Sex Wars: Why do some GaGers turn every civilized discussion about one sex's opinion into a huge debate?

I find often that when guys and girls have a opinion about an issue that pertains to their gender, the other gender gets automatically offended by it and makes blanket statements about ALL women or ALL men. Are they bitter about men/women from past experiences? Do they truly HATE all men/women? What's the deal people?

Most Helpful Guy

• Cause they feel better about themselves if they put the opposite gender beneath them, if they make them look worse.

I've asked questions dedicated to one gender and there's always people that comment "well, girls/guys do this too". That wasn't the question, the question was about that gender, stick to what was asked.

Many people here are way too bitter towards the opposite gender.

Most Helpful Girl

• I think many of the people who are guilty of turning a perfectly civilized discussion into them being on the defensive and throwing out complete generalizations and insults against an entire sex because they're basing their opinion is fueled completely by bitterness following having been rejected a few times, as opposed to a logical argument. To them, it's easier to crucify and entire sex for the actions of a few select people instead of realizing that perhaps, any shortcomings were in their own court.

What Guys Said 14

• Isn't a civilised discussion basically a debate though? I dont think there is anything wrong with asking questions about someone's opinions, unless your intent is to simply state something and declare it gospel - which there are places that dont allow opinions to be posted where people can do that.

As for on here, you have people who are open-minded and consider both sides argument and you have those who refuse to see it any either way. As long as it doesn't devolve into mud slinging and trolling, it's good that people disagree on things.

• I agree. There is nothing wrong with debate. However, I have a issue with people who resort to name-calling and just offensive statements (like "Women are cunts"). Unfortunately, there a lot of men and women who resort to this kind of behaviour in a debate that should be civilized.

• Those people are best ignored or blocked. Those ones you just can't save really they are, as that sexy guy below put it, butthurt. Im sorry you have to put up with thst nonsense.

• Past experiences no doubt.

Experience shapes perception. Perception shapes reality. Until they experience something so strong that it changes their perception, they're gonna hold onto it like their life depends on it.

• I hate to say it but this place is getting depressing, it sucks we all can't share anything without it becoming political or sexism debate. I'm getting to the point that I really don't want to share anything on here anymore.

• It's a shame, isn't it? The GaG community as a whole is really great, but there are unfortunately a few "bad apples" that spoil it for everyone else. I really wish there were stricter rules against hateful comments and personal attacks.

• Right, we have some great question askers and mytake writers who get their articles overshadowed because it doesn't talk about sex or anything controversial. Which there's nothing wrong with writing or asking about sex or. political matters, but there's more to life that that.

• I read Star Wars and got disappointed by the content of this question.

• LOL. Sorry to disappoint you. But "sex sells", doesn't it? :P

• They just feel personally attacked if somebody says something negative about their gender. So their response to this is being offensive to the whole of the other gender.

• I've had much the same experience as you describe and especially as @AleDeEurope describes with the "girls/guys do this too" thing.

Gender can be a very charged and sensitive issue. I won't lie, it's pretty annoying to me too when I see the girls trying to get at guys while they pretend they don't, and crying when guys do it to them.

However, there are situations where the other gender IS wrong, and they just don't like hearing it. It doesn't make a girl right just because other females come to vote her up against the guy, and it doesn't make a guy right just because he wants to answer first and beat the girls to the punch.

• 1|0
  • Why do women ask questions like this on here, pretending that they mean both sexes, when really they are just accusing men?

• That's complete BS. Its people like YOU who have issues with one gender (women) with statements like this. There are assholes on both sides, and guess what, you are one of them.

• I'm honest about it, though. Sexism in the Western world is almost entirely one-way, against males. I say that openly.

Just say what you really think. This attempt to smokescreen feminism, in panicky response to the collapse in male interest towards women, is getting really tiresome.

• Because what you refer to as ' civilised ' probably does contain implicit assumptions of some variety of another. That happens to be my speciality ;-)

• Wellletsbe honest.. If we all had perfect relationships we wouldn't be here...
    Yes sometimes people here can get emotional and respond that way.. But tjays also the whole point of this site.. Sometimes a little conflict and anger can be helpful in understanding each other

• hun you gotta understand we live in a day where people try to decide whats right and wrong

and they are so wrong in so many ways cause when people try to decide whats right and wrong

then there is no right and wrong cause no one is better than the next person

• its not just sex wars, its people wars too. i said that steph curry was overrated the other day and some jackass said he disgreed, started attacking me. i get that people have their own opinions but dont start attacking me if you dont agree with me

• that is because women won't accept the issues that pertain to their gender. They won't accept responsibility I mean, like cheating, lying judging looks.

• OMG. people like you prove my point exactly! There are some MEN who do the exact same thing (lying, cheating, etc.), but again, there is no arguing with a woman-hater.

• There you are. Turning the tables.

• Because having access to the internet doesn't require a mental health background check.

What Girls Said 7

• Yes I totally agree. I once made a my take about how I prefer the nice guys over the stereotypical bad boy and I was told I made the my take in an attempt to seem less narrow minded and was called a shallow whore. I may very well leave after I redeem all the points I can.

• I hear you. My article on online dating from the prospective of a woman got a lot of hate from men saying I am "just complaining".

• @Asker
      If you wrote the take I'm thinking of, then please that wasn't anything to complain about whatsoever. Guys on there were just presenting their own perspective.

• This site is full of misandry and misogyny. It's starting to get depressing.

• Please don't pretend to be concerned by misandry.

• @evenlift so just because I don't like men who hate women makes me a feminist? Who the fuck are you to say what women are concerned with? I see men and women as equals and dislike misandry and misogyny. But when assholes like you make idiotic blanket statements against ALL women, it is misogynistic. I pity you that you have such a narrow-minded view of women, because I certainly don't have that view of all men.

• I didn't say all women. You're over-eager to use those feminist talking points.

I'm sure that there are men you like, those men who will put up with feminism as long as they get patted on the head for it.

• Some people simply truly do not have the social skills or communication skills to have an open, honest dialogue where they exchange their thoughts without trying to turn it into some huge, draining, extensive debate that becomes all about some pathetic urge to stroke their ego. Conversations tend to be fruitless, unproductive, and centered around ego/self-absorption when the other person only acts like there's some big, shiny trophy at the end of the talk.

• It's impossible to have a debate with opinion online without triggering or pissing someone off. People online are honest

• While many people are agreeing with out of the bat, I think you should be providing some examples of when that happens.
    Most sex opinions/ discussions are rarely civilized to start with.

• Well, for example, the topic of online dating came up from a Woman's perspective. There were a lot of men who made blanket statements like "Women are just gold-diggers" and "All Women are shallow". Its blanket statements like this about Women/Men that I dislike; a simple discussion turns into hatred for one gender.

• People take things too personally.

• Some people are just dicks and bitches, no matter what gender (sometimes their both, lol)