Am I the only person on this site that has given up on reasoning with people on here?

From here on out, if anyone disagrees with me, that's cool. Get in line and take a number.

Most Helpful Guy

Most Helpful Girl

What Guys Said 20

• Yes, I sometimes feel that way too, although I haven't completely given up reasoning with (some) people. I believe there are two major problems on this site: firstly, while there might be many idiots, the bigger problem is that we're on the internet. We don't see each other, we can't touch each other. This creates an unnatural distance. For example I've seen people on here talk about very personal, painful things and other people reacted in a very untouched, indifferent way. I can't imagine people reacting that way in real life. If somebody came up to you in a starbucks, sat down at your table and told you that his dad just died, you wouldn't say "oh well, too bad for you". But on the internet, many people do this. This lack of empathy and interest in other people makes it very difficult to have reasonable discussions with most people. Conversations turn ugly fast and most people on GaG are unbearable smartasses (even if they might be shy introverts in reality).
    Secondly, I find it very unfortunate that politics is such a touchy topic in the US. I say this because I enjoy discussing politics and there are a lot of Americans on here. I believe that here in Europe, we have the ability to be much more civil and calm even when talking about politics. I have lived in America for some time and before I moved there, I was advised "never talk about politics, religion or sex with Americans". I ignored the advice and regretted it soon after. In the beginning, I had some extremely heated arguments where people totally freaked out on me simply because I had a different opinion. I don't know why politics makes Americans so angry but this is how it is. This makes such discussions on this site very, very cumbersome. For example I can't remember how many times I was called a "fucking communist" on here simply because I've criticized capitalism. As though being against the consumption of meat automatically means that you must be a religious vegetarian who hates and condescends anyone who has the impertinence of even gazing upon a piece of meat (as a metaphor).

• One mustn't hope to reason with the unreasonable.

• i think my number was 1.567.234 l but yeah i see your point , but with al site or forums you have growing pains and you jsut have to adjust yes there will be people who rage quits etc. but for the main part its mostly just in one ear and out the other.

i know a forum i was a part of a few years ago got so full the mods and admins began having fun with the members picking on them and stuff. it was funny but annoying. they even went as far as to call them self super mods and making people sub mods when they were tired of doing there daily jobs.

this site is way better than that i think.

• GaG is meant for debate, guess people often forget that there are opposing opinions and theirs is not always believed by everyone to their surprise. From what I've seen you are not shallow, and have a deep sense to you. For someone your age, you are one of the most intelligent people I've met in terms of wisdom and maturity. You can disagree with me anytime you want I love an intellectual discussion as long as were not badgering each other, I think it's healthy.

• Thank you that's very kind of you. This came from an opinion on my take about why I prefer nice guys and someone said the whole take was a lie and I was doing it to seem less shallow. I don't know why I tried to reason with him.

• @Floppy I think in the google link it mentions that it is for girls to ask guys questions and to debate the differences between them.

• You did say it. :) I was hoping we thought alike :D "The definition of nice guy might not be what you’d expect. A nice guy does not mean he’s a pushover, doormat, or weak person. A nice guy simply means he doesn’t play games, he’s confident and consistent with himself, and he has strong core values and morals." Very well said I liked that take, I agree with your take on nice guys and how you define them. I think that what a lot of guys don't get right is that bad boys have an edge or confidence in themselves, as well as provide variety. That's about all they do provide that's positive in my mind.

• Sometimes it's annoying to deal with certain people, but how are you gonna learn when you don't hear other people out?
    Dealing with unreasonable people is obviously a no, but ignoring them just because they disagree will do more harm to you than to them.
    I'd rather get in an argument with someone who knows how to argue, than simply just say "cool".

• I know, I know. I tried with this site so I can actually learn a few things from other perspectives. I still remember being so optimistic about people on this site. Just sick and tired of being called a shallow whore or a stupid woman for disagreeing. If they seem reasonable, and I know they are a rational person from I don't know older posts or something, I will discuss with them but will walk away when it turns into an argument.

