How do you decide who to follow on GaG?

I've had two more people follow me today, and I just realized that I actually have more followers than I thought. I wish I knew why people follow me. I've only written two decent Mytakes, and my opinions generally aren't in line with the collective consciousness that dominates the internet.

I also realized that I need to follow some more people myself.
I have like 2 people that I'm following and one of them is the GaG account. Is it considered GaG etiquette to follow those that follow you? I just feel kind of weird about it because I don't really know to be honest how the "follow" thing works. Do I get a notification like if somebody answered a question or posted an opinion on one of my Mytakes?

Somebody needs to get this information out there. Hopefully I, along with all of the lurkers, can learn from all the posters that are GaG vets. I'm not incredibly active here, but I tend to go on binges where I'll be on here way too long, and then kind of disappear for a month or two.

Most Helpful Girl

• If you're me you decide to follow who you want weather you agree with all of their views or not. If you only follow those you agree with on everything then there's really no point of being on GaG since you'd only be following those with the same answers as yours.

Most Helpful Guy

• People do it for extra points at times but usually follow people that have the same interests and opinions as them or just seem like an interesting person, you follow them back if you like, at least that way you can exchange private messages back to each other since sometimes it don't go through if you don't follow each other

What Girls Said 5

• I follow people that I've had good conversations with, that are funny, that post good or thoughtful or intriguing opinions, and/or that seem like nice people.

• I follow people when I like the questions they ask or their replies to some certain questions.

When you follow them, you get a notification when they ask a new question. Kinda keepa you posted on them.

And should you follow back? Umm thats really up to you.

• That's not so bad if it's just for questions. I thought it would tell you every time they post an opinion. It's not that I wouldn't want to hear what people have to say, if I chose to follow them to begin with I probably do, there are just way too many notifications since they did an update or something...

• Oh snap. That's very helpful, and I'm glad I did follow you. No more "Asker liked your opinion" garbage!

• Lol :)) np

• Lol dude u only have 9 followers u need to chill.

• I didn't say I had a lot lol, just more than I thought I did. I was sure I had like 3...

• For the most part, I follow smart and well informed users because they post interesting opinions and/or good content.

• (smiling) I don't follow any one except the moderator and that is only because it was compulsory.

What Guys Said 4

• As mentioned in the FAQ ( http://www.girlsaskguys.com/faq/xper#57 ) you get 1xper for ever user the follows you.

I guess people follow you hoping that youd follow them back so that they can earn more xper points.

• Generally, I follow people back if I remember having pleasant interactions with them on this site :)

• I just follow them it's not a rocket science and it won't kill you

• Those who share the same views with me.

• That seems kind of counter intuitive. The best way to grow is to spend a lot of time with people that don't agree with you. It's also how you have a spirited debate.

• I don't have to follow these people. And no matter the debates, I stand to my beliefs and ideals like a rock which leads most times to me winning the debate.
      I like my personal calmness and I always keep it when I'm with people who share the same views and hobbies with me. @rose004b for example.

• @TheFlak38 Thanks for the mention :) I agree.

@Asker, you don't need to follow the people who disagree with you to debate them and see their content all over the place here.