Is gag a place for argumentative people?

Gag is a place where everyone can offer their opinions and comment on other people's opinions as well. With an opinion, just about everyone thinks theirs is the right one. I've noticed that a lot of people on here will say they enjoy "debates" with others or demand someone provide "facts and sources" to back up their ideas. Lmao. Are these people just people who like to argue with others?

Most Helpful Guy

• Yep. The also often use insulting language to offend people, but do it in such a way that they can claim people are reading too much into their words. It has been getting pretty bad on here lately. Most of the better users have left, I believe mostly do to the stupid updates. That leaves the helpful user, to hateful troll ratio off balance.

Luckily most of the hateful trolls don't stick around long. They are generally the people with new accounts. If gag stops updating the site constantly we can finnally build up a better user base again.

Most Helpful Girl

• it can be, if that's all someone is here for. needless to say, they will not be very liked by anyone.

What Guys Said 20

• "Is gag a place for argumentative people?" Fuck naw since you'll be BLOCKED instantly on here LOL

• Pretty much what you said. But take in account it has gotten much worse since the downvote option was removed. Instead of simply disagree and downvote to an opinion, if you feel strongly against what someone else said, there's no other way other than commenting and get into an argument.

On a personal note, I don't mind people asking for sources or whatever. It depends on the subjects they're discussing. Some things can easily be discussed with anecdotes, personal opinions (faith, morality), while others, possibly scientific and political statistics, are better to confirm with outside references. Just my two cents.

• Arguments are never fine. I mean surely there will be some people who will deliberately argue with the other even if there is nothing to argue about. I think they just like to do it.

• I think not yet there is some strong beliefs and opinions. There is however some creepy people on here, some stuff they say is over the top.

• Characterizing those that demand rigorous standards to qualify claims as "people who just like to argue" is both regressive and cheap.

We are better off as a species because people demanded a higher level of discussion and didn't settle for allowing dogmatic idiots to get away with running their mouths and influencing policy.

Not everyone is capable of determining who is full of crap and who isn't (as indicated by the rise of Trump), so "arguing" is a good thing. No free passes.

• saying gag is argumentative is like saying that hannah montana goes hard... as soon as you get into any kind of debate, you get blocked. 1 slightly derogatory insult, your opinion gets reported. give a take or question that's too controversial. blocked. people go anon because they're afraid of attaching a face to an opinion because "they're more honest"

• Yeah... Until the online whiners start penetrating the report button because they're unable to conceive that their opinion differs from other people.

• You can't really debate as in going at it hard on this site you will get your account frozen

• You can easily have a debate with someone and not get your account frozen. Do you want a link to the posting guidelines to see how easy it is?

• Five years? Wow, that's awesome but a little disheartening for me haha. It'll take forever for me to become a grand master GAG member.

• You have to post a lot and spend a lot of time on GAG

• Depends on the topic to be honest with you most of the time I'm just here messing around, answering stuff. And I get into arguments on occasion, while other people here literally seem to strive off of being a pain in the ass lol.

• lol dont forget about the trolls, I have seen quite a few and I think they are funny, always brings a smile. But there's always others who want a serious converstation, and yea, some that want proof in front of them. I think the whole internet is like that

• You can't get too arguementative on here without getting kicked out, some of the mods are pretty touchy.
    I like poking the bee hive sometimes, just for fun. Some people are fun to get fired up.

• 1|0
  • Not necessarily...
    i can only speak for myself and i LOVE to "light fires" when i can lol...
    sometimes i get busted and called out... sometimes, it goes on for days...
    @redeyemindtricks has done both.

• I do enjoy discussions, but not debates, nor arguments.
    And yes, there is a lot of argumentative people here, but I think most are nice and trying to help others.

• It's not just gag. It's everywhere on the Internet because some idiots enjoy arguing with strangers over stupid things

• GAG invites argumentative people. Just look at the name.

• No it's a place for docile mindless content generating robots.

• The internet in general is the place to be for argumentative people.

• What's wrong with a debate? If every opinion was the same then they would be worthless?

• Nothing at all. I'm just asking a question. A debate and an argument are exactly the same thing, it seems as though most people on here do not understand the difference. If someone enjoys debates, then yeah they enjoy arguing.

• Enjoying debates = enjoying arguments?

How about the students, researchers and big businessman who are dependent upon the debates to learn, find and achieve?

There's hell lot of difference between the two and one can enjoy the one and hate the another at the same time.

But yeah, everyone has his/her own opinions and mindset.

• @YourFutureEx I'm just proposing a question, it doesn't necessarily need to be a bad thing. Debates require arguments, the two words are synonyms for each other.

• Not at all. Arguments on gag is basically "My opinion is socially accepted yours is not!" and "SHOW THE PROOF AND THEN I WILL IGNORE IT OR QUESTION ITS VALIDITY!".