• Yeah, that's understandable. This site has certain "special" individuals, but hey, that's life, just ignore the idiots xD

• If people are using gag as a training tool for situations in life where you need to get along with people to accomplish something meaningful, they're pretty fucked. This site is entertainment, totally inconsequential. It's not a workplace or a family gathering. Why waste leisure time dealing with idiots?

• Presenting people with a well reasoned argument has an effect, it just isn't usually immediate. If they are at all intelligent and not blinded by emotion it will eat away at them and they will have to eventually come to terms with it. That's the power of truth.

• Much like real life, there are some topics you are allowed to have differing opinions on and some where, if you do not agree, most everyone hates you.
    There are also some people who will never listen to reason. Discerning who is what is tricky.

It is however a very natural part of society but I can agree that it gets tiring and that it might be better if it wasn't so prevalent on Gag.

• I don't know.
    I can be reasonable,
    When downvote git removed I wanted them back and created a poll on that,
    Someone on here made a case on why it was better (the reasoning was that it forces you to tell why you disagree to further comminication) I actually stood back and realized that he was right and I changed my mind. I still think today that he was rigjht

• Is something bugging you? I thought I should ask

• I have had my own share of political differences with family and relatives myself.
      but what can you do you know

• When that happens I find its best to just get some rest

• Nah. People block me a lot.

• you are not the only person. i especially hate those people who seem to be convinced they are ugly. and every attempt one makes to make them feel better, just results in more negativity.

• Hehe. I felt like that too sometimes. Now, im not bragging. But i feel like my iq and reasoning is better so i just ignore them..

• You can't reason with the unreasonable.

• I feel it some people get way too butt hurt if you trying to explain something and they sometimes take it too serious

• It's difficult to speak to people who think they're always right. Even out here in the real world. Makes me not want to say anything sometimes.

• You have no idea how hard it was to hold my tongue today as my parents talked politics. I mentioned that we should stop giving handouts to billionaires which I thought was safe to say because the only people who will disagree are the rich. The next thing I know my brother in law is saying that I don't believe it's okay for anybody to be a billionaire. Don't know how when got that, he used to sensible to talk to.

• Politics is one of the worst discussions to have with people. Everyone who is into politics will be heavily opinion oriented and seeing another person's point of view is practically imponderable. It's like it doesn't matter what you talk about. You can go from religion to politics to economics all the way down to color. Some people just want to make an argument out of everything.

• Was my pedo joke that damaging?

• No. I'm getting to that point too. I totally feel where you're coming from

• no, some people are just irational and are not prone to reasoning.

• that's not what it's for

• I understand I haven't though

• Yes I feel the same about women and abortion and disability rights and judging looks in men. And you are the worse offender. Don't women ever lesson. And people aren't obliged to listen to you.

What Girls Said 6

• hahah i like this!
    I'm usually like that. when i get a troll or annoying comment, ill either ignore, answer sarcastically, or if it's something i need to make sure isn't misunderstood, ill explain it.
    NOW if that last muhfuh doesn't wanna take that, i'll wish them a good day, or block them if they're getting antagonistic.

• I think this is a platform for sharing as well as discussion, and if you want to contribute great, and if not, that's fine too.

• I've had that opinion for quite some time. The Internet has exposed the fact that there are more idiots on this planet than I ever thought existed. They all seem to live in the middle of nowhere have no experience in life and have no education. So I agree with you

• You don't owe mentally imcompetent people anything especially an explanation. They create their own demise.

• Some people find life sorely unfulfilling if they are deprived of a ridiculous argument where they can anonymously try to troll another well-meaning individual. Sucks to be them.

• You are not the only one. I stopped taking this site seriously ever since I joined again. The way I see it like you said there are plenty of people ahead in line so they can hop on board