Do you actually read people's myTakes? How often? If not, why not?

We have some excellent writers here. Many of them are "editors" and some aren't. I've been offered to apply for editor a couple of times (supposedly for my content quality) - but I've yet to take GaG up on that offer. I do love to write, but I just don't feel like I have that much to say all that often.

Also, having written a couple of passionate myTakes in the past, I quickly realized how many GaGers just read the title and not the content, and respond accordingly, quite possibly missing the entire point.

So, the questions are... do you read myTakes at all? Only by certain people or concerning certain subject matter? Why or why not?

Please vote and elaborate on your choice.

• I never read myTakes, ever.
  • I only read myTakes once in a blue moon
  • I occasionally read myTakes when I'm up for it
  • I read quite a few myTakes because
  • I love reading tons of myTakes!
  • I only read myTakes by ___________ because
This is exactly what I was wondering. Seems like the majority of GaG is more or less "meh" regarding myTakes.

Most Helpful Guy

• I actually do read quite a bit of mytakes but I don't necessarily comment on all the ones I read. If it is a long mytake I don't have much interest in, I'll skim through it but won't comment. This also applies to very badly structured mytakes. For example, my patience runs thin when it is one big paragraph rant lol

I'll only say something about it if I strongly agree/disagree with something in it, need additional advice, or I want to clarify something. That probably means I read the mytake probably once and then fact checked it to compare to my response (to avoid being called out).

If I don't respond to a mytake, chances are I had a "meh" opinion on it and had nothing to say... Or I thought that by commenting my opinion OP was going to try and bring me into a big fight-- which I can tell by reading other comments first.

Unless it REALLY bothered me, I don't like to waste the effort getting into a fight that will probably not get anywhere. I saw a quote the other day on GAG that I think fits nicely in situations like these: "The ego justifies its own perversions."

• Bruh you are way too logical and sensible to be here. LOL. :)

• Hahaha I'm just a person who tends to write long as crap opinions. I am awful at concise responses xD

Most Helpful Girl

• Most of them are too long. Commenting on them in general, the same insecure nut cases to most of the takes. Pavlov is an example. He obviously doesn't have a life other than being on this website. And if he claims he does there is absolutely no way he has the time to have a life. And what he says he looks up. It is not really his take

What Guys Said 20

• I wrote a couple in the early stages and was made editor even without asking. But then they wanted me to write more and stated the requirments to maintain that title and I wrote back and said I could not write myTakes that often so they should just take it back.
    Now I see so many myTakes on here that are about worthless things or are written about interesting things but by people who really have little to share about the topic. So I find few are really worth putting the time out for.

• IMHO the whole myTake system doesn't work.

They just sort of bounce around and then vanish from site just like any other question. It's not worth the time of writing one.

We would need some sort of library of myTakes sorted by upvotes by topic to make it work.

• Good point. They do get lost quickly unless they're getting lots of replies. Of course you can filter your feed to show only takes 🙋

• i read mytakes sometimes. i rarely read the entire thing, though. too many words, but i read enough to get the general gist. the problem with a lot of mytakes is that they just aren't that good. like, the writing is good. the context of what people write is generally consistent and fine. it's just usually the takes are flat out wrong. like, take your boy pavlove. his takes are fairly well written, actually, and the topic isn't that bad... it's just shitty advice. and it's not just him, it's a lot of people on a lot of takes

• LOL is that why he's afraid of moderators?

• no idea. that's the other thing. it's the same thing with the moderators and editors. like, i'd like to think if they're moderators or editors, they'd give really good advice and shit... that's not the case. it's basically how many takes you can write in a week or whatever

• I must admit I do read a lot of my takes. How ever I may or may not comment on them solely based on either the quality and accuracy ( objective ) , coupled with my level of interest in said subject/ topic.

• I read ones that are relevant to me, my personal situation, or just because I'm interested in the subject. There has never been one single one I've disliked, although I've disagreed with some of the content of a few.

I think you should give it a try. If it's not for you, you can always resign from it. No one would think bad of you!

• I'll still write one once in a while, but the only reason I'd think about "editor" is to get that 48 hour editing capability for shit that you went back and smack yourself in the forehead for not catching before you publish. :)

• LOL! That's a good enough reason! I'm always doing that. Write something, post it, read it and think DOH! Stupid boy!

• Occasionally will read. Made the mistake of commenting after skipping the last paragraph of a specific take and completely missed where the editor was coming from. So if a take looks like too much than I'm willing to read, I'll just leave it alone now.

• My problem is that the takes look like questions when glancing. There isn't much visually to tell me it's a take on the feed.

• Depends on who wrote it and what its about.

• I am a mixture of E and F depending on time - F is based on friendship and people who interest me.

• almost never, I only read the ones that look interesting to me or the ones that look funny

• very rarely... I can count the ones I've actually read probably on one hand

• MyTakes are genrally too long and meander vs getting to the point.

• i rarely read mytakes and that too only if that mytake has caught my interest. But sometimes some mytakes are utter rubbish and after reading them i don't feel like reading mytakes anymore. So it totally depends on the previous mytakes quality

• I read some, I write some but I prefer to answer questions.

• Read some, but not very often.

• I watch ESPN first take

• I do. Although most are younger than me, they have some great insights and are quite good writers.

• I read them now and then, if it interests me and I'm not in a tl;dr mood.

• I just voted cuz there was a pole in my side pane. Felt like commenting to prove as much lol

• Barely ever. They make it too long and about shit I don't care about

What Girls Said 17

• Pertaining to you not accepting the editor status,
    I didn't even know people were "asked" it was something that was just given to me.
    I guess they must have changed it and figured that not everyone wants to be an editor.
    Anyway, I've been a writing since I was very young.
    I've always been expressive with my words as a pre-teen.
    I have a lot to say, and it shows by the number of myTakes I write.
    I do read myTakes almost daily.
    Some I skim through to get a general idea.
    Others I read word for word.
    It really depends on the writer themselves, if they have the ability to pull me into their article or not.
    Not everyone is a great writer who does write.
    Those that are good, I tend to go back and read things by them more than just one time.

• I read myTakes occasionally. There are some good ones that are shared. It's just not something I pay attention to as often as the questions.

• I actively avoid mytakes unless they're by someone I know and like. They're usually rage inducing and so poorly moderated, which is odd to me since the admins basically have to approve every take...

• I read some of them, if it's on a topic that I'm already interested in.

• I read a few when I know I have the time. You are correct, there are some great writers here. I especially like reading yours and @Stacyzee. Generally subject matter that I find interesting and always well written.

• I can only read them if I have enough focus to read them that day. Other wise I won't because it's too much.

• I usually read the ones that show up in my feed. I've read a lot of really good ones and some not so good ones. As someone who writes, it's nice to read pieces from others. Everyone has their own little style.

• I'm an editor so I only read mine XD

• The vast majority of the takes I have read here have been extremely biased. Some are too vague and some are extremely detailed that I get bored to tears while reading them. Writers here need to be more succinct and straightforward about their views.

• I read a couple occassionally , but its mostly when one grabs my attention.

• i read myTakes if i click on them lol worst case i read the first half n realize the title/picture was totally misleading and the actual content was not interesting at all in my opinion

• Most mytakes are abject nonsense, so I stopped reading them right after I found this site.

• If it catches my eye I will read a myTake.

• I read a few..
    I only click on it though of the picture and title interested me so..
    Yeah if I do click on it I'm readingit

• I read the occasional one that piques my interest.

• If the title is catchy then yes i read them.

• Nope xD