Arguments have no place here :P
    If you do end up debating with someone, expect a block.

What Girls Said 11

• I mean, you could level the same claims against pretty much the entire internet, of course.
    LOL

This place is what it is. It's what you make it.
    If you WANT to pick fights, then, the internet is yr fucking oyster -- nonstop fights 24/7 with people around the world! Go for it girl!

And, in a certain sense, the internet is even MORE conducive to fight-mongering than the rest of the world -- namely, the fact that people are just pixels, and don't really have faces or meaningful physicalities.
    This is the same thing that makes "road rage" happen: People are MUCH more likely to explode with anger when they CAN'T SEE THE FACES of the people with whom they're having a conflict. Really -- if we forced people to Skype with everyone they were having a flame-war with, then, a lot of the flame-wars would die down pretty fast.

But... I mean, I dunno about you, but, for me there's a LOT of positive on this site, too.
    I came here at Christmastime just to kill some time, because I was stuck in a hospital with some family for 40 hours. But, I'm still here, because of the people and interactions.

I mean, just TODAY on here,
    • I've had someone tell me that something I wrote helped strengthen her will against suicide.
    • Someone said my advice looks like it might be turning around a relationship that looked doomed to fail.
    • Someone "gets" how parents feel about their kids a little more, because of some stuff I wrote.
    That's just TODAY, like, last few hours. Pretty cool stuff.

Since I signed up here, I've had a couple of people cite me as an inspiration for some pretty cool creative things they're doing... and one person even said that my advice/empathy/etc actually saved her LIFE.
    yep. that happened.
    <3

Also, I like being exposed to opinions from people I'd never meet in the real world, because they're from other countries or cultures, or they're much younger or older, or they're just from different walks of life. It's a growth experience for me, too.

For the most part, I don't bother with the stupid fights, because I don't have the time.
    Exceptions made for some "witty banter"-type exchanges of SHORT, quick one-liners. Those are fun, and they don't take all fuckin' day. LOL

It's fun, and surprisingly rewarding.
    I also have a pretty overwhelming physical presence, so, it's cool to just be a bunch of words for once in mah damn life. Srsly. I like the challenge of having to prove myself without just... standing there, above everyone's heads.

• Nope just for troll!

• My darling, the Internet is the place for argumentative people.

• Any online social media site is all about the exchange of ideas. How those exchanges go are up to you.

• The argumentative people don't bother me, it's the creepers which irritate me

• Some people get off on arguing online
    It's weird

• i'm not argumentative, i just love talking to people. i like giving unwanted opinions on everything and reading other people's perspectives. even if i 'debate' it's not arguing it's just friendly banter and trying to convince people of things i believe in. gag is a place for in text extroverts who like asking and replying to questions.

• I'm not argumentative, I just speak my mind. Some people on here do find it hard to appreciate different opinions from their own though.

• Debate isn't the same as an argument.

• Well a debate is made up of arguments (in the original sense of the word). You put forth arguments in a debate. A discussion on the other hand need not consist of people putting forward "a reason or set of reasons given with the aim of persuading others that an action or idea is right or wrong", it can merely be an exploration.

• No they are not synonyms so we are talking at cross purposes. A logical argument is not the same as having an argument. A logical argument involves premises and conclusion whereas having an argument involves a disagreement of some kind. Debate involves opposition but it isn't the same as having an argument with someone. As Tromba points out arguments usually involve emotion whereas debate comes from a point of reason. Arguments involve rhetoric, debates dialectic.

• I love myself a good debate. :)

• Sometimes it's people who just like to argue, but other times people comment because they feel like they need to stand up for their beliefs. For example, someone who posts something like "this is why being gay is wrong," then clearly that poster is just trying to start an argument since they know it's controversial. People who comment on that post may just be argumentative and feed into it, or they might feel like they need to stand up to hate so that's why they comment.

• How is that obviously trying to cause a stir? Saying that being gay is okay is equally as controversial. Why wouldn't you think something like that is obviously trying to cause problems? Having an unpopular opinion doesn't mean that opinion is invalid, unimportant, or just trying to be an ass. All it means is you think differently than most people.

• My point is that doesn't mean their intention is for the shear sake of causing trouble. They have an opinion and they want to share it. Choosing to share it isn't the same as shouting it out to the world. Most of the takes written are very clear about what they're going to discuss. They have no control over who chooses to read it. There is fair warning in the title alone, if someone gets pissed off it's their own fault. They knew what it would be about and chose to read on. No one forced them to they did it willingly.

• We might be talking about different takes then, because usually you can tell from the way they write, their tone, and how they respond to others that they're clearly just trying to cause an argument. Also, as I've said before, what is the point of sharing that opinion on this specific site? if you just want to share an opinion, why don't you do it on facebook or twitter? If you know that people are going be angry about what you write, then yes you are starting an argument.