Community Event Question: Want to Ask Natasha Tracy About Suicide, Bipolar, or Depression?

Community Event Question: Want to Ask Natasha Tracy About Suicide, Bipolar, or Depression?You may recall last week's interview with Natasha Tracy, which was sort of a response to the GaG community.

As most of you know, questions concerning suicide are iffy and we have removed them in the past for various reasons. However, we wanted to get an expert on the subject who would be willing to discuss this difficult topic, as well as bipolar disorder and mental illness/wellness in general.

Therefore, Natasha has offered to come on in and answer your questions, and this includes questions you might be hesitant to ask friends and family, and even questions you're reluctant to post here. So, leave your questions in the comments below and Natasha will be in at 6 p. m. EST on Wednesday to answer them. But feel free to leave your questions any time before that!

Disclaimer: Bear in mind that this is a one-time-only event where you're free to discuss suicide and things of that nature. After, we maintain the policy that such posts shouldn't be public. Thanks for understanding! :)

Most Helpful Girl

• How can you prevent yourself from having panic attacks for no reason at all, sometimes it gets so bad the only thing that feels good is imagine my own death... the problem is it gets really bad to the point where my actions are no longer my wants. Yes I do go to thearpy and recieve medication.
    Second question what do you do when you have low energy?

• Tips I have found help me out: avoid toxic coworkers as much as possible, avoid deep fried foods, eat plenty of bananas, dark chocolate, and guacamole, take Centrum, keep your windows open often, fresh air, and find as many constructive outlets for stress as possible. Keep your place clean, and if you are cleithrophobic like me, always make sure you have a way out of any situation before you go in.

Traps, especially the metaphorical ones, are absolutely destructive to mental well-being. Lack of vitamin D, iron, and potassium will also mess you up fast. And mind your triglycerides too. Mine tend to get too high very easily.

• Apple24,

Regarding low energy. There are many reasons why your energy could be low. You may be low on certain vitamins like B complex or iron, you maybe in a sugar low or you may not be getting enough sleep. The best thing you can do is chart your energy for a couple of weeks and then take that information to a doctor who can run tests and see what the possible causes are.

- Natasha Tracy
      - natashatracy. com

• Note: there is more on the treatment of panic attacks here: emedicine.medscape.com/.../287913-treatment

- Natasha Tracy
      - http://natashatracy.com

Most Helpful Guy

• This is a question for both the admin above and our Expert.

Is gag really not the place to talk about this? We have people who have lived through it, dealing with it, dealt with it. You have an incredibly adept moderation team. Removing comments and opinions can affect that person emotionally, making the whole experience seem bleak as they reach for something.

People and children are exposed to some awful things on the internet including How-to's on ways to take their own life. Having more resources especially ones such as GAG becomes exponentially helpful. Most people consider calling or chatting with a suicide hotline shameful gag is anonymous.

In this day in age, those on the fringes don't have many to talk to, they can repeatedly call a suicide hotline, sometimes even falsifying they do it just to chat. Why not allow that more or better support here? If you are familiar with the study by Dr. Bruce Alexander during the 1970's otherwise known as Rat Park, then you will see what I am getting at. www.brucekalexander.com/.../148-addiction-the-view-from-rat-park

• "People and children are exposed to some awful things on the internet"

Yes, they are, and that's our problem. You're thinking that someone who comes here and asks for help will get all kinds of kind support but let's face it, that may not happen. It's even likely that the person seeking help will be mocked or worse, because you CAN be anonymous here and people are even more likely to say terrible things.

No, this is the kind of thing that needs guidance and expert assistance, which we really can't provide. It's almost inevitable that if you post about killing yourself on any open forum, you will see some unbelievably horrid replies. Now, if you had a closed or private forum of people who knew and respected each other, that'd be a different thing, but GaG is all about public, all about freedom.

And in the case of suicide issues, that simply results in far more problems. Trust me, us removing suicide content is just as much for the poster as it is for us.

• Can you elaborate?

• @OrdinaryGentleman "Then include a suicide prevention line, email and website below." That information IS sent in the message to users when we remove posts for 'suicidal tendencies' so they can get the help they need instead of relying on random people online who aren't trained to prevent suicide. The exact message they receive actually says: "Your post has been removed because we are concerned for your safety and would like to help you. The trained counselors at the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline are available 24/7 by calling 1-800-273-TALK (8255). The call is free and confidential. We hope that you can remain safe and continue to reach out. Please do not do anything to hurt yourself. To learn more about the Lifeline, visit http://www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org."

What Girls Said 5

• Only kinds of questions I have on this type of thing is my own adhd/asd, though that's a mental disorder.

So here's a question, how can people deal with feeling like they are a burden to their family because of their mental illness or disorders?

• Hi Mustachekitteh,

Thank you for your question. Many people with mental illness (or with any other chronic disorder) often feel like a burden because they need to lean on others due to their own difficulties. I can understand why you might feel that way. But consider this:

If someone in your family needed you, would you consider them a burden? If someone treated you the way you currently treat your family, would you resent him or her?

My guess is that, no, you wouldn't find them a burden because when we love someone, this is what we do for them -- we support them when he or she needs it.

But if you're really concerned that your family feels that way then talk to them about it. There is no harm in checking in with them and just saying, "Hey, I know I've been counting on you a lot lately, is that okay? Is there anything I can do differently to make it easier for you?"

More in a moment.

• Mustachekitteh,

That second question is important because it shows that you are taking responsibility for your own needs and actions. Maybe there _is_ something you can do that will help make it less difficult on them. Hopefully that is something they can tell you.

Finally, if you need to lean on people a lot, that's okay, but try to spread it around and not rely on only one person. Perhaps find a support group so that you can lean on some people there and not just your family.

I hope that helps.

- Natasha Tracy
      - natashatracy. com

• "6 p. m. on Wednesday"

lol is the whole world in one time zone now?

• I don't know how to manage my anger. When I'm around family, I'm so mad and people could tell. I get headaches when people like them talk to me. I can never take a joke, I take it to serious and end up making them feel bad. I can't control the rude things I say. Then all of a sudden I'm emotional, begin to cry, think about my death, and I feel hopeless and worthless. I don't take medication or go to therapy, but I don't know what makes me act this way?

• Hi Anonymous,

Thanks for your question. In truth, there could be almost any reason you are acting that way. It could be a previous experience/trauma, it could be life stress, it could even be a mental illness -- or it could be something else entirely. It's impossible to say.

What you really need to do is to sit down with a therapist and explore these issues because they may be complex but a professional can help you through them. You don't have to feel like this forever but you will likely have to reach out for help to feel better.

I wrote about bipolar and anger this week and you may want to look at the article. It's not exactly the same, obviously, but there are tips in the article you may find useful: www.healthyplace.com/.../

- Natasha Tracy
      - http://natashatracy.com

• Hi folks. My name is Natasha Tracy and I'll be answering your questions today.

I have been writing about my experience with bipolar disorder for 13 years and been a professional mental health writer for six years. You can find my work on my site, natashatracy. com, as well as on HealthyPlace. com and on The Huffington Post, among other places.

I am well-versed in many areas of mental health and mental illness and will endeavour to answer any question you may have.

• What are natural remedies for middle to major SAD?

It's just annoying having to deal with constant tiredness and loss of energy and suicidal thoughts.
    I can't go to therapy due to economical reasons; also i don't want to receive medication because i don't need those chemicals inside of my body.

So what could some natural tips be, to bring the seasonal affective disorder at least at a lower stage?

• Oh I know the answer pick me! Pick me up and toss the smiling apple around! haha Okay did you just say you don't have money for thearpy n stuff? Well I thought the same until I realize that each city has a mental health service. Look it up online and make an appointment! Go in their and they will help. I promise its free if you don't have that much money! I too deal with low moods and sadness and etc. I hope this helps! Bye!

• @apple24 you're so lovely
      Thank you once again :)

• Hi Anonymous,

Thank you for the question. A major therapy for SAD is light therapy. That is when you get a sunlamp (a lamp that emits 10,000 lux of light) and sit under it every day at a set time for a set number of minutes. It is usually used in the morning for 30-60 minutes.

Make sure that when you buy a lamp, it does emit that 10,000 lux of light or it will likely be ineffective. (Note that some sun lamps have been clinically tested and some have not. You'll pay more for one with science behind it but I would recommend it.)

Also, you should always check with a doctor before starting a treatment -- even with a sun lamp.

You may wish to read this for more on SAD: reference.medscape.com/.../seasonal-affective-disorder

- Natasha Tracy
      - http://natashatracy.com

What Guys Said 5

• I think the GaG community have done a good job of trying to silence people with these issues, so wouldn't be suprised if hardly anyone would bother to ask. My question is still kinda the same for Natasha.

What she thinks about, well any communities I guess that try to silence people who obviously need help. And what she thinks that would do to someone who struggle with any of this?

• It's not really about "silencing" people who have problems; you have to look at it from an admin perspective. Many, if not most, sites have policies concerning suicidal posts and messages, and for good reason. But we figured this would be an opportunity for to discuss openly with an expert. :)

• @Natasha_Tracy

I think in many ways, people can help each other a lot about such things. You should in many ways be able to reach out anywhere really. Cause nobody can get you so well as someone who goes through the exact same thing you do, and with like social sites where a lot of different people are, someone will get it. Someone would be of help. Phrases I heard all my life is how I been more helpful for example than any "proffesional", you dont need a license to help people no doubt. While humanity in general may be shitty, I dont think people should dismiss the everday person either. Like I mean, everyone shouldn't be on your shoulder spesifically Natasha, nor every proffesional either. It would be better and easier, if those who suffer could more easily help each other as well. Share our pains overall with so many, so it decreases the burden on the individual, so everyone could cope and manage, make life livable.

• @Natasha_Tracy

Anyways, that got long, sorry :).

Regardless, thank you for helping people :) and thank you for the time and effort you put into everything and on behalf of those who have forgotten to thank you, thank you there also :)

I hope you have a good day :)

Best of luck with everything in life :).

• Is it possible to maintain a healthy and happy relationship with someone who is bipolar? Also are the suicide notes rare in people who commit suicide because the notes are actually a cry for help?

• Hi blondfrog,

Thank you for your question.

Of course you can have a happy relationship with a person who has bipolar disorder! We are just like everyone else, just with special challenges. But, let's face it, we _all_ come with baggage and challenges..

The key is open communication. When something isn't working for you, you need to talk about it. The second key is the person with bipolar must be in treatment of some kind. If a person doesn't work on their illness, he or she likely isn't ready to work on a relationship.

You may want to read what I wrote here on loving a person with a mental illness. Also, check out the link to the book at the bottom. It's a very good book on the topic: natashatracy.com/.../

- Natasha Tracy
      - http://natashatracy.com

• Hi blondfrog,

Regarding suicide notes: No, I don't believe a note is necessarily a cry for help. What we know about suicide is that it happens very quickly. A person decides, seriously, to do it and then within minutes it's done. I suspect it's for that reason that suicide notes are not often written.

- Natasha Tracy
      - http://natashatracy.com

• What's with her hair? And who is this chump?

• I've got ADHD ASD and depression, what are the chances that I might find someone

• Also why do I feel suicidal more often during the evenings than the mornings

• Hi Waffles731,

As to why you feel more suicidal in the evenings I'm not sure.

To be honest, that's my bad time, too, so I know how you feel. I suspect it may be when my brain is less busy thinking about work and whatnot so it reverts back to thinking depressed thoughts. I also think I'm tired then, worn out from the day, and that adds to my feeling more depressed. The night itself -- the darkness -- may also have something to do with it. Finally, I feel the pressure of "doing something fun" at night which I, organically, do not wish to do and then I feel bad about not doing it.

I can tell you that I've changed my schedule so that I get up much earlier and that seems to have helped -- I'm not sure why. You could try this and see if it makes a difference for you.

Also, if you're taking medication you may be able to adjust your schedule such that you can even out your days -- perhaps breaking a dose in two, for example. You can talk to your doctor about it that's right for you.

...

• Waffles731,

Finally, ADHD medications are typically taken in the morning and often have a mood-elevating effect for people. It's because those are wearing off throughout the day that you may be feeling worse and worse. Again, talk to your doctor and see if this is a possibility.

I hope that helps.

- Natasha Tracy
      - http://natashatracy.com

• Oh, so we can talk about killing ourselves once a year. Interesting. It's like a festival!