How many GAGers feel that the ability of people to be anonymous is being misused?

• Yes it's being misused, but anonymity is essential whenever someone wants it.
  • Yes it's being misused, but anonymous posting should be restricted to some degree (explain how).
  • Yes it's being misused. Anonymous posters should not be allowed to post MyTakes
  • No. it's not being misused.
Anonymity is important, without it the United States could not have been formed. At the same time, it is subject to abuse because we are all anonymous to a degree here anyway. Additional anonymity just allows people to avoid taking responsibility for their positions.

That said, I would propose a filter to filter out anons if you wish, as proposed by @CheerGirl38139, and limits to the percentage of your posts that could be anonymous.
@Mustachekitteh
Has suggested that anons not be able to block other people.

Most Helpful Girl

• I want anon to be available to people who are shy or who have been problems on the site. I don't like it when people use it to be trolling asshats though.

I'd like to see at least two changes made to the anonymous feature:
    -Anonymous posting should be a privilege that's earned. Users should be at least level 2 before being able to post anonymously.

- Moderators should be report anonymous accounts at least and be able to freeze them ideally. I've spent entire evening chasing down the same anonymous poster. I don't like spending my time doing that. It's boring.

Most Helpful Guy

• I voted B. I don't think it should be okay that someone who blocked you can still be allowed to answer anything you post and I'm not supposed to have access to their content or profiles.

What Girls Said 13

• It gets used way too often to troll in a variety of ways.

I have advocated to a filter for users to filter out anonymous questions if they choose to.

I don't think it would ever happen, but they could also limit the number of anonymous posts per day (the same way the number of questions are limited now) - that might make people use the feature with more discretion.

• Yes, the feature is misused for trolls to hide behind anonymity. I like the idea of the feature, though. It's good for when people still want to share or ask about things that are highly personal.

• What I don't get is why users are going anon to ask questions like:
    "Do you like cats?"
    What is your favorite color
    Let's play a gag game
    Favorite gager?

• I don't think it's misused as it was thought for cowards and is used by cowards. ALWAYS.

• Most of the worst trolls seem to make phony accounts, anyway. Anon is nice to have when people don't want to get spammed with messages because they shared something sexual or perhaps an unpopular political opinion.

• I think it is being misused, and if it was limited how many times a day you could go anon would really help.
    Then it'd be saved for those who're embarrassed about their opinion or it's really unpopular.

• I want to be able to block some anon's that are huge unintelligent cunts.

• That or make it so anon's can't block other people.

• It's extremely annoying to be blocked by then and then try to comment on someone's question. Then it tells you that your blocked by them.

• I personally believe that it's stupid to actually give a fuck that people use the anon option. I don't see why it's such a big deal.

• Yes it definitely being abused. I think GAG should have limit to how many anon comments a member can post.

• The power of going anon is sometimes abused by trolls, yes, but it's still helpful. Like when I want to respond to a sexual question but don't want creepy messages after. Then it's real convenient.

• even tough it can be misused it is essential that people can use it when they feel it is necessary for them.

• Make me so mad.
    😠😡👿

• I think the pros far outweigh the cons here.

What Guys Said 8

• Yes, I believe that is being misused to a great extent.

• I really irks me when people complain about anonymity and people 'not showing face' or 'hiding behind their monitor', calling them cowards, etc. They're just mad that they can't shame people they don't like or who disagree with them. It's an attempt to silence people through the threat of ostracism and shaming, which personally I find to be just a dick move. I say stop being so butthurt, there is no need for people to take responsibility for their positions. It really annoys me, this desire to know people's identities so we can attack their social standing is just amazingly cunty to me.

Anonymous internet is best internet.

• Yes, it's being misused, where it concerns non personal questions or answers. But anonymity is essential whenever someone wants it for personal questions and answers.
    I'll often refrain from answering an anonymous question or even a private profile question. How can I help knowing zilch about the asker if the question is unclear?

• Option 1 it's benefits to people outweigh the trolling tbh.

• I think anonymous posting can be misused, but it's still important to some degree. I mean, I post anonymously when I want to say something that I don't want people that know me to see, or that people would judge me on because of my age. But there are definitely some people on GAG and other websites that misuse anonymity for sure.

• Well, your age (less than 18) is included to some degree anyway, but thank you for answering.

• How can it be misused? Someone wants to hide their user name. By ticking the check box they are able to hide their username. There's Nothing more to say about it.

• There are many waysbit can be abused. People can posts abusive messages. They can make abusive comments. They can post oolls and MyTakes, then silence any opposing views without having to respond or even allow other people's voices to be heard. There are other ways the anon fuction can be abused, that I will not list.

• Well for one thing you can't really block anons.

• yeah sometimes... but you can still report the bad ones, the admins see through it

• It is misused, but not in the sense that you are thinking of. I've seen many pics posted by guys and girls of themselves and posted as Anonymous. WTF?