Did you know that the Admins on GaG can still see who the Anonymous users are?

That's one of the reasons I don't like to post anonymously, especially if it's something very personal. While I hate posting anon, I do admit I have once done it in the past and regret it now that I know the Admins can still see who you are. I think it bothers me more for them to know than for anyone else, because they can share your privacy with other people. Not saying they necessarily would here on GaG, but that's what the Admins on the last site I was on used to do.

Most Helpful Guy

• It does kind of suck. But I'm not concerned much since pretty much never post anonymously.

What Girls Said 26

• I've known that for a few years. It's like that so they can see which account is trolling or breaking the rules and then ban them or delete their posts. I also know that they actually have to click on the word "anonymous" and it will bring them to the profile of whoever posted.

I'm glad that they can see behind the anons, though. While there's a lot of legit anon users, there are also many who are stalkers, creeps, virgin hunters (he always goes anon on his new accounts now), pedos, etc. These are people who need to be reported.

• Yes I do know that, even if I didn't know , I would assume they could see behind anon

I've had stalkers in the past and I have no idea who they were, because they abused the anon option so it's necessary for admin to have the ability to see behind anon to prevent people continually harrassing other users. It's a safeguard for genuine people on G@G. I would be more concerned if they couldn't see behind anon, that would prevent admin having control over the site because they wouldn't be able to keep track on those who use anon for ulterior motives

They will be able to put a block on anyone misusing G@G.

• Yes, I do know that. They can see the users behind all anonymous posts and read your messages. I don't think they look over everyone on a daily basis, though.

• i dont believe access to private messages is provided to any admin.

i know it's possible, and i'm sure the salaried employees have read our messages, but beyond them.,... that's it (except the NSA)

• @orphan long pass phrases are mathematically as complex as shorter random alphanumeric passwords with high complexity. I try to use them whenever possible.

My password locker phrase is something like 35 characters long, but mnemonicaly easy to remember.

• @Dandeus is a password locker one of those apps/software that stores all your passwords?

seems dumb in my opinion. like when you get locked up... nobody remembers any numbers to call (besides home) w/o their phone.

• I didn't realise until recently, i can see the need for it incase of any anons getting uppity and breaking rules. Maybe however have it so they can see who it is, but only after clicking a button. That way anonymity is still there but can be broken if needed. Thats how one forum im a mod on works anyway with regards to IP addresses.

• Yeah, I used to be a Mod on another site too and know the way it works, but don't really like it. That's why I always try to learn as much as I can about who's in charge. Knowledge is power.

• Yes, I do know that, but it still go anonymous sometimes. I've generally found the admins on this site to be very helpful and (so far) none of them have given me a reason not to trust them. I can see why you'd be a little sceptical though.

• Oh dear, now they know my sex secrets

• I don't think they can but meh!

• Yup, I knew about that.

• I'm not sure if that's a good design decision from them, I wouldn't allow it tho, but I don't post anonymous, if I want to say something I say it.

• I believe it... do the admins ever post, or make my takes though? that might be interesting...

• Not that I know of. When I was here a few years ago all the Admins were out in the open and made themselves known, now though they stay hidden.

• what a shame. i'm sure they could add to the conversation too.

• Yeah, I know. I don't think they really care though. Especially if it's someone like you. You're not very known around here and you don't even have your own pic on your profile. I reckon to them you're literally just some random dude. Someone's too paranoid.

• *facepalm* I'm really not one who likes to be in the spotlight or brag, and especially about credits, but the fact that I got to be an Editor here and have several Takes that get lots of responses and Likes doesn't say I'm that unknown. You may not know me, but many others do. However, I don't aim to be popular or even want to be, but I am known to some measure, yeah.

• I'm just saying that you're too paranoid. Like, I'm not worried at all. But I rarely post anon though.

• lol see even she thinks you re paranoid xD

• good thing i don't post anon :/ barely

• I was aware of that. It's necessary for them to see anon posts tho. They need to see who is posting what so that if any problems arise, they can be handled accordingly.

• yes i was aware of that

• Yeah they do see and investigate certain users and they can see our passwords

• Yeah

• No, I didn't know but I'm not surprised at all by that. I mean, they're admins after all.

• Yes that is so they can keep an eye on the trolls.

• I know.

• Everyone knows this.

• I already knew that a long time ago.

• That's amazing :0 lol they find out its me

• Lol duh.
    Of course they see the anon users

• it is part of their job to know

• I thought that was common knowledge.

• anything too personal shouldn't go on the internet, period

What Guys Said 15

• if they couldn't basically anonymous people would have free reign to behave however they wanted so admins should be able to see who every poster is so that they can adequately moderate and police the site

but trust me they aren't just going around snooping through anonymous posts.

• Yes, I knew that.

• They can see everything, all your deepest dark secrets guys. You can't run from the gag admins!!!

• i dont thin its a big unless im talking to someone that could be in the wrong way, and be called out on by the admin who know who i am. but i never do anything anon because i got no reason to be talking to others in a suspicious way.

• obviously lol

• Yeah it would be silly if they didn't know. But I doubt if they go snooping unless someone reports you and you cross the trolling line by a WIDE margin.

• Nah I didn't because it didn't really ever cross my mind, I never post anon because if I don't wanna share something I just won't post. But I did find out recently they could look at our DM's, shit crazy.

• who cares.

and the programmers/developers/owner can read our private messages.. along w/ the NSA.

comes w/ the territory.

• It's actually against the law for them to read your messages. The computer programmer on the last site I was on shared that with me when I was a mod. He showed me an actual Article section from the government saying it's illegal for site admins to look into your private messages.

• i don't care.

• I doubt they're doing anything illegal. Do you have proof?

• Yes. Even truth this users post under title of Anon then identity and IP are still available to admins.

I'm a programmer so I know my shit :)

• Everyone here is already pretty much anonymous unless they have their full details listed in their profile.

• I haven't posted anything anonymously 😂

• Don't worry, the Admins love everything I type here.

• Cool story bro.

• Yup

They can also read your private messages.
    And chat about it later with their friends here.

1 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more