Why can't people post responses on here without resorting to slandering someone else?

So I was just on a post having a discussion with a guy and because I didn't agree with his opinion he resorted to:
1) calling me "stupid" and "moron"
2) telling me I "if only you could put two and two together"
3) telling me I "can't follow simple logic"
Seems very immature, but came from a 69 year old guy.
Hilarious is the fact that I have two university degrees - one in engineering and the other in business - with high distinctions and this guy is calling me a stupid moron lol...
I have never experienced this before on GAG. Anyone else?

1|0
10|7

Most Helpful Guy

• Well, there are two answers to your question.

The first is "People very commonly post responses here without resorting to slander and insults, what the fuck are you talking about?"

The second is "It appears that you were speaking with an asshole"

1|0
    0|0
    • 3mo

Thanks for your response. I agree people commonly post and don't resort to that - it is the first I have come across it. And yeah I guess you were right, speaking with an asshole lol.

Most Helpful Girl

• I am Experiencing a little more than I have ever had. It's just bad manners and no class up their ass. And too, the internet.
    Either Block them or put up up with them. They don't realize that they are the stupid moron and they only make themselves look bad.

0|0
    0|0
    • 3mo

I hadn't experienced it before. Very true that they make themselves look bad by behaving badly. Thanks for your response and good suggestion to block him, thanks

• Show All
    • 3mo

Oh, I am so glad to hear this, and with starting to be in a whole new class of Friends has helped me a lot and No longer in a Click with those who are female dicks as well as male ones. lol

• 2mo

Thank you for the Vote of Confidence. xx

What Guys Said 6

• Countless times, it makes me want to hug them, pitiful people that they are.

1|0
    0|0
    • 3mo

Wow I didn't realise it was that common - that's true, very pitiful!

• 3mo

There were this girl the other day, calling everyone who replied to her question "retard" and "idiot" because we couldn't give her exactly what she wanted. She explained herself by stating "if I feel like soneone is an idiot, I will tell them so". Oh well, live and let live.

• 3mo

You wonder where people pick up the idea that behaviour like that is acceptable... yeah like you said, live and let live :-)
      Thanks for your responses :-)

• The illogical person uses those attacks against your character instead of attacks against your arguments. This is called the ad hominem fallacy. Very common in politics

2|0
    0|0
    • 3mo

Thanks heaps!! I didn't realise that behaviour had a name but I have come across it before (just not on gag before).

• Show All
    • 3mo

That is a really good video , thanks for sharing that :-)

• 3mo

No problem :)

• It's mostly guys I see acting like that on here. They want a reaction and enjoy getting nasty on the internet with someone. They're losers, end of story.

1|0
    0|0
    • 3mo

Thanks for your opinion. Yes this was a guy and he did get nasty, like out of the blue calling me names. haha very true, just a loser.

• A lot of people who come here and condescend people are usually angry out in the real world but they have nothing to take it out on so they vent their fustrations on here.

1|0
    0|0
  • most people do

You have to factor in, a lot of people on here are ridiculously sensitive/precious

0|0
    0|0
    • 3mo

That seems to be what a lot of people have said - that lots of people do it. Maybe I have just been lucky until now not to have seen it before. That is probably true that people are sensitive. Thanks for your response.

• just ignore him, end of story

0|0
    0|0
    • 3mo

Yeah that's good advice! Thanks :-)

What Girls Said 9

• I have all the time but for the record you can have all the university degrees you want and still lack basic common sense. Not saying you do but you could

1|1
    0|0
    • 3mo

Thanks for your opinion. Maybe but I don't think anyone has the right to call others a stupid moron without knowing them.

• 3mo

I agree to an extent

• It's easier to attack someone through a screen and get into a silly argument versus a educated or friendly debate.

0|0
    0|0
  • Unfortunately, it is a common thing here. These are people who have nothing better to do than to act bog and bad behind a computer screen. He is probably miserable and misery loves company. Ignore it.

0|0
    0|0
    • 3mo

Thanks for your response. That is true - a lot of people are much braver behind a computer screen. Thanks, yep not worth losing sleep over.

• They've been in their own little box for far too long

1|0
    0|0
    • 3mo

Agreed!!! Thanks for your response

• 3mo

but you know this place is full of depressive angry people.. They'll snap at anything you see. An emotional time bomb waiting to disintegrate.

• 3mo

Yes it seems - I mean I have come across some really cool people on here, and then this guy...

• Because they want to get to you. It appears he succeeded.

1|0
    0|0
    • 3mo

No he didn't get to me, but just wondered how common it is on here because haven't experienced it here before. I've just escaped a husband who was just like him, would hurl insults and he was far worse than this guy.

• If it's never happened to you before ur lucky.

1|0
    0|0
    • 3mo

Thanks for your response, I guess until now I have been lucky !

• I think you probably meant to put libel as that is written.
    Slander is spoken.

1|0
    0|0
    • 3mo

ok. everyone seems to know what I meant

• Show All
    • 3mo

Yeah I know I didn't realise there was two terms - the spoken and the written one - you learn something every day :-)

• 3mo

We certainly do. :)

• What a douche

0|0
    0|0
    • 3mo

Yeah I agree! I guess it takes all sorts to make the world. Thanks for your response :-)

• 3mo

No problem

• This happens on gag all the time

0|0
    0|0
    • 3mo

I hadn't actually come across it, maybe I have just been lucky until now.
      Thanks for your response!