Do you think blocking someone is a sign of weakness?

Like, when somebody blocks people regularly over anything, do you think it's an indication of the person's weak tolerance and/or sensitivity? I know for me, I hardly ever block anybody unless they troll me just to be a bully, but I have been blocked many, many times, and it makes me feel like I have more power really, that something you said or something about you bothered somebody that much that they had to block you. It says they're not very strong. I also sort of embrace being blocked and enjoy it in some weird sense, I don't know why. But what do you guys think?

Most Helpful Girl

• You are too intelligent for them.
    I block those idiots who cannot read and think i am personally talking about them and spreading delusional hate. But we never met in life. So how can words hurt them cos we dont know they are?

• Exactly. I think it hurts them because deep down they must see themselves in something we say, and it makes them uncomfortable. But that's not our problem.

• @abundantlyrich I know right? I thought the same thing, lol.

• That reptilian English is always trailing me. :P

Most Helpful Guy

• I think these are the type of people who just don't want argument. The type of people who likes to say their opinion because they think it's right but doesn't want anyone else to oppose to it... Me? I'm different. I like to hear the other side because to me argument is a form of learning. A process of countering thoughts until the one that's most logical one come out victorious... That's why I don't block people too.

Now these type of people who blocked are not interested in that. They want to stay in the fantasy that they are right all the time and opposing counter argument makes them irritant. That's dumb.

• Woooooaaah, dude! That is EXACTLY the same way I see it! You might get MHO, bro :-)

• (disc closed Ionly 3rd look to this Q) for me it depends long discussion but for very most cases it's not about who is weak and who not. It's diversion and behind your eys making you weaker and weaker and weaker...

Imagine now with block function you can filter REAL persons who not match your personality and make you uncomfortable.
      Real Mumuland, yes?

Try ingnore instead of blocking someone. After time, mind will show you how to strikeback. U can count on that Use block only as last resort like mail bombing no for 1 msg/day or something like that., Don't panic, do not run before the dog ;)

• @ Opinion Owner: You DESERVED that MHO.

What Girls Said 18

• sign of pussiness

• well lessee here

s24.postimg.org/.../..._2016_04_14_at_01h30_27.png

Yeah, I'm chillin'
    LOL

I am not obsessed with having the last word, so, that helps, too.

But, as for why tf we can't see a list of people BY WHOM we've been blocked... please someone explain that one to me, tyvm?

• If they're blocking you because you said something they didn't like or they're too much of a pussy to hold their own then ya, obviously. If they're blocking out of sexual harassment, etc. then nope.
    I got blocked by a pansy just earlier today lol

• Yes, I do. I don't block anyone.

• I block a lot of creepy indians that send friend request followed by messages. But Yes I did block my ex and his new girlfriend and anybody linked to them. Only because my ex kept finding out/searching for information about me. So I took that privilage away the best to my control. He left me so he has no right to my what, where, when, who. What I do now is none of his business anymore.

• yeah i do, especially when they want to get the last word. it just proves they're a wimp.

• It really depends on what the situation is. I haven't blocked anyone... yet but that might change soon

• No, I don't think it is. Sometimes, I just don't care to have stupid, ignorant, and/or crude annoying me life. Even trivially, such as in a place like this.

It doesn't mean I block people for disagreeing with me, even when they're obviously wrong, as you well know.

• For silly reasons, yes, I think it is in a way. However, for people who get harassed constantly through comments and messages, blocking people may become necessary.

• Nope. Not always. I never back down from a good REASONABLE debate. I hate those last word hit and run blockers.

BUT...

I now find it sometimes useful as preventive maintenence for my GaG productivity.

Sort of like going ahead and taking a pepto before you eat Taco Bell. Cuts down on the amount of 💩

• Nah, I block people who consistently message me when I don't respond and have no intention of responding.

• When it's done for the dumbest things, yes. Like I've had words with quite a few people here and I haven't blocked them. I find myself blocked by people that I never even interacted with!

• I used to be blocked by more people than I could count who I never met on Experience Project before. So weird.

• Yeah I mean maybe I've said something that rubbed them the wrong way? I have blocked people for that but that's because the statements they made were racist.

• These people have no sense humour, can't handle someone disagreeing with them and think everything is a trigger.

• It depends on the conversation

• If i blocked someone not because i don't like them or something it is because he did something that made me lose respect to him and i no longer want to talk to them ever again.

• I think it really depends. Blocking someone over small things does make you seem like a weak person as opposed to dealing with it.

I, personally, have only ever blocked one person in my whole life (on FB) and it was someone I knew in real life. She had been causing drama for awhile because she was jealous of my friends and even stalked them at one point. It was not until she caused a public scene that I decided I needed to end it. She cursed me out and screamed at me in front of my brothers middle school, as I waited in my car in the school parking lot for him, all because I ignored her call.

I had ignored it because she was giving me a hard time for hanging out with my best friend and was pissed that I didn't invite her. Even though I was not close with her. Her behavior towards me in public was immature, it was out of jealousy, and it completely crossed the line. I decided that I needed her out of my life right then and there. So I blocked her number and blocked her off of Facebook. It is the best decision that I have ever made to this day.

So I believe that blocking someone can either be a strong move or a weak one, but it all depends on the situation.

• I see it as jealousy, insecurity, and trying to hide both with bravado. If a guy tires to block another, im more likely to go with the blockee and tell the blocker to screw off

• I blocked my ex because I wanted to move on and he was a jerk. I regret nothing!

What Guys Said 21

• i instantly think less of a person that blocks me just because their feelings get hurt. i'm not the most agreeable person, but i'll generally give a reasonable argument if it comes to that. i won't say the user, but he's well known, start an argument with me on my opinion and then got mad at me for backing said opinion... it's just like, come on. i don't care that you blocked me, but at least if you're gonna do it, it's because i actually did something to you. and then another notable user blocked me because i happened to not agree with 2 of her takes in a row so she got mad and thought i was stalking her... not my fault she writes mytakes like every 3 minutes

• I think I know the girl you're talking about. If it's the same one, then she blocked me the other day too.

• Ohhhh. Then no, those aren't the ones. BeeNee is kind of annoying, yeah. And RJGraveyTrain. But it was SweetHomicidalQueen who blocked me. Couldn't handle the truth. As is usually the case with the weak *shrugs*

• i don't mind rjgravytrain... she's just there. sweethomicidalqeen gives some of the dumbest takes and gets butthurt easily, but i just roll with it. the only thing about it, though, is I don't know if she's serious or joking and i just get dat swaggy p face when people are like "good mytake" or "i agree". then again, i think 80% of this site are the same 10 people and/or robots and/or just agree with what everyone says

• @MaskedSanity has this written on her profile.
    "By blocking me you are admitting that you cannot handle being scrutinized for your poor actions and bestow victory upon me in our argument.

Thank you for admitting intellectual inferiority."

Preach.

• Over nothing can be a weakness. However, the people that get so butthurt over being blocked also have a weakness.

• Also a good point!

• i don't mind getting blocked, but i hate getting blocked and not knowing who blocked me. cause sometimes i'll write killer answers only to find out i'm blocked. or when they block you immediately after they give a response just to have last word. that's when i get pissed

• @Other_Tommy_Wiseau Oh, I totally understand that one! Lol.

• My view on this would be the user's behaviour like if you go into a gunfight there will be shots fired. I think there are two sides to a lot of these arguments and while some people love the drama, it wouldn't be my cup of tea that said the preemptive (last word) blocking seems very annoying. I would love to go through my whole time on GaG without being blocked or having to block but that ship has sailed.

• 9 times out of 10 it's the act of a sniveling half-wit.

• obviously!

when a person blocks you is obviously because that person is too ignorant/chicken shit to keep an argument going. I should know because if I have to make an estimate I say 9 out of the 10 people who have blocked me in my five years on this site have nothing but bigot feminists who get anal migraine every time you tell them the truth

• Exactly how I feel about that as well. If you feel like you need to block someone for not agreeing with you, I honestly think you are not very confident in your arguments.
    However for harassment or something like that (what blocking is actually meant for) it's a different story obviously.

• Nothing says "I don't have the balls to settle things with words" more than blocking someone.

Not speaking of cases where there is harassment tking place.

• Generally yes. I've never blocked anyone, if you dont have a strong enough opinion to back it if someone doesn't like it, you should just keep your mouth shut.
    I just see boocking as admitting defeat, I dont really like doing that.

• Well, it depends on the situations. It can be seen as a sign of a person being strong enough to take the decision to block the other person.

I would say some people indeed deserve to be blocked.

• Blocking the other person does not require any strength. It requires much more strength to be an adult and not let somebody bother you.

• I never blocked people even through there are many people on here that are very foolish.

• no.
    I've always tried to not block people, but lately I've done it more often because the idiots and trolls take the fun away. of course, I don't block people for no good reason

• so you're not a man, and don't get people can refer to you how they want?

• so you have asperger's or something, and really believe people HAVE to be nice to you? cool.

• @cafeSOL I think you are the one who didn't get my point. or you're trolling with me and I don't get it... either way, I don't have to say anything else about it

• Not really. I block people that bother or insult me, why does that make me weak? And even if it does, I don't give a shit...

• No, its a sign of they dont want to deal with onea fuckery.
    I haven't blocked anyone and chancea are I won't.

• Nope not really though there are exceptions to that.

• Yes.
    Harassment.
    Deal with it.

• And why?
      Let your friends deal with it for you is better I think. Of course if there is no catch what can be disclosed and you dont want it ;)

• Maybe but not always

• I don't know but I do know that when I block someone it's not me being weak. Its because i refuse to put up with annoyance or bothersome people on the Internet.

• no. it's only strangers, and in life people don't really owe you their time...

• @asker and why do you care what people here do? is this how you behave in real life? you demand people associate with you? loolol FOOL.

• No, it just shows that person that you really don't care what they think if anything. It's a way of saying, "Hey, you're being a nuisance so f*** off."

• It depends who you really are. But if u take it as training and ignore instead of blocking, then after some time your mind show you how strikeback. You can count on that

• @q337krew I suppose so, but sometimes people don't leave you alone and it just becomes boring after a while. Blocking is a way of saving yourself the trouble and just cutting off the source of someone annoying. Although at the same time, there are times where I am blocked because people pick internet fights with me and I am one hell of a debater/writer. Some people also block because they can't handle being wrong (both on the internet and in real life).

• nope its not