What is with people and giving every response a thumbs up?

Why do those who host a question almost always go and give everyone a thumbs-up for their responses without giving a personalized response as for the reason why it was given in the first place? Do you do it just because you want to reward others for taking the time for respond? some other reason? Why?

It feels like a slap in the face when a host does this to me.

Most Helpful Girl

• Well yes it's to thank them for their participation. After all it would be annoying if no one answered. Your not the only that doesn't like it tho. Apparently doing it means I have no integrity. What do you want people to do, write a story about how amazing you are?

• Giving every response a thumbs up is the exact same as not answering... it's can't be considered feedback if it's devoid of all meaning by way of complete generic use.

If you're going to ask a question in the hopes that people give their time responding, a minimal amount of time should be expected in turn. However, that's not to say everyone deserves a response all of the time- I'm not talking about entitlement but rather fair trade.

Those who clearly put in some thought and/or time deserve at least that much.

• And if they put in both time and thought but what was said is in disagreement? If you don't find it interesting? I have the inclination that you'd ether ignore, probably inflame, or perhaps give a simple thumbs up (no response) to said individuals rather then give MHO.

• If someone says something uninteresting then yes I will ignore it. Not everyone puts thought into what they write. I enjoy discussing things with people I disagree with. That's one of my fav things about the site is to debate with people with diffrent views.

Most Helpful Guy

• I think most people do it because it is easy, it gives each responder 1 xper point and they are hoping that others will follow the same practice. Reward everyone and build points faster.

• Is a reward still a reward if everyone receives the same thing no matter the time, thought, or effort put into it? That doesn't seem like much of a reward in my opinion.

• I don't know if you read my response to DiogoRibero and that is why you said what you said, but I'd like to think it's not... so! Thanks for your time and dedication.

Thumbs up because it's deserved not because it's expected.

• Thank you and, no, I didn't read your responses to the other posters.

What Girls Said 3

• Its the law in the gag kingdom!

• Hypothetically speaking... what might be my punishment if I broke said laws of the gag kingdom?

• The law has now been broken.

Enforce your will upon me of great and magnificent queen of GAG- show me the error of my ways.

• i do it because i want to reward people for answering my question but i also reply to most of the opinions that intrigue me.

• I suppose that's fair but in the future, don't give me a thumbs up unless you feel I actually deserve it- I'll know if you do! the response does or does not follow will be the indication.

And if by the off chance you dislike any of my responses... please do give me a simple thumbs up and know that I'll be sitting here behind my computer screen feeling thoroughly reprimanded.

• There is no fun in murder... torture is the name of the game and I surely will if you do (do what?)

• if i like your opinion on accident when i agree with you

• It's like a thank you for answering

What Guys Said 2

• I think it's a way of acknowledging and thanking the opinion poster without having to actually writing something. But I know what you mean. ;)

1 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more