Would you support this change in the block system?

I propose that you have to submit a sort of "block request" to the moderation staff in order to block someone. In other words, there would be an special option to report them if they were harassing you or sending you unsolicited penis pictures or whatever else, and from there the mod the manually block them for you. This prevents people from simply shutting someone down when they're owning you in an argument, but also makes sure people who have a legitimate reason to block are able to.

• Yes
  • No
  • I'm blocking you for this, cis shitlord
*when they're getting owned
Why the hell is this in Sexual Behavior? I picked "Other"...

Most Helpful Girl

Most Helpful Guy

• yeah, that'd be nice, but that would require the people running this site to do their job. they make updates that no one cares about or asked for even after asking people what they want changed or added. i'd also like to see who blocked me so i don't waste time writing answers, especially long ones only to find out i completely wasted my time :/

What Girls Said 8

• No, I don't support that sort of system.
    You're currently perfectly capable of blocking anyone, whether they be harassing you with dick pics or harassing you, without having to involve and require any moderators. The option to report users is also already available.

I agree that people blocking you during a discussion just so they could get the last word is annoying, but disabling such an option would ultimately be another form of censoring. This is forum, free-speech for everyone so long as it doesn't break any of the posting guidelines-
    http://www.girlsaskguys.com/faq/posts#9

• This proposal sounds like it's coming from a heavily blocked individual. Lol.
    I like the current method to click the word block on a users profile page when needed. Besides, if they are "owning" you in an argument, do you really want to prolong that situation?

• I worded it wrong it the body of the post, but corrected it in an update. I'm referring to when the other person is losing and blocks you ou of spite.

• lol oops

• I think we can all decide for ourselves when we no longer want to engage with someone. No one is entitled to another person's time or attention.

• No = I personally don't block people on any site but support others peoples freedom to do so automatically.

GAG is not a magistrates courtroom.

• no. kinda defeats the purpose of being able to block people

• People would still be able to block for legitimate reasons, just not out of childish spite.

• Absolutely no. We shall be able to block whoever we want.

• Why the heck would you want to restrict people's options more? It's kind of funny that I am saying that, but why would you want to give more power to the mods?
    If someone doesn't like a person, they should feel free to block them.
    No mod's intervention.
    The end.

• 1. More options for the user =\= a good thing

2. It gives them the opportunity to be a baby when they're losing an argument and shut down the conversation entirely

3. It saves the person who would be blocked a lot of time. Sometimes you write out a response only to discover their blocked you and it can't be sent.

• *they blocked

What Guys Said 5

• that last part.. LOL! XD

owning you in an argument hahahaha.

I could see it working if block requests are spread far and thin, but then again, just because it might work like that, doesn't mean it should be like that. I mean why give the mods the power to allow you to block someone? it should be within your right, not the mods.

• I voted for option C because it sounded good "cis shitlord" I might have to use that sometime. Anyway it sounds like a good idea to me

33.media.tumblr.com/.../...02zJfR1sxcftfo1_400.gif

• Does it ever get tedious posting the Doom Guy gif after every post?

• That's pretty much my thoughts on most FPS today, too. I rarely dive right into them when I don't know how they'll turn out.

• + 1 a wise man like you waits for what he wants, even if you're eager to play it's still a good idea to wait for the first patch at least (there will always be a patch)

• no. the delay would allow a harasser to continue to harass someone. Anyway, winning an internet argument is hardly useful, in the grand scheme of things. I take someone blocking me as my trophy. I have a whole case of them on facebook >:-)

• You can manually block anyone you need now.

• I don't want to block anyone. The purpose of this is making it impossible for people to block just because they're losing an argument, making their interlocutor look like an ass even if he's winning.

• That places undo burden on the moderators that have more important things to do.
      besides, I should have the ability to block people who are being assholes. it is rarely due to someone "losing" an argument. It is usually people that become nasty because the only way they know how to argue is by calling people names and saying vile things.
      The process they have is just fine.

• It wouldn't place "undo" burden on the mods, because they don't do shit right now.

If you were being flamed or harassed, you would be able to block. The filtering ability is the benefit of my system.

• But what if you just don't like someone?

• Maybe a separate option to hide their posts? It's kinda babyish to just hide from someone if you don't agree with them, though.

• This. Isn't. Work.

Have you ever actually had a debate ( official ) and won?

• I think i just realized why you get dropped so quickly.