tell them the truth from my perspective, whether I think they are attractive or not.

If I call them attractive, I usually try to give a reason why like "you have pretty eyes" or whatnot.

If I call them unattractive, I list what I think they can do to improve, like saying "if you apply less makeup, it would look more natural and make you look more attractive" or "you would look better if lost some weight." I figure that calling them straight up ugly doesn't really help them out-- it only hurts their self esteem. The HDIL questions I've answered where I gave suggestions receive generally positive reactions from asker on the whole.

However, offering suggestions to improve is beneficial to them. If they are asking a HDIL question, I would hope they want honest ratings and stuff, not just everyone saying "you look 10/10" when they really don't mean it. I don't believe it is right to lie to the asker and give them false confidence. False confidence can be shattered and create more issues.

If they are actually genetically erm... not very attractive and there is nothing that can really be done about it, I usually say something along the lines of... "you are not my type. However, everyone has different preferences. What isn't my type is sure to be someone else's." That way, I make it clear to them that while I may not be attracted to them, it doesn't mean that they have no hope.

• Seeing comments like "you are beautiful" or "wow, you are perfect" can make someone's day or put a smile on their face. It hurts when a bunch of anonymous people from an online community say things like "you look meh" or "not my type". The truth is nobody wants to hear other people's brutally honest opinions.

• If that was the case and they weren't prepared for something like that, then I would recommend the person not posting the picture to an anonymous community asking how they look.

For a person looking for a self esteem boost, I would imagine that a HDIL question would only be temporary relief if anything anyway... considering the people that post the same pictures over and over in HDIL to fish for compliments.

So for that, I will give honest answers. I won't give over the top negative answers, but I will be truthful in my statements at the very least. It preserves my integrity and also lets the asker get a fair portrayal of their pic.

If there was a magical machine that rated faces and accurately said how attractive someone was, it'd be a invaluable piece of equipment and people would put faith in it. However, if the machine only spit out "you look fantastic, 10/10," the machine would be worthless.

• yes I do, but like you I only answer those where I have something nice to say or where I can at least help in some way...

• Careful though cs he s picky as hell

• @archiz isn't that why you like hearing my opinion?

but on hdil questions I usually keep it short without going too much into detail... so I think I'm the opposite of being picky on those questions. if I think she's pretty overall then I'll just say that and not pick on the things I don't like

• Good man :p

• I only answer when I think the girl is pretty :P

• If I think the person's ugly, I don't say anything

• I answer them because my opinion matters too!

• So in other words you only lie to us Ugly people when we ask? Got it.

• Yes, because someone is waiting on an answer

• Remarkably most people that I've seen there are pretty good looking; so either they are just common attention whores or have really low self esteem. When people are ugly I just say they look average.

• if i see someone good-looking i tell them and if not i don't say anything at all.

What Girls Said 13

• I like to look and answer them. If someone is attractive, I say so.

If they're not, I don't say anything negative but I try to suggest something. Like "you're okay, but I think you would look better with a different hairstyle", etc.

• In other words ''You're Okay is code for so you're ugly I'm I right?

• And how many good looking people have you seen on here compare to the others?

• @Touglyforfemales
      I'm not going to give any numbers, because I don't know, but I'd say that I've seen more attractive people, some average, and a few ugly.

• Lol... No, I don't. They claim to be looking for "honest opinions" BUT I know if I were to give my honest opinion, I'll have to brace myself for a torrential pour of "unfavorable comments".

Besides, I'm not into giving attention to attention-seeking/ -craving individuals.

Sooo... Nope.

• i do but i never rate them by number. i always compliment or give advice.

• No because just no!

• I don't want to bully people and call them ugly. We have no control over the way we look. I also try not to say anything negative.

• I answer those questions rarely.

• Yes I answer them. Why? Because those are just about the only questions you can find on here -_-

• Sometimes. Depending on my mood

• No because most of them know they look good and just want people to feed their egos.

• It depends on what they are asking. If they are asking do I look good in this clothing then I'll answer but if they ask am I pretty type questions most of the type their asking for attention

• i blocked that category, so no

• I feel like most people know they are good looking, and and just trying to get as many comments from whatever gender that they are interested in. There is no point to comment when the person is obviously attractive. As for people who aren't attractive to me, there's also no point to tell them that because it just makes them feel worse

• Not me I never see myself as ''Good Looking'' and probably never will.

• @Touglyforfemales I don't view myself as good looking either. I just feel that the majority of people who ask those questions know that they are

• Nope because damn near all of them are trolls anyways...