I feel like GAG sucks now?

Ask a question and it gets 1 answer. The instant message function a few years ago was genious, really fun, but now thats gone too. Not to mention I get 100 notifications for things that barely matter like someone else posting a question, 50 reminders to select MHO, etc. It's really annoying because I used to use GAG all the time and the community used to be really helpful. Seriously though, in the last year I can't think of 1 question that has gotten more than 4 replies.

Most Helpful Guy

• Supposedly their logic is that, based on their data, a question is unlikely to get any new responses if it has already been 48 hours without any new activity. I believe they've recently bumped it up to 72 hours since people were complaining.

What was the instant message feature like?

Im pretty sure you can uncheck those boxes in your preferences so you dont get notifications for things you dont care about. Personally I like the one that notifies me when someone posts on an opinion that I have also posted on. Its great if you're talking to an anon user since they can't mention you.

Most of my questions as well as the questions I see on the main feed seem to get more than 4 replies.

Most Helpful Girl

• Eh, the site has its pros and cons. I am still fine with it, which is why I'm still here. It is what you make of it really in my mind. You can fix your notifications, though. If you go to your "Settings" tab under your profile, there is a section that allows you to choose what you want to receive notifications for or not.

As far as your questions not getting many responses, there may be a few reasons for that.
    - You are going anonymous. Users are more likely to answer questions with a profile attached to them. I understand there are posts with sensitive, personal information, so you might want to hide your identity, but still...
    - You are not giving enough information/details with your question. It can be hard for readers to give advice if we do not know specifics.
    - You are writing too much for your details. Long walls of text are overwhelming to the eyes. Try to add paragraph breaks, but, even then, it may be too much for some people to want to read.
    - You have too many grammatical or spelling errors in what you have written. That does not seem to be an issue with you based on this question, but can be a problem for others.

Hopefully, that helps you a little bit, at least with the notifications!

• Yeah, the wall of text kills it. Everything else i can deal with, but no line breaks makes it difficult to read or understand.

• @Cosytoasty Oh, yeah, I'm definitely with you there. I skip over those questions myself.

What Guys Said 5

• Well, you are actually right, even I do find part of the recent update annoying, that is like getting too many notification for things that doesn't matter to the user like you mentioned.

However a question getting replies, that really depends on the content of the question, the length and so on. Hence some questions may get one reply and some questions may get many replies

• If the question is a difficult one you can expect less answers. Or if it's in a less frequented topic.

What was your question?

• Tweak your settings to remove all those frivolous notifications... I did and my GaG experience is so much better.

I also very much miss the chat feature; in the next coming months an app for GaG is being released, so that is a viable substitute.

• you can alter your settings so that you get almost no useless notifications. I had to do that so i wouldn't get them so often. As for activity, i honestly don't believe its changed much. i still get a decent amount of answers for my questions, but i don't ask boring relationship questions that are usually accompanied with walls of text

• Change your settings
    by the way who are you 😶?

What Girls Said 1

• You can turn off notifications that you don't want to receive when you go to settings and scroll to the bottom of the screen.