Don't you think such opinions should be banned?

● I don't know
● Do what you want
● I'm confused
● Haha lol
● Probably
Etc.
Etc.
Etc.

As you can see, such opinions don't help users at all. They're posted solely for Xper hunting. These opinions can be submitted to any question out there. They should be hidden under "non-sense" (or any other reason) as they are lacking information and is implicit spamming.

I mean, if you don't know, why answer?

• Yes. It should be banned
  • No. Such answers are important

Most Helpful Girl

• I don't think anyone's answers to anything should be banned. What kind of OPINION website would ban people's opinions just because you don't think they're useful?

Those kinds of opinions should let you know that you didn't articulate your question well, or that, God forbid, someone isn't able to take a definitive stance on an issue. Believe it or not that's actually the most common and sometimes more intelligent response.

You'll realise it when you'll become an old user of the site. But I liked the
      "What kind of OPINION website would ban people's opinions just because you don't think they're useful?"
      Part.

Well at least you think I'm half right anyway. That's more than most people

Most Helpful Guy

• I believe that opinions where you qualify (i. e. "Maybe," "I don't know," "one or the other") are valid answers, but only when you explain why.

One could extremely easily go on the relationship section, not even read the question, and type in "idk" as an answer. In the rules like you mentioned, I believe it actually would count the "idk" statement as "nonsense" technically (it gives "lack of details"). However, it is rarely hidden.

If someone asks a question like "Do they like me?" answering "I don't know" tells them absolutely nothing. Why? Because they are asking the question in the first place! Why would someone ask a question about relationships or serious topics if they knew the answer already?

That being said, if there is a question that describes a person giving mixed signals and the person really could be going both ways, I can understand an "idk" answer... But only if they explain why! Explaining basically helps say, "I read your question, but I don't think there is enough evidence to support either side. I can't choose a side because of that."

Nevertheless, while I may not always hide them (though sometimes will depending on question/answer), they still annoy me :/

On the ones you mentioned...
    -- "I don't know" -- already explained position
    -- "Do what you want" -- generally valid depending on question, especially if given more substance to answer
    -- "I'm confused" -- valid. Questions can often be worded weirdly
    _ "haha lol" -- invalid on serious/legit questions, but valid on questions meant to be humorous
    -- "probably" -- valid. I see probably as meaning mostly yes, which at least takes a side.

Good. 😊👍

I was talking about only serious genuine questions containing enough details tho.

What Girls Said 25

• I don't know, I'm confused. Probably? Do what you want, haha lol.

• I don't really agree with either of your options here. I don't really think that they are always important, but if you ask a question that may honestly be their response. Wouldn't you rather know that there are other people out there who don't know the answer to what you're asking and are in the same situation as you or that someone doesn't understand your question and needs more info to answer instead of getting no response? If you ask a question like "does this mean he likes me?" wouldn't it very well be possible that "probably" is their opinion? What if you ask a question like "i don't know if I should follow through with this or if I should stop now?" In that case, "do what you want" could be the best response they have. As for "haha lol" there are a lot of questions/mytakes/polls that are kind of silly and are intended for entertainment more than anything else. in that case, "haha lol" would be a legitimate response and it wouldn't be fair to ban that type of response.

As things are now, you can report opinions if they aren't legitimate responses to the post. That's why the "nonsense" category exists. However, these comments are not generally detrimental to the discussion on the question and can typically be ignored. So i don't think they should be banned either.

I was talking about good genuine questions with enough details.

Actually, they could be removed contextually. There are a lot of things which could be hidden on one question but not on another based on what the intention is. This could be implemented but I don't think they would do it because it would make the site more serious and could decrease the traffic.

And that's the purpose of the report button I think? i mean, i probably don't understand what exactly you mean by "removed contextually" but i'm pretty sure that's what the report button's use it. so that you can report comments that will then be removed or left as is based on the situation. again, i could be wrong, but i just don't see the need to change things from the way they are now. i guess i haven't experienced this problem as much as you have?

• Most of these should not be put by themselves, meaning they should go along with additional information. Short vague answers are okay but they shouldn't express that you don't know (e. g I don't know, I'm confused), as you said why answer if you don't know? As for 'haha, lol', if you're taking the question as a joke why bother answer? 'Probably' is the only one that I see no problem with it.

Oh and I think 'do what you want' is fine too depending on the context, but of course it's always better if more thought was put into it.

Yes! You understand me ;_;

• it really shows people don't have a thinking muscle and are too lazy to put forth a proper or a direct answer other than saying they don't know shit.

• Well, if someone is confused, that more opens the door for the asker to explain the situation to them in a clearer manner so that they can answer accordingly. It also depends on what the asker was asking. If it was a silly question meant for silly answers, then I wouldn't say it's spamming exactly. If it's a more serious question, then yes, it most likely is. I don't think these kinds of answers are important, but I don't really think they should be banned.

• When people opine "I'm confused" and asker replies with details, the opinion owner doesn't reply back because he/she earned the Xper.

• Well they're not helpful but it'd be kinda dumb and difficult to BAN opinions like those. Knowing how GAG works they'd ban those specific words regardless of the order they'd be in so you'd need to change your entire opinion so you can post it without having "lol" or "probably" or "don't/know"

True. "Nonsense" is the most most difficult guideline to understand and implement.

• Uhm.

I think people should be allowed to state their opinions no matter how stupid or ridiculous it maybe.

:\

• I don't know.. think what you want.. I am a bit confused.. haha.. lol.. but probably they will be banned.. maybe.. I am not sure.. xD.. 😄😄

• If we don't know, we just don't know but want points. Even if it pisses others off we need them points damn it! :P

• I don't know, maybe. Maybe these answers are important.

• I'm not sure how that could be policed, but I think you have a good point. People will always be dumb

• Not banned per se, because sometimes the QA really doesn't give that much information or are just plain confusing.

• Report them as nonsense.

• Yup. But theyre sometimes just quicker and easier..

Easier to what? (As they don't help the asker)

"Yeah" is a good opinion. It is a decision made.

The opinion shouldn't necessarily be long but meaningful.

• I don't know. What do you think? I'm confused babe. Meh. Probably, I guess!

Lol hahaha

• The worst one is 'No one cares'

• If you dislike those opinions don't give them MHO. :)

• No, that's what some people's opinions are lol

• It doesn't matter.

• I'm not sure about banned exactly, but I can see how they are useless.

• Point gaming is already banned

• I wouldn't say the answers are important but I don't think it should be banned.

• Doesn't it deride the value of the site?

• Maybe a little but is it that hard to just ignore it?

• I don't mind but some people don't receive more than 2-3 opinions on their questions and when you receive such opinions only, you'll realise that there's no point in asking for help here.

• I don't know (;

• Hmm
    .

• Everyone is entitled to their opinion, the recipient does not have to take it on board, they can just ignore it why ban it? no sense.

What Guys Said 26