Why do you want downvotes?

Opinions should be discussed, not voted.

By making an upvote and downvote button you are making the value of opinions dependent on some votes, that might have no reasoning behind them whatsoever. You are making it a fame and infamy contest. The most popular and unpopular opinion contest.

Downvote function was abused by politically correct people and will be abused when it is back.

At least with the upvote system you know people either agree with you, which makes commenting on your opinion unnecessary so it is just a way to show how they feel and that you're not alone, not something to really value or devalue your opinion, or they don't care at all. But if they disagree, they need to put some effort into the disagreement they want to express and write a comment and argue. They can't devalue your opinion just by a click. And you don't have these 2 numbers of judgement beneath opinions that people try to keep them even by trying to be more politically correct.

Arguing is the real way to oppose an opinion, not voting. If you don't have anything to say or argue, you can simply accept and piss off.

I never even used the function when it existed. I used the upvote. Maybe I used downvote 5 times in the 2 year I used this site, and only after I wrote a comment.

People that hide behind downvotes without saying anything, are butthurt little shits. And I can't imagine anyone like having downvotes back, more than some butthurt little shits, who can't empty their shitty feeling of disagreement while having no reasoning behind it. They don't want to think, and they want the ability to judge and devalue too.

If you don't care enough to argue, then why do you want the ability to downvote and devalue opinions based on nothing? Just don't care and piss off. If you care, then put some effort into it and write a comment.

I don't like downvotes because my opinion can be judged and devalued without any actual reason.

Why do you like downvotes?

Most Helpful Guy

• If you want to bring the down votes back then show the users that downvoted

Most Helpful Girl

• it doesn't serve any other purpose other than to flame a war with one another... :P... But GAG is willing to listen to those who want it back.

What Guys Said 22

• If there are no downvotes, then make it fair and have no upvotes either. Or have both and be done with it. Simple.

• Heh you listen here, some of these people devote 18 hours a day organizing social cliques and bending to their will to maintain there groups happiness. They deserve to be able to gas light unsuspecting people with their down voting collaboration because someone has a different opinion than them. It doesn't matter if they are completely wrong, they have numbers and they should be able to show it and bully people every chance they get... lol

• you may not use the downvote button, but you've definitely been a fan of blocking people you disagree with, even if you''ve never even talked to before. So i don't consider you to be much different than the downvoters you're chastising here

• i swear you have the realest answers!

• I don’t block people that disagree with me. I block people that are unwilling or unable to argue with me. Why? time.

What do you want from me? To argue with you?

This is you
      www.girlsaskguys.com/.../a27119-five-reasons-why-i-would-be-happy-to-date-a-feminist

Ignoring people that call you out on your fallacious nonsense and answering people that agree with you. You talk like you're some open-minded intellectual.

no, you aren't. just another pseudointellectual with no in-depth knowledge, not even knowledge of basic reasoning actually, with a passive aggressive condescending behaviour.

Go argue with your sarcastic feminists, redefine terms for yourself and attract attention and feed your bubble ego and think you're an intellectual and enjoy.

You're free to answer my questions. I don't give a crap about you anyway. But don't try to show that you're some open minded mindful person and I have to necessarily allow you to talk to me to be considered mindful and

• open minded. I don't enjoy you. And you're nothing special to be missed.

• No, you don't really need a downvote button. I rarely use the upvote button, I mean it's not required, if you agree or disagree you can always post a comment to the user.

• First off if you think gag should be responses not votes then why shouldn't we get rid of the upvote.
    I get opinions should be discussed but the level of debate on GAG isn't the best. Also you can still downvote and respond.
    The thing is most people who disagree don't actually respond at least with the downvote you can see how many people didn't like it which I appreciated, I liked seeing how many people got salty. Wouldn't you say that with the downvote you also see who dislikes your opinion just like the opposite of the upvote. I wanna use the downvote and respond because sometimes I see people with a fair few upvotes and what I think is a really idea so I want to downvote and respond but I can't.

• If what your saying is all true well downvotes aren't around now and haven't been around for 5 months now and people still block others, trolls still exists, you can still troll by going anonymous, and most importantly getting rid of downvotes hasn't made people have more discussions on here.

• If people don't want to discuss, they shouldn't have any discussions.

And there is no link between trolls and blocking people with downvote function. That is an entirely different topic.

• That's not what most people think and most importantly that's why GAG admins got rid of downovtes they even admitted it themselves.

• Perhaps allow the use of downvote only if they give a response along with thr downvote.

• I'm new here, and this is not my website, but it is just unbalanced to be able to like something but not dislike something. Why should comments be necessary to explain a position for a dislike when they are not necessary to explain a like? Do you or does anyone else honestly think like buttons are not being abused? Even as we speak, some are using likes to lift themselves to incredible heights! I'd imagine dislike comments would be terrible compared to dislike buttons! Have anyone ever seen how a simple comment can burn down a whole forum? Yes, dislikes could be used to tear others and their opinions apart, but so to can the game be played by lifting certain people up to so high that those without likes might as well be torn apart. Not everything has to make sense or make sense to me, but those are my thoughts on the matter.

• Down votes just encourage passive aggressive pussies. End of discussion

• I treat down votes like a trophy in a simple and quantified matter. After all, if everyone just agrees with you, it's called a circlejerk.

• without reading that wall of text...

I don't want them back, but no matter on what my opinion is... they promised it, so they should bring them back. good or not.

• I'm kinda indifferent about it. There are other changes I care about more.

• Blah blah blah... OK here's why:
    People say stupid stuff and need to know when they do!! Thats whats on everyone's mind I just got the big brass balls to say it. So there now you know ;)

• and you are the most mindful person and the only person who's not stupid.

The feelings of every typical stupid person.

• Uh huh... *Marks off another for the itinerary* Piss off person who thinks their opinion is the only opinion that matters... Check :v

Finally my work here today is done. please cut the crap. There is a huge amount of users that want the down vote back for obvious reasons. Hate all you want.

And you trying to make them look bad makes you no different… good luck with that.

• I enjoy making easily butthurt people butthurt.

• It is not about getting butthurt really. have you been on the site when there was a downvote function? It gets abused by circle jerks all the time. My own opinions got 8-9 downvotes each for being blunt and politically incorrect for a period of time. I got infamous as hateful and racist. Did and do I care? no. Did I get less interested to post? yes.

getting heavily downvoted doesn’t really make you butthurt. It just makes you less and less interested to post instructive blunt opinions and more interested to just troll and joke around. Because you simply see people are uninterested. At the same time they label you too.
      You post a post with quotes from a 1000 year old history book, post 5 links to books, the kind of sources you post on your university forums discussing with your friends and professor. Result is 20 downvotes without any comments and 5 people nagging and name calling you. Does it make you butthurt? Not really. They are the ones that have gotten butthurt

• It does make anyone less interested to post instructive opinions when they are downvoted without reason, because they cared enough to post yet people don't care enough to argue upon disagreeing. that's natural. It doesn't make you care, it makes you care less. know the difference.

• Why do you care about the votes though? You should be paying attention to the comments. Forget the upvotes and the downvotes and you will enjoy it more.

I get how you would become disinterested when met with negative comments, often unworthy of response, but votes should have nothing to do with that if you are not butthurt.

• there should be no up votes either
    Just opinions
    and when someone wants to discuss a certain opinion thats why there is a comment section

• Poor you.

• It's sort of what made G@G fun,
    I loved it when my upvote : downvote ratio was like... 1:10

• Bro this should be published 😱😂.

• Well, because if some random person just happened to write something that is completely unrelated to it's question, really badly written and or insulting I should have the choice to rate this question as bad.

• I guess some people are too lazy to comment, so they prefer to just vote/downvote

• just cause

What Girls Said 7

• Seeing how people freaked out and felt entitled to downvote is great proof that most of the site users are Bernie supporters

• I'm tired of seeing all the arguing. Let people blow off a little steam and move on instead starting flamewars everywhere.

• To me it's butthurt to not want the downvote, and the fact some people are that sensitive to being downvoted is pathetic. So someone didn't like your opinion, so what? It simplified disagreeing the same way up voting simplifies agreeing. You don't always have to explain why you agree with someone, the same way you are not obligated to explain why you disagree. I downvoted shitty advice or replies, that downvote is self explanatory. If I felt like elaborating on that downvote, I did.

• No keep the up vote!

• I don't. I hope they don't bring em back.

• How else can we release our pent up frustration and hatred? I loved the downvote

• They make things more accurate