Do people assume all gag users are American?

Some dude just asked me if I would pursue a more financially lucrative position in Canada. Fuck yes, I would. I'm fucking Canadian you broom closet!

Does this ever happen to you?

• Yes, that happens to me
  • No, that has never happened to me

Most Helpful Guy

• Ya'know... I've hardly met anyone who wasn't from America in person before... I didn't live in the sort of place that people visit from other countries (or anyplace that people wound up living in by design), and I've only been far enough outside of the US as was necessary to go under Niagara Falls... I'd like to travel someday, but... right now, even at the age of thirty, Americans are just about all I know... So ya, that does tend to be my first impulse, to assume that other people I meet online are American, as has always been the case irl...

*shrug*

Most Helpful Girl

• Lmao yeah. That has happened to me before. Someone also assumed I was black (when I didn't have a profile pic) and accused me of "pulling the race card" or something when we were arguing about racism. Lol.
    And someone else also tried to force the whole house-with-a-white-picket-fence-American-lifestyle when I talked about living in an apartment. Because apparently apartments are shit and the only way to actually live is to get an actual house. I'm just like lol no... fuck that, I don't need an entire house and I've lived in an apartment my entire life. Pff.

• I agree with you on the apartment/condo front. Why would I want to take care of a yard when I have the option not to? Why would I take full financial responsibility for a property when I have the option to let someone else do that?

• Right? And who needs that much space anyway?

• People with too much crap!

What Guys Said 32

What Girls Said 20

• I think it's common on websites of any nationality to assume that the majority of other users are of that website's nationality unless otherwise stated. Like GaG uses the American spellings so we know it's an American website.

But like yeah it really only makes sense for you to stay in Canada. If you came down here to work can you imagine how much you'd be paying in taxes and then you'd be paying for your health insurance twice so that would be a huge waste. It'd just be a wasteful disaster.

• Even though I say I'm mexican most of the times, people still think I'm a native English speaker... I don't know if they think I'm American or not (I'd be insulted if that was the case) but they assume I'm not mexican.

This lovely poem goes to the lovely muricans <3 Love you all

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CbbxAyZW0AAx3-_.jpg

• The amount of times I've been in debates on here only for the opposition to assume I'm American or even from a first world country is too damn high!

• No. I know this is an international site. It's really cool that it's like that.

• No, I don't assume that. I'm American, and I know there are many users from here, but the website is full of people from all over the world.

• I've noticed most are from The State's, The UK, Canada or India. A lot are band wagoning Antarctica and shhh.

• No clue, I always hope there are more people from other countries than Americans. :D

• People often recommend Brands or Restaurant chains that are American. I don't know what the fuck is traders Joe or whatever else you mention!

• Sometimes I know what they are, but I'm pretty sure we don't have them most of the time.

• a lot of people assume, maybe not just American but just european countries and australia. i don't think they've met a ton of people on the internet from africa...

• I don't know if most gagers do it but for the most part I do. I usually check their profile to be sure, but yeah I assume.

• Yep when i say that i am Georgian they think about U. S. But i am not American i am European Georgian.

• Yes it happens a lot in here.

• Nah. In don't assume that.

• Never thought that at all.

• I don't.

• Seems like they do lmao.

*chants* one of us. one of us. one of us.

• Well it was probably a scam so...

• maybe because the majority of the users here are American

• I'm an Aussie and proud