Why does some users ask people to guess their ethnicity or race?

Is this important to them? What's the point of it?
I really don't get it.

Most Helpful Guy

• I thought I was the only one who didn't get it lol.

Not sure if they're doing some deep fishing for compliments or are genuinely curious. Because I tend to see them get pissed at anyone who simply answers the question and thank the thirsty people who throw in a 'Scandinavian, you look hot btw'.

• Ahaha

No, you're not the only who doesn't get it :)

Most Helpful Girl

• Maybe they've been told that they look like multiple races over the years and want to see what everyone thinks. Maybe they're looking for attention. Maybe they're bored.

What Guys Said 12

• Curiosity and or boredom most likely.

• I don't understand it either, feels like attention seeking to me.

• to check whether they can go along as a different ethnic guy/girl with the next date :P

• I guess they want to know what strangers think when they see them for the first time.

• I think it's just a random game they remember to do, because they are bored :p

• And some of them are secretly hoping they get some "woa, you are really pretty" and similar.
      But hey, that's human nature, almost wishing to be loved or cared. Messed up race xD

• sterotyping

• So they can know if they are able to play the tourist role in their countries OR EGO boost

• So they can be like "you're racist! I'm totally not Indian, I'm bengali...

• They're trolls that's why

• They want attention.

• hahaha

• Because -isms are crack for boredom.

What Girls Said 11

• Its just plain curiosity. As for myself when someone asks where Im from I usually say "guess". I think its because Im mixed race and I don't know its fun to know what people might think or guessed you were from. I've never ever had a person guess my ethnicity right, ever lol.
    And anyway Im more or less just making a conversation. For some reason the the ice just seems to break better when I say guess than just saying where I actually am from (if they ask).

• I'm not sure, i guess it's curiosity because here we do learn about other cultures. i dont have a problem with it, i think it's nice to connect from all over the world. helps us appreciate technology in this way too.

• I don't know... I wish they stop/:

• It's just a reason for them to post their picture on the Internet.

• I think some people ask because they had too many cross eyed idiots pestering them cos they look 'different' and some ask to self promote themselves in gag hoping some hunky dory ass to message them.

• Points for questions?

• curiosity, some people know their ethnicity lmao

• Boredom

• why do some users ask users why users ask people to guess their ethnicity or race?

• I did because I was honestly curious. I have been told my whole life I looked of a different race and if I was adopted because I didn't look like my family! lol when I was younger It use to bother me but once I got older I thought it was funny and would play a long I never got offended or anything

• Yeah i never understood the point of those stupid questions either.
    You try to guess, end up getting it wrong, and the asker gets pissed cause yous got it wrong. Like what the fuck? lol :P