Why is discussing suicide such a taboo subject and why does GAG not allow people to ask questions who have suicidal tendencies?

If it really is a big problem then shouldn't we help convince people not to kill themselves instead of the questions being removed.

• Because its bad for business and the website owner does not want to be held as reliability for someones death via suicide
  • It causes negativity for the website
  • I agree we should allow questions about suicide

Most Helpful Girl

• People who are suicidal need professional help. They need ongoing , tailored made treatment to help them to overcome whatever they are facing. We aren't in a position to do that for them.

There's too many sociopaths, haters, trolls and callous people on here, and they could cause a vulnerable person to carry out their threat of suicide. When someone is depressed, unstable and vulnerable, the last thing they need is someone on here to hurt them even more.

Most Helpful Guy

• We think this subject should be treated very carefully and seriously.

So, even though we firmly believe that this community can be incredibly helpful, anything that’s related to committing suicide or suicidal tendencies should be handled by a professional.

This is why we do reach out to every asker or opinion owner who displays those tendencies with information on a hotline where they can get help from professionals and a link to this myTake: www.girlsaskguys.com/.../a6861-a-guide-to-suicide-awareness-prevention

What Girls Said 4

• I would assume that it's cause this site is really not the best place for something like that, y'know? There might be a couple of people on it that are trained psychiatrists but most people aren't. Someone can say something wrong and fuck everything up and push that person over the edge, or some troll can push them into it.

• And ignoring it is bad too and can lead to the same thing.

• how do you know?

• Because people have posted screenshots of the message they got once their 'suicidal tendency' post had been removed. It had links to helplines. Plus, the @GirlsAskGuys account also just confirmed that that's what happens.

• When that stuff is removed then the asker receives a message with help hotlines and such I believe.

• maybe because it causes negativity but i agree some people would benefit from talking about it

• It's probably a bit of A and a bit of B. I suppose there's legal issues if someone gets trolled into suicide maybe?

What Guys Said 6

• I won't pick an option because A + B are possibilities
    (1) or (A) Liability - Don't know legalities of it but if you ask a suicide question and somebody says "Yes the pain is too much, you should do it", is site promoting suicide.
    (2) or (B) Last thing a site like this needs is to get a reputation for suicide pacts etc.
    (3) or (C) Absolutely no way for reasons listed
    (4) Trolls - "Put us out of our misery and just do it, you freak"
    (5) Attention Whores "I may not have done it previous 47 times but this time I mean it, message me but before 10am I have class"
    (6) Hoaxers - "I am bored - What will I do - I know I will post a suicide question and watch the bleeding hearts scramble to the rescue.
    (7) The "God" complex - "I am fantastic I talked 27 people down from suicide last year, I lost 4 but you win some. you lose some. The contact/helplines are trained to deal with this situation.
    (8) And most important GENUINE CRIES FOR HELP are lost in the tangle of previously listed reasons.

• If the " owners " intend to provide a forum to ask questions and allow questions like... uh, you know what I mean... I think it would be helpful considering the demographic but it would require additional monitoring because not everyone is honest on the internet and some people can be vicious so the consequences could horrible but there's the flip side could help at any rate its the creators vision and that may not include such serious content. or not?

• its the posts that go something like.. "i want to kill myself, what is the quickest and most painless way to do it?" that GaG doesn't like and gets removed swiftly.

• This website attracts enough freaks as it is

• There's a ton of better sites for it anyway GAG is shit at anything other than like relationships stuff.

• Triggers